Charging for Early Check-In?

Charging for Early Check-In?

I recently changed the description of my listing to state that I would charge $25 to guests who want to check-in early or check-out late. 

Probably 60% of my guests either ask to check-in early or to drop their bags off so they can explore the city. It is actually a nuisance to deal with because it disrupts the cleaning process. I really did so in hopes that it would deter people from asking to check-in early, but if they really wanted to at least there would be some incentive for me to expedite the cleaning. 

Do you think this is a good idea, or do you think guest would think I am trying to nickel and dime them?

49 Replies 49
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I think that your listing narrative is really very well written. You have added the extra fee, but if I recall correctly, any extra fees need to be noted in the House Rules section for AirBNB to enforce it. I do think that your disclaimer if possible is important and well done.

One note: This sentence, "Same Day Bookings may require up to 3 hours of preperation time." has one typo that you might wish to fix. That should be "preparation" time.

Will you let us know how your future guests respond to the modest early/late fee?

@Susan151 I will have to read the policy about extra fees to make sure I am in accordance with the rules. And thank you for alerting me of that typo. I dont know how I missed that. 

I will defintely give some feedback on how guests respond to the fee. 

I think it's an interesting idea and am curious to see if more guests just decide not to bother checking in early or late or if they don't think it's a problem. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kalin-And-Marquis0 people often ask without really considering what it does to the schedule. I've agreed to early checkin and then had them show up later than my actual time. So, now when they ask, this is my offer:

"I'm happy to allow you an earlier arrival (later departure) gratis IF it is available that day, although I will not know this for sure until 24 (12?) hours beforehand. However, if you would like to guarantee an earlier arrival (later departure) then there is a fee required to block off the additional time and/or increase the size of the cleaning crew in order to accomodate."

My fee is $10/hour for up to 4 hours of more time, after that I charge 50% of the night's rate. Making it a /hour charge makes them really consider do they need that extra time (and therefore it has value to them) or would they rather just find something else to do until checkin time.

Also, I do not allow for luggage storage bc in my experience they don't just want to drop the bags, they want to change, wash up, look around, etc. And I don't want to be responsible for their gear (I had expensive jewelry in my bag and now it's goooooone!).

If the fees are disclosed ahead of time then you aren't nickle/diming, you're asking to be compensated for your time. They asked for extra and it's extra. People who want extra for nothing aren't my idea of ideal guests.

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Kelly149I agree with you that people don't want to 'drop off luggage' they want to do everything that is the same as actually checking in, 'Can i use your bathroom?/I just need to charge my phone/I need to grab some stuff out this bag"

Essentially they want to check in early regardless of if they say they just want to drop luggage off.

I thought about offering charges for early checkin but it's just a hassel and annoying when people kind of just dis-regard my check in time. Now everyone as an opening message gets:

"Hi, look forward to seeing you!
Let me know if you want skimmed/semi/whole/soya milk for tea & coffee and I'll make sure I've got some in.

Just a reminder before you arrive, check in is from 6pm, checkout is 11am. Unfortunately I'm unlikely to be in the house during the day for you to drop luggage, but I can advise of nearby luggage storage should you need it.

And lastly, strictly no extra guests in the flat other than those booked on Airbnb.

See you soon! 

I found pre-empting the questions on luggage has paid off so well. occationaly people book and ask with the booking for luggage storage, and they get sent the same info for nearby luggage places, saves sooooo much hassel.

@Kelly149 Thank you for your feedback. I like your system. Have many guests stayed the extra 4 hours or longer?

I also do not like being responsible for their luggage before checking in. You are so right about them wanting to wash up and more. The times where I have allowed luggage drop off, I dont allow them to actually enter the home. I allow only 2 guests and people have showed up with 3 or more, saying the others arent actually going to stay, but they still end up using the bathroom and washing up before they head out. 

@Kalin-And-Marquis0 a few have paid but much more realized that they could occupy themselves and keep their $20 and decided they’d rather do that. 

I agree w @Louise231 that if you pre-empt the question with a solution that works for you then people are better behaved. So, you haven’t said no to early arrival but you have said I’ll be busy til 4, this nearby shop is a great place to grab a coffee if you’re in the neighborhood early. 

Every situation is different (most of my guests have a car so “storage” isn’t really an issue. ) So, just decide what works for you & be proactive. 

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Kalin-And-Marquis0tbf i'm fairly relaxed about storing luggage on check-out (on weekends). Most of my weekend guests stay fri-sun and because i've told them i can't do storage initially, if i build a rappor with a guest and decide i'm ok with leaving their bags in the corridor a few hours on sunday they become very greatful.

But it's a big difference to before they got an automatic email saying no to storage, when people used to ask then get digruntled if they got a no, they used to feel like i was being unhelpful. now because they get told straight away, they're all fine and it's a nice 'extra' if i can look after on check-out.

I 100% agree with this. The few times I have either allowed early luggage drop or had a guest drop their luggage early without warning, I’ve found the luggage left spread out, clothes hung up, wash rags already used, sometimes luggage left open! I have a $25 early check-in fee that allows for 2 hours earlier. It is a hassle. I always give them ideas of things to do and we aren’t a fly-in location. Often, my guests will say, ‘nah, we’ll just wait,’ but occasionally, they will want to pay. It’s an extra few bucks for my cleaners because it means I have to reschedule them.

they think they will "just wait", they are casual and easygoing... until it is 3pm on arrival day, after air travel, and they want to get in.

@Kelly149 

Also, I do not allow for luggage storage bc in my experience they don't just want to drop the bags, they want to change, wash up, look around, etc. And I don't want to be responsible for their gear (I had expensive jewelry in my bag and now it's goooooone!).

Abso- lutely! agree!

How can you refuse that they use the toilet or "wash hands" (which turns into unpacking and changing clothes!) when they drop off the luggage!

After having a guest accuse my cleaners of "stealing" her plastic bag full of cosmetics, which she left because we courteously allowed her to drop off her luggage before cleaners were done, free of charge, we have changed our policy to be stricter.

@Kelly149 I fully agree, guests thing hosts are "nickel and diming" when we ask for extra so some explanation is needed I like the way you stated it.  I think better to refuse, for luggage storage, because the downside is so much higher than any possible small upside "fee" you could get.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

If my guest suite is all prepped and ready to go then I let guests check in early. Usually all they want to do is drop off their luggage so that they can head out enjoying their visit to the beach, their business meetings, etc. If my guest suite is not ready then I offer letting them drop their stuff off in the closets (which really don't need any cleaning anyway). They can hang out in the outdoor patio areas if they actually want to hang around at the house before check in. I don't charge. Often times guests check out hours EARLY so it all evens out. I don't think airbnb even allows you to charge more for early check in.

Personally I think it's tacky and cheap to charge people a fee for checking in a few hours early if the place is all ready to go. I try to treat guests like friends and family. So far they've all been nice, normal people.

I think the problem of Early Check-in can be removed by ABNB implementing this as an add-on for the reservation.

If ABNB modifies their app, it becomes a feature that rewards hosts

This feature would remove the hastle of responding to this question (for nearly every reservation), and reward the host if the customer wishes to select this option.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kalin-And-Marquis0

My check out time is until 11am (it used to be 12, but I found it didn't always allow me enough time) and check in between 3 and 9pm. I also get soooo many guests wanting to check in early or drop off bags.

In the beginning, I used to let them drop off bags, but there were too many problems, as mentioned by others, like them turning up late anyway. Or they would refuse to come back at the agreed check in time for the tour, demand the keys, want to use the bathrooms/bedrooms. None of this is ideal when you are in the middle of cleaning/turning over the place.

I got fed up with guests wasting half my day or giving me low cleanliness ratings because they showed up before I had finished cleaning (see my thread about it here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-can-I-stop-guests-ignoring-the-check-in-time/m-p/304...)

I tried charging for early check in, really just to deter guests from requesting it, but it didn't work. It just seemed to encourage them to ask to drop their bags off early but they never seemed to want to pay for that. So, now I am just really strict about my check in times, unless an early check in works better for me. I provide them with links to inexpensive left luggage services. Most seem fine with that, but there are always a few that will just keep asking to come early.

However, I have found that charging for late check in works. I charge £5 an hour for every hour after 9pm (stated in my house rules) and guests wanting to check in late usually mention themselves that they will pay this fee. If they are coming only slightly late, e.g. 9.30, I wouldn't charge it though.

If guests are really nice and I'm gong to be around anyway, then I don't mind storing their bags for free after check out (or sometimes letting them check out late if a new guest isn't coming that day) and don't charge for this, but I certainly wouldn't advertise it or promise it in advance.