Charging for babies

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Charging for babies

I have been taking small children (babies) for no extra charge, although Airbnb told me it's up to the host whether or not to charge.  I'm realizing there's a downside to hosting families with small babies.  They may not use your bed, but if my current guests (young couple with 4 month old) are typical I have to re-think my policy.  First, I've found couples with babies stay around the house more, cook more, use more water (sterilyzing bottles, bathing, doing laundry) and there's a lot more mess in the kitchen than I've had with other guests, including dirty floor.  I can handle the extra cleanup and extra water (though we have a drought and are under strict water rationing in Southern California) if I could charge for babies. I realize parents don't see the downside for hosts, but I know I'm going to have a lot more cleaning to do than usual when these guests leave tomorrow.  Wondering what other hosts do about charging or not charging for babies.

19 Replies 19

We give a cot, high chair, baby dishes and charge the same as for an extra adult guest.

My understanding is that since Airbnb changed the rules we are no longer allowed to charge for infants.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mary0   Just look at how often you have babies in your home.  Perhaps your listing appeals to parents with little ones. So many listings exclude babies, so your acceptance is a marketing advantage.  Figure out what additional expenses are incurred and add it to your listing in general. 

Paul293
Level 1
Incline Village, NV

Isn't there a lil' prompt for an extra "cleaning fee?" My roomy and I apply the cleaning fee and we don't even host de babies! 😉

best of fortune!

Paul

I also charge just like I would for an adult. I get often requests to give a lower price due to a couple having a small baby with them but I never oblige to that type of request because to my experience, guests with babies leave the place in worse condition than guests that consist of only adults.

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

We welcome families, including children of all ages. We don't count babies in our count, as those with babies usually bring their own infant travel bed. Our whole home rental has enough beds to accommodate 5 people. We also have a sleeping pad for the floor if needed. We've hosted quite a number of infants, toddlers, and older children, along with their parents. We haven't found families with children to be any less responsible or any less clean that guests without. We also don't charge a cleaning fee and don't charge for extra guests unless over 5 people.

As a mom of six we have traveled often many places we have stayed are very clear about the condition of the space when the guests leave.  I would certainly make sure there are cleaning supplies for the daily issues families face. And I would mention very clearly

Pg2. Sorry it wouldn't let me edit. List what a water conservation is. Most people have not had to live like that so in their mind a 1/2 hour shower vs 45 min would be conserving.  I found that we had to be very clear blunt even when we lived mostly off the grid. What was acceptable use.

Just wondering do you supply cribs, high chairs etc ? As a host, I just approved a family with 2 children's request and I am start concerning. Maybe I am over thinking but I think there are a lot things needed to be considered for children. Like finger pinch guard, door stop to prevent kid's fingers. Any advice on hosting family with kids and babies ?

@Liang1  You bring up important considerations for hosting.  There is a difference between babies and toddlers.  Babies do need sleeping accommodations and toddlers need baby-proofing.  As a traveler, I would want to know that the space is safe for my little one.  It cannot just be a marketing issue.

I guess it depends...I have a rental to share it has been an exhausting 2 days with a mom and 17 month old. The entire home (temperature, no sound, etc etc) has been hostage. And I've done babysitting and transporting the mom to grocery store. A mom alone in my home with no transportation is not something I will do again.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I don't charge for babies (so far), but after reading this post I want to start charging! OR not admit them at all. I have always felt they are a small portable item in their own sleeping arrangement, but now I am thinking baths, nappies, prams, etc.

No, I think I will stick to allowing the odd infant, it isn't frequent and really, no linen to launder which is the big one.

Jane255
Level 3
Saint Simons Island, GA

The mom who is here has been doing laundry non stop every time baby is awake, while I babysit. All at no charge.

Hi @Mary167

I started hosting last October. I had the "not suitable for babies" thing on my listing, however, one couple actually snuck their baby in. I made a point to greet them in person at the property (just to make it a bit inconvenient, maybe they would think twice in the future about lying to the host)  when I realized they were going to bring a baby. Anyway, I knew one of them would stay in the car with the baby and the other would come up to the condo, which is what they did.  The funny part was that as I was walking to my car, the husband parked right next to me,and was just sitting in there with the baby in the car seat! Probably waiting for the "all clear" from his wife!!  In the end, they did leave my condo clean, but used the extra sheet I provide (during the summer, I figure ppl might want only a sheet, not a heavy duvet) in their baby crib and it was stained with urine when I went to clean.