Charging for children

Angela270
Level 5
New South Wales, Australia

Charging for children

As a host Im curious as I know Airbnb have recently changed the rules on charging for children, making under 2's free which is fine but i had the understanding that guests could now book the number of adults/children and infants and this would come up in the booking enquiry. I have just had another booking where they are telling me that there was not an option to put in the number of children, so I saw 2 adults and accepted then after realised they had a 3 yr old child which i would have charged for, they did tell me in the enquiry but they didnt put it in the amount of guests so the price came up as only 2 adults,  i assumed they did and didnt check the price so my fault but can anyone shed some light on this.

21 Replies 21
Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

I have had this matter numerous of time. I usually just tell them that I need to change the booking which include the third person. Let them know that the charge for children and adult has no difference. Send them a request, if they refuse, contact Airbnb.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think they sound rather confused. Three people are three people so they could simply have booked for three people when making their booking.

If you don't provide a discount for children then go in and amend the booking to three people. This will then send them a request which they need to accept.

If you provide a discount for children, then send them a special offer with the fee for the child included.

HI,

The children's charge issue is really confusing for me, too.

Does airbnb automatically charge for children? 

I've had all kinds of strange cases so far, and I still do not know what the charges covered.

Thanks for the answer,
Hajnanlka

Hi Hajnalka, I have it sorted now, It seems on some platforms the guest can determine how many adults, children and infants are staying, on others just how many guests. If they have determined an infant is staying then Airbnb does not allow us as Hosts to charge ( under 2 year olds are classed as infants), so if they put in 1 infant is staying then it wont be charged automatically. If you do as I do and charge the same price over 2 years old regardless of age then everyone over 2 is classed as an Adult in terms of booking prices. I also now do as the others suggested and if they later inform me that children over two are staying or have put in the wrong amount of guests I ask them to change it or I ammend the booking. There is also nothing stopping people lying about who is coming (which I'm sure has happened to me on numerous occasions) but thats the risk you take when you allow self check in.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

So confusing

Angela270
Level 5

Just charge the same for everyone, if they list a guest as an infant its not charged automatically, if they dont inform you then it is charged (their fault), that way its not confusing.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/433/can-children-travel-on-airbnb

Can children travel on Airbnb?

Yes, children can travel on Airbnb, but some hosts have specified that their space may not be safe or suitable for children or infants.

Infants (children under 2 years old) aren't counted as guests when you're booking a reservation and don't incur any extra costs. Some hosts count children as guests, which can add an additional guest fee to the reservation.

Look for Family/Kid Friendly listings

If a host adds Family/Kid Friendly as an amenity, this implies that infants, children, and families are welcome in their listing. You'll still need to disclose the total number of guests, including infants and children, accurately when making a reservation request.

You can also ask questions or clarify the details of your trip with your host (such as whether they count children as guests), by clicking Contact Host before submitting a reservation request.

Can someone please let me know how I can provide a discount for kids between 2-16?

Angela270
Level 5

I dont think there is currently a function for you to do this automatically, just advertise you discount for children then when they enquire or request to book (if you dont have your bookings set to instant book) you can then do a special offer for them with the discounted price. You can find this in your messages to them (inbox) under reservations on the left hand side then at the bottom you will see "send special offer".

@Nicola95  Just curious why you would want to do that?  They don’t produce less wear and tear or less laundry.  My best friend always says “jelly all over the walls” when someone asks me to let their children come for free 😂 

I want to set a different price for children an no charge for children under 2 years old.
Please tell me how can I do that.

This is totally incorrect reporting and calculations by Airbnb.

You are defrauding all your hosts of correct income.

e.g.

Airlines buses all places charge for children according to age.

2-12 charged at 75%.  Airbnb ZERO

kids sitting on Mum's lap free from 0 - 2. Acceptable worldwide.

Great website but your calculations are WRONG.

How many millions have all your hosts clients lost through this abnormality.

Angela270
Level 5

Andrew Airbnb does not charge for infants 0-2 years, all other guests including children over 2 yrs of age  are charged at whatever the hosts decides, some hosts only charge for the space as a whole and dont charge for extra guests, others like myself charge extra per person after 2 people regardless of age (over 2 yrs).

If we do not want to charge for children, would it be ok just to ask our guests to enter children over 2 as infants as well? Or could there be any legal reason like problems with the insurance that might pose a problem in this case? We would just find it more convenient to solve it like this than sending a "special offer".