Cheap skate guest using breakfast for lunch + Petty theft how to write review?

Claire1328
Level 4
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Cheap skate guest using breakfast for lunch + Petty theft how to write review?

How do you write a review for a guest who only stayed for three nights but took the proverbial with anything complimentary, particular breakfast, wanting to turn it into lunch also. 

He also stole tuppaware. He was the only one who knew where it was and I repeatedly said I didn't want him to use the one he wanted to take, then it ended vacating when he did

He wasn't the worst guest, he did ask about the breakfast and I agreed for it to be lunch for ONE day (bread and eggs and mayo for sandwiches) as he was doing my head in late in the evening wanting various containers (non of which were suitable for him) to take a home cooked beef pasta that he's spent ages cooking late at night (also wanting constant extra stuff) about with him to try and find a cafe/restaurant who would microwave it for him!!!

(Yes. I know. Rediculous. This guy lives at home in Australia with his parents in his mid thirties, he bought a plane ticket and traveled to the UK, he isn't poor he doesn't need to save money at others expense making up sandwiches using everything in my kitchen or getting other people to re heat his food. Just buy a freaking Sandwich!)

Anyway...

I've only got a couple of days to write it and need to add, he wrote a review for me . Otherwise I wouldn't bother. The rest of his reviews day how great he is

I've got so far

"X was polite. Good communication before and during stay. Observed all house rules. Was clean and tidy. Enjoyed  getting full use of all facilities, particularly if complementary"

His skint flint attitude and the theft just got on my nerves. 

But he did ask, so I guess it was my fault also.

He also stripped naked and wandered about in a towel so I could wash literally everything he had with him (again my fault I have use is washing machine on my offering- never dreaming a three day stay would want to use the machine, but it's been a constant issue with others thinking one item a day is reasonable.

As a result, I've removed kitchen and washing machine and eggs at breakfast from my offering and will stop providing bread for toast because it just attracts free loading

So...

What can I say that warns others but isn't too hard as it was partially my  fault due to my total naivety at the ability of others to take the proverbial over any offered item (there is a lot of completion in my area, others offer kitchen and washing machine so I thought was standard. Never again)

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm a home share host and it's quite easy to manage these issues 

1. my washing machine is only available for guests staying 5 days or more for a small charge 

2. only put out enough food each day to cover an individual breakfast

3. don't allow guests to take your property outside of your home you could have told him to buy his own Tupperware 

4. why are you doing washing for your guests??

Your review sounds fine as is.

Chalk it up to experience and move on 😁

Claire1328
Level 4
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply. It's helpful to know what others do

1) I've had some people stay five nights and want to wash two items (seperatel loads of white and dark) a day.

I have changed  from free to only free if staying a week stay and a £10 charge a load for less than one week stay. Is this more or less what you do?

It's mainly I just want to discourage it. I do nightly lets. With two rooms. Two loads a room. I don't have washing and tumble drier time to start washing guests clothes for short stays. It takes three hours to wash and dry one load. That's 6 hours of washing each room.  

Do you let them use it the entire time or from night four?

2) I did this. I put selection of cereals out that go away after breakfast time and put bread slices out to see frost in  person in communal fridge.

People took all the extra bread slices intended for other guest/other days, left second guest with nothing.

So I've bought a toaster and put two slices of bread in their own fridge in their room every day.

They then raid the communal fridge in kitchen for anything they can find. Or come and ask for extra bread at all hours. I feel like bread police. I may need to stop the bread. It's just asking for sandwiches extra toast and because it needs to be frozen I can't easily store it

3)  I didn't allow it. I offered tin foil. Or washed takeaway box I didn't care about.He took tupperware  from where he knew my stuff was and then vacated with it

4) I do it because I don't want them using my £600 heat pump drier breaking it( which has happened before and couldn't be fixed) or putting one thing in the washing machine on a three hour cycle blocking me from washing bedding when I have a quick turn around for rooms and no where to store loads of dirty laundry.

I'm happy to try and accommodate around my own washing. But the cycles take too long for someone to start taking over my machines which happens when you give free reign and also people wanting to use the machines late at night on the last night of their stay and then I have to baby sit the stuff through three hours when I've been busy all day. It's too much hassle for no reward I find.

I'm hoping the  one week stays free. Less than one week, £10 a load charge focuses their mind on if they really need to wash constantly on a short trip 

Also, deter those from even booking want who turn up with a small carrier bag and drop their clothes the second they arrive wanting the washing machine because they want to travel light and only book places with free washing machines

(this happened constantly. I was stunned that every three night stay wanted clothes washed the second they arrived as I had assumed no one would need to wash for a week or so. Evidently not

I'm fairly new to this and only did it in winter season before to UK guests traveling for work or to and from France in the ferry. Never any issues..

The summer international holiday guest is whole different animal it seems

Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

Nah. This review is all over the place. If he's a bad guest, he's a bad guest. Be honest. I would not call a guy like this polite! Cut the chase and get right to the bad stuff.

"Unfortunately, x was not a fit with us. He pressed me for extras not available with my listing and generally got on our nerves, with behavior such as walking around in a towel because he ran out of clean clothes, then pressuring me to do his laundry.  Cannot recommend." 

Do not write a review saying you are removing amenities because of one bad guest. You are punishing future nice guests because of one bad apple. 

And here's where you need to take charge. You're not his mummy but this guest wanted you to be. Say no to extras like the lunch and taking out more with Tupperware. Say no to washing his clothes because he walked around in a towel. Direct him to the nearest launderette. Don't break your own rules even once. Just say NO. 

Some of this is on you. Be firm at the start to head off behavior like this to begin with. 

@Claire1328    I would not characterize this guest as "polite" at all! It's not polite to steal people's property. And unless your home is explicitly clothing-optional, it's rather rude to walk around it in only a towel (though I'd have a double standard about this if the guest was attractive).

You might need to make some adjustments to the tone you set with guests, as some of them seem to be mistaking you for a doormat. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm with @Anonymous; honesty matters - he wasn't polite. As for the nudity; dark handsome hunks allowed (only).