Check-In time is showing the Wrong Time in Phone App

Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

Check-In time is showing the Wrong Time in Phone App

Because of work schedules, we check in guests at 6:00 PM or later.  

We had an instant book last night for check-in today, and noticed that although their web itinerary shows correct check-in times, their itinerary in the Phone App lists 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.  

Problem:  WE ARE NOT HOME AT 4:00 PM

This is a SERIOUS BUG!!  I have reported the bug on Airbnb, but that does not solve my problem.  These guests have been told to arrive at a time when no one is there to greet them!  

I hesistate to contact the guest about this bug because it is not nor should it be their problem, nor do I want to have our first impression with them to be me coming to them with a problem.  This kind of complication isn't something I should be confronting the guest with at all.  

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Contact the guest, @Lucy-and-Loic0! But word it something like this, so you are not coming to them with a problem, as you said: "Just confirming with you that your check-in is after 6 pm as indicated in our listing and your web itinerary."

If they say, "Yes, that's great, we're coming at 7 pm" then all is well. If they say, "Well our phone says 4 pm," it is only then that you will need to mention the Airbnb glitch, and that you have reported it to Airbnb, and that they are fixing it. 

Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

I did contact the guest but this glitch caused me a major headache that I can do without.  That's what I am communicating about, not asking for advice about what to do.  How can something as important as major errors with check-in time be allowed to slip though as a glitch in the app that both the guest and host pay for?  Not cool at all.  

Heads up to hosts:  Until this gets sorted out, You better double-check your guests itineraries in all platforms because they may not be giving the same information over different platforms.  One person gets 6:00 PM, another gets 4:00 PM, these Itineraries when sent to guests are contractual and mistakes on check in time are a major major problem. 

Imagine showing up at your Airbnb and no one's there.  Thank goodness I caught the error and could contact the guest, and he was cool about it.  Imagine if people planned their itineraries and arrival times around false information?  Whose fault would that be?  Who's fault would it be if they had to twiddle their thumbs for 2 hours before the host shows up?

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Lucy-and-Loic0 Attached below is a screenshot from a recent reservation I had. Check-in says 5-7pm. My listed check-in is “Anytim after 4pm” To my understanding the 5-7pm is added by the guest to tell you when they would LIKE to check-in, not what your listing has listed. So it sounds like your guest wants to check-in earlier than your stated check-in time, which you’ll need to address with them - but is NOT a systemic issue. 

Check in.png

I will check with the guest about whether he specifically requested this check-in time, but it does not seem likely.  It does not make sense to me that I should receive a "guest itinerary" on my desktop that says one thing (6PM) , and the phone app "guest itinerary" says something else (4PM).   If he is on a phone and I am on a desktop, we're being sent different itineraries.  

Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

To follow up on this thread, the guest in question did not make a request for an early check-in.  This was indeed a glitch in the system where there were two incompatible itineraries sent over different platforms.