Check Out

Kristi0
Level 5
San Clemente, CA

Check Out

So I noticed a converstion about Check In but what do you all do about Check Out? My guest are on vacation so I hate to intrude too much and remind them they have to leave but.......so how do you all go about asking them "when are you leaving"? I have an 11:00am check out. Some folks have a plane to catch or want to get on the road early and it would be nice to know this info. Some never read the rules etc. Please share when and how you ask the question. Thanks in advance.

11 Replies 11
Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

As a guest, I try to offer that information when checking in, if I know in advance. "Thanks so much. We have an early flight on Friday and will be taking the train to the airport around 6 am. How do you want to handle the checkout?" As a host, I try to connect with guests the day before to find out their plans for departure and if they need any assistance with arrangements. Otherwise, my house manual tells them to leave the key on the table, lock the door behind them, and send me a message so I know they are gone. I like to say goodbye, but it's just not always possible.

Great ideas, thank you. I try to be there when the guests check out. I take their photo and then text it to them and say Thank You for choosing my Casita. 

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Kristi, you have posted this question on the guest board.  Traveling is a guest forum (and bookings and reservations where you posted this is a guest board) and is for guests to ask questions.  These boards are not for hosts to be asking questions of other hosts.  I suggest posting your question on the host boards, under "Hosting" on the menu.  (I think most everyone is going to be confused by these new groups for a while....)

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I agree Deborah - I got tripped up on exactly the same thing. Note my response back to you when you advised same issue. I fear many hosts and guests are going to be very confused now that everyone is lumped in together and has to try to work out which forums are for both host and guest, which for guest only and which for host only.

At the moment it's all by trial and error and this and mine were such errors waiting to happen.

The main loophole for error is using the search for a relevant string, reviewing the returns, and seeing nothing suitable simply clicking 'start a conversation' - there is nothing to tell you at that stage what group you are in or thereby posting too .......

Just as well this community forum is in beta test currently, and here's hoping airbnb will take note of common confusions and host feedback on such matters.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Kristi0, I know you posted this message a few weeks ago, but I think it is a really interesting post and would be useful to other hosts so I have moved it to the Tips and Tricks section in the Hosting board. I hope this is fine with you. Thank you 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Kristi, as it is an eternal question, another late answer:
When renting the whole apartment in my absence, I include instructions to call the friend with the keys 2 days before arrival to make an appointment when they will arrive. And also to call the friend 2 days before departure when they will leave. 2 days allows to planify the rest of the day still and it's a good time that even the most forgetful will retain what was said. Most of my guests choose the option to check out alone e and drop the keys in the box. I send them an email later to thank them, "found the keys and all is fine". That avoids them worrying about caution claims.
If I'm hosting onsite, I just ask them in the evening how they plan their last day. Checkout is fix but leaving the bags is always an option.

Thanks for great feedback about this, seeing what other people are doing is helping me out.

I just got over my fear of bothering my guest and sent her a message like this:  

Hi (guest)! I'm sending you this message to see how your travel day tomorrow is planned. Check-out is at noon, but you can still leave your bags in our apartment downstairs during the day if you need to. 🙂 Kind regards, (me, the host) 

Thanks.  Very helpful

Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

We send a short message the night before they leave.

" Hi, We really hope you've enjoyed you stay at our Airbnb. We just wanted to remind you that our checkout tomorrow is anytime before 11. Please send us a quick message once you've checked out."

Usually they will respond with a message confirming that they will be out by 11. We have only had a few issues where people didn't check out on time and we are going to start charging a fee to those guests.

Thanks for sharing.  That's an excellent message.

This is probably the best "plain and simple yet humble"