Check Your Pet Settings

Paul594
Level 3
Gilroy, CA

Check Your Pet Settings

Mine just randomly changed and someone tried to book with a dog.

Before I get all those helpful inquires on things I should check or reasons it might be my fault, just don't do it.  If you've been a real host for any amount of time you know settings change all the time without host interaction.  This is just a notice to help out other hosts.

10 Replies 10
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Totally agree. Sometimes our settings get wiped out, even for basic things like check-in/check-out times. It pays to check listing settings often.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I do check my settings on a regular basis, but I have never had any settings change on their own. Fingers crossed.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yep! - Fed up with deleting my non-existent coffee maker!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

You have no way to make coffee? That would be the only thing I'd have to have in the morning as a guest. @Helen350

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I have a French Press @Sarah977 . And guests are invited to use it, and shown where the tin of ground coffee is kept. Tho ' some Brits prefer instant coffee, not wishing to break the habit of many years! My non-British guests seem grateful for the French Press/ground coffee! - Some say it's the FIRST proper coffee they've had on their UK travels, in an Airbnb!

When I decline to affirm the presence of a 'coffee maker' it is a defence against getting 'dinged' for not having an all singing, all dancing, top of the range Keurig coffeemaker...... You know how these things go.... Under promise & over deliver... (This topic has been discussed before, and other hosts do as I do, and claim to have no coffee maker, lest a French Press doth not a Keurig make....)

Ah, I see. French press is my method as well and as far as I'm concerned makes the best coffee. I don't get why anyone wants those Keurig things anyway- seems like a big marketing hype to me and they'd be a b***h to clean (and I've read articles about all the bacteria that is found breeding in those types of coffee machines),  and those individual Kcups are an environmental disaster. Not to mention the machines take up a lot of counter space.

I hear you on the under-promise, over-deliver. I don't even say I provide tea and coffee, which I do, or that I pick guests up at the bus station so they don't have to shlep their bags on a 20 minute walk looking for my place, which is hard to find the first time, which I also offer to do after they book. 

@Helen350 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Yes! I'm currently on a hosting break but a regular check of settings should be on your list! It's bizarre we should have to do that, but I've had settings change on their own multiple times. I used to go over settings and amenities listed once a week.

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Thanks!  I had my minimum days change and it cost me an almost $1200 fine from the City of Charleston.  They did not believe me when I told them there was a glitch... and even called me a liar to my lawyer.  😮

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Were you successful in making a claim for compensations through your lawyer @Maxine33 ?

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Paul594 @Pat271 

This is a wired one because, as you can imagine, settings should not just randomly change. It is possible not to be saved properly, but that's different. So I took this to the team, and they had two suggestions.

First one was that maybe an unsupported third party website is doing this. The solution is as simple as changing your password; this will stop any connections to an unsupported site.

If this doesn't cut it, then I would highly suggest you document this when you notice it. So screenshot when you change back to the desired setting with date/URL. Then if it changes without your knowledge/consent take another screenshot of that. Please contact support so they can further help troubleshoot and get the issue reported.

Hope this helps

Nick