Check-in communication

Korynne0
Level 1
Kansas City, MO

Check-in communication

Hello lovely hosts! I wanted to see if you could offer me some advice! I have been an airbnb host for a year and a half, I'm a super host and I thoroughly enjoy having guests in my home and getting to know people from all over the world. I had a new experience with a guest today that I need help in knowing how you would "redeem" the situation.

Her arrival wasn't until Tuesday, but I sent a welcome letter, along with what to expect while staying in our home on Saturday, along with a request for travel details and an anticipated check-in time.

She responds on Monday night telling me that she is arriving at 10am.

I kindly let her know that our check-in time doesn't begin until 3pm because it takes me some time to prepare the room and clean after 11am checkout of previous guests but I would gladly keep her luggage for her if she needs a place to leave it.

She shows up at 11:30am unnanounced with her luggage and I told her that her room wasn't ready but that I would let her know when it was.

At 1:30 pm, I let her know that her room was ready and asked her to let me know what time I could expect her so that I could make sure that I was here to greet her.

I run an errand at 3pm and she calls at 3:10pm asking me why no one was there to let her in. She was angry because she had walked and didn't want to wait outside.

I told her that I was so sorry, I wasn't sure what time she was planning on arriving and that I was running an errand but would be back in less than an hour. I offered to pick her up on my way home if she wasn't able to wait and she all but hung up on me.

Now, she isn't responding to my messages after I let her know that I was on my way home (40 minutes later) and asked if she needed me to pick her up.

What would you do to resolve the situation? I feel like I've done everythign in my power to communicate with this lady and I'm afraid I'm going to get hit with a bad review because of her poor expectations and lack of communication. 

2 Replies 2
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Wow, certainly poor communication skills on your guest's part.  I'm not sure there really is much you can do when you're trying to meet your guest halfway with everything and they're not willing to do the same.  Just try to make her stay with you as pleasant as possible, but don't expect to actually get much out of her.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Communication and control of the interaction is key. First mistake was waiting to send the arrival information 3 days before the guests arrival and over a weekend period at that. I send all arrival information 7-10 days in advance and gather their arrival time during that period. Guests are slow in writing back and it just comes with the territory. With this guest it was clear she was going to show up at the time she wanted to regardless of your stated access time. Once you sent her the message stating your check in time and arrival instructions you should have sent another message asking her to confirm that she is agreeing to show up at 3pm and then stating their is an early arrival fee if she shows up early. I do this ALL the time with my guests to avoid them showing up unannounced. It sets up my expectations and also that of the guests. Some are happy to pay while others will keep themselves busy.

You also made a statement that you as a host can store the luggage should the guest arrive early. If you felt caught off guard when  she showed up it is because you should have instead asked the question: "Would you like us to store your luggage upon your arrival at 1030-1130?" A very specific question to elicit a specific response. Your statement just sounds as if you are offering the service and thusly she accepted your offer and showed up at the time she previously stated.

You could also have given her the option of paying for an early check in. As, the room was ready an hour and a half early she could have paid an additional $10-20 dollars, checked in while you were there to be greeted with a welcome tour and you could have left at 3pm to run your errand worry free. People like options and it lets you off the hook from being the bad guy. Its a tool we use in the hospitality industry to nudge the person towards an expected outcome. Would you like the standard room or premium view suite for an additional $50 per night? You wont hear a front desk agent say "we have a premium view suite". Ambiguity is not a hoteliers best friend.  If she doesn't take advantage of the options presented then she is already aware of the outcome.

To answer your question "what would I do to resolve the situation?": well there is nothing to do, besides apologize. Your communication just got crossed and I've learned to always expect the guest to arrive early or late, but rarely on time. If they arrive early let them knowou are adding the final touches to the room and it will be ready in such and such time. I wouldn't offer anything free or discount the room rate to make up for the error, because it just harps on the issue that has since passed. Instead I would engage myself in their stay and be more hospitable towards their needs such as offering local recommendations for shows, dining and such.

Best.