Why do guest not look at the Check-in instructions?

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Why do guest not look at the Check-in instructions?

My check-in instructions are unfortunately broken.  No matter what I do, send a picture, ask, beg, demand, less than 30% of my guests are finding the 'Check-In Instructions.'  They are actually hurting my listing more than helping if they are there but not used because I don't message all that info instead.

There is only one solution I've come up with, Airbnb needs to let you drop a link to check-in instructions in the message field.  I have tried sending a picture showing that you can click on them on the Trip Page, but apparently people are just trying to click on the picture, so why not have it be a link?  Then it would go something like this:

"Thanks for booking with me!  The check in instructions below will have everything you need to make sure you get in the house ok and that you're parked in the right place.  Please let me know if you have any questions about parking before arriving at the property.

*link* "

Boom, gigantic problem solved.  Sigh.

26 Replies 26
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I send them a saved message.

David
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I also do same as David.

@Tony134

Me too. I just give them all the info they need, point blank. No "click on this link" or go to XXXX page for details. Just 'here is what you need to know' and I provide a saved message . I also send a pdf file version and a jpeg image file with all necessary info that I specifically tell the guest to DOWNLOAD on their phone or PRINT just in case they need the info but don't have wifi or internet access. I keep all this on record on Airbnb messenger - so basically, there is absolutely no room for excuses later. 

Hi Tony, how do you send pdf through the Airbnb messenger? That would solve a lot of issues.

My guests don't seem to get my pictures or attachments... Thanks a lot!

@Cristiana32

It is not possible to send attachments through the airbnb messaging - you would need to send to their private e-mail using the encrypted e-mail address given in their profile.  

Photos are only possible to send through the app.

Have them confirm receipt through the airbnb message system.

@Marit-Anne0 Thank you so much for clarifying it for me. All the best.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Tony134

I have done the same as @Jessica-and-Henry0 - works for 99% of the guests.  The totally clueless are just that, whatever you do.

James522
Level 3
Springfield, PA

This is incredibly frustrating.  As a host, I get two different routes for establishing check-in instructions between the website and the app.  Navigating to even find the check-in instructions is confusing and unintuitive.  For guests, I've had frequent need to contact guests directly via their cell phone because the information was hard to find.  I agree this has a direct impact on the check-in experience that we're all rated on.  These things are so easy to fix.  Why aren't they?

I have theI have the same problem with check in instructions.  I do not tell guest how to get in and if you do not look them up they don’t get in they don’t get a refund. Airbnb programming level is seriously lacking. Why aren’t these guest sent check in instructions via text message or email or phone call

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

I'm pleased to see someone else raise this issue. I have had many guests this summer telling me they have not received the instructions, when I know full well they are in the confirmation they receive from Airbnb after booking.

I contacted the help desk person and they just sent me screen shots of confirmation messages to guests of where to find my details. The guests still said they couldn't find them.

I asked one of the guests on arrival to see his confirmation email and talked to him about this issue (he too was a host) After trawling through his email he actually found what I was trying to explain to him. His comment was  " but I don't read all that stuff".  

So I conclude "you can lead the horse to water but you can't make it drink" . I end up copying and pasting from the detail I had entered into  the system and sending it by the app.....some people don't even have access to the app when travelling. Then they start calling me up and asking for the details, and this can be at midnight...."not happy Jan".  

I asked the help desk person to ensure that the guests' attention is drawn to the fact they have been given the self check in details when booking, I was thanked for my suggestion and they would relay it on to the IT persons....guess nothing has been improved yet.

One day airbnb will actually listen to us....the people at the coal face dealing with the lovely guests and their inability to read.

@James522 yes it does impact on the checkin rating, that's for sure, and yet we have gone to all the trouble before to ensure a smooth check in.

Frustarating? very much so.

And I'm now a SuperHost, so you would think that might give a bit more credence to my concerns.  I (like a great many) know what I'm doing as a Host and I know what will make my guests' experience better.  It's so nice (hardly) to get the few extra benefits as a SH, but hardly any of the benefits help me help my guests, which is the only thing that truly helps my bottom line.

Folks should read the benefits of SuperHosts and ask whether anything really makes a differenct to their bottom line.

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/rewards?euid=00b03dc5-7eff-4744-a145-2ae7ffe4f59e

As a 100% 5-star location, my place is constantly booked, even without SH status, so visibility benefits provide no help.  Perks are useless.  I just paid for the AirBnB photographer (are they going to reimburse me?).  I never have to call support because I know what I'm doing and can figure stuff out (except how to make check-in easier).  I can do my own taxes, thanks.  Bottom line benefit?  Nada.  How about listening to some SHs and addressing this simple change.  Why is this so hard?

I send Guests a message a few days before there stay, only a couple of paragraphs with important information, about a 1/3rd obviously do not read it or pay no attention if they did.

It is what it is.

David
Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

The self check in instructions, as far as I know, will be sent to guests 3 days prior the arrival, correct me if I am wrong. 

Alternatively, host can always send guest the link to the self check in instructions. Here is the screen I capture from my conversation with guest. The key will automatically generate the self check in instructions if you have submitted one.

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-13 at 11.51.38 AM (1).jpeg

The good thing about self check in is when the guest click on the link, there is a step by step guide for the guest to follow and when the guest complete the entire process, they will be prompted to send a notification to the host, the host will get a message as below.

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-13 at 11.51.38 AM.jpeg

Hope this helps, have a nice day.

Olya3
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your post. I also created self check-in instruction, but now I need to change it. Is there any way to do it?  Thanks.