Check in times

Joseph354
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Check in times

I have my Policies set to allow from 3pm - 12am Check-in.

I have repeated occurrences where the guest (on Airbnb app) is offered checking in time selection before 3pm. When they make a selection, it is not sent in a communication and only can see on the guest itinerary.

I understand that the guest can request special time for check-in, but that should be through direct messaging to the Host, and not by a simple menu, especially since i made a policy setting just for this.
In addition there is no special alert to the Host that the guest is arriving early or late or anything that helps with focusing on the special request. The only way to find out if you go into the details of the itinerary of the guest.

Can someone please explain to me if there is another way to manage this?

Thank you.
Joe

23 Replies 23
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My check in time is 5pm to 10pm, sometimes I can accomodate and earlier check in and if they ask and I can I do.

When a guest books I ask if they could let me know what time they expect to be here, if they respond with a time outside my check in then I remind them what it is, assuming I can not accomodate it.

David
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Joseph, this seems very strange to me. I do not know how a guest could be offered a checkin earlier than you specified checkin time, much less without notification to you. Have you asked CS about this?

Air BnB does offer this, I have recently had this happen.  My check in is 4:00 PM, but Air BnB asked when they wanted to check in, and the guest showed up at 1:00 PM   It was a mess.

@Melinda12 me too what gives. I had a 8am'er with departing guest still in house. How is this allowed. @airbnb responded "check in time is a think to remember" and the guest requested 8am. I said my check in time states 4pm in multiple places..

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

We are able to select our check-in times under booking policies. I don't see how a guest can go around this. However, I also do reiterate the check-in times in the check-in email I send a week prior to the guest's stay, and I let them know that I need to be notified if they are not going to make it between 4 and 10 pm so I can give them extra instructions to access the rental. If they want the personal tour where I show them around, they must check in between 4 an 5 pm. You might consider doing something similar.

Ron-and-Shelly0

We've been Airbnb hosts for 3 months and we love meeting and hosting guests but it has only taken 3 months for me to determine that Airbnb cannot resolve any issues and doesn't care! This check in  issue is still a problem a year later

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Joseph0.

Like @Rebecca0, I always clarify dates and times in my first documented statement on Airbnb message site to the guest.  Plus the time of arrival query works for me as 90% of my guests fly in and rent a vehicle. If the check in doesn’t suit, then they negotiate if I’ve got no other commitments.  My check in rules.! Yes some arrive earlier, and some depart later, if it suits both our agendas ....

example only:

“Hello Xxxxx.

Thank you for choosing my Airbnb homestay.  I am happy to accept your request for two nights accommodation for (check in from 2pm) Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th July, checking out on Monday morning the 9th July at 10am. 

To assist with a smooth check in, will you be arriving in Darwin on 7th July, or will you already be in town? If on the day, are you flying in and renting a vehicle? I only ask this to assist you with a smooth and timely check in so everything is timely for you.

.............”

🙂

Regards

Cathie 

(99% of the time they let me know their flight and arrive all time. From that I can estimate luggage and car pick up time. I can also use flight apps to check if a flight is on time.)

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I have guests that checked themselves in 2 hours early without permission. She made a comment about probably being late with check out since her flight did not leave until 6 pm and was that okay. I said no. I got a booking last night for the Monday of her check out, so not ok at all. I am sure I'm going to have more issues with her about this in addition to all the other issues we've had with her. 

On a bright note the Monday booking secures my Super Host  status come July 🙂

Ron-and-Shelly0
Level 2
Goodyear, AZ

Almost a year later and nothing has been done about this! Airbnb must enjoy pissing off their guests and hosts. I have a check in time of 3 to midnight set in my policies and yet the guest is able to choose a check in time between 1 and 2 pm! When am I supposed to $&@! clean? I spoke with customer service and of course they are unable to do anything about this. Just send feedback. Ridiculous

@Ron-and-Shelly0 me too what gives. I had a 8am arriver with departing guest still in house. How is this allowed. @airbnb responded "check in time is a think to remember" and the guest requested 8am. I said my check in time states 4pm in multiple places..How is a 8am arrival time allowed to be chosen when the calendar is booked for a departure that day....Let me tell you it was a hot mess.

Pedro421
Level 2
San Diego, CA

This needs to be changed. Guests specifying check-in times that I'm not alerted to and unwilling to accommodate is frustrating both to my guests and myself as a host. How do I explain that what they're specifying on the app is meaningless and it's not communicated well to me? This is making us all look bad.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Pedro421 just let them know that the check in time is set up for a reason and you will not be available before that and they can wait in a nearby café (I send them a list of cafés). That doesn't make you look bad, they are aware of the check in time before they book but manu guests ask just in case, that doesn't mean that they are upset if you don't grant their wishes. 

@Ana1136 The problem is that if a guest is booking through the app the guest is asked to choose a check-in time. They are asked to tick a box and they can choose whatever time they want. That way they are mislead to think that they have a saying in when they would like to check-in. It doesn't makes sense to give the guest an option that doesn't exist in reality. If airbnb want that option they should at least costumize it so it fits the host's calender. 

I travel often and start my travel day early. I am accustomed to arriving at lodging no later than 3pm. A later check-in just doesn't seem right. So, you think it is okay to ask that your tenant(s) sit around in a cafe for a few hours. I will not rent an Airbnb that has a check-in later than 3pm. Hotels do not have a late check-in. Why do you? Thanks.