Why are our guests not seeing the Check-in times?

Answered!
Michael-and-Jacqui0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Why are our guests not seeing the Check-in times?

We have noticed recently that a lot of our guests are messaging us during the instant booking process to say that they expect to arrive at times which are much earlier than our published check-in time of 3pm. 

This suggests that they are not seeing the check-in time when they make their booking.  I've reviewed our listing and the check-in times are displayed, but they appear right down the bottom of the listing, after all the reviews, location map, etc, so it's unlikely that most people will scroll down this far

I feel that this important piece of information needs to be MUCH more prominently displayed and don't understand why airbnb considers it so unimportant.

Just wondering if others are experiencing similar issues?

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael-and-Jacqui0 Below is what guests are seeing when they book. You ask "When do you think you'll arrive?" So naturally, they answer. To shift the conversation more to your liking, change this to "Check-in is after 3 pm and up until 10 pm. An estimate of when we can expect you is much appreciated."

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 3.12.14 PM.png

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I haven’t experienced my guests not knowing when the check-in/check-out times are. However, in my Welcome packet, prominently displayed at the very top, I have the check-in/check-out dates and times prominently displayed in a different color than the rest of the text. I send the Welcome packet 2-3 days before check-in.

More relevant to your post is the fact that I don’t have Instant Book turned on, and therefore don’t have the problem of having an accepted reservation with a guest message that might be in conflict with my House Rules. I do at times get requests to check in early or check out late at the time of the Request to Book, which I evaluate on a per-guest basis and handle with the guest accordingly. 

I do agree with you that Airbnb should prominently display the dates and times of the requested booking, regardless of whether the guest is on the app or in a browser.

@Michael-and-Jacqui0   My experience has been that even guests who are fully aware of the listed check-in time when they book will still often assume an exception can be made for them. One thing I've gotten a lot was:

"I see that your check-in time is 2 PM, but I'll be arriving at 10 AM. Can I just drop off my bags and take the keys?"

I think to myself, that IS checking in, you silly goose.

If I can't offer the flexibility they hoped for, I just direct them to the most convenient left-luggage facility or nearby cafe, depending on how they're arriving. Generally these guests' attitude seems to be "there's no harm in trying," and most of them can gracefully take no for an answer. If they can't, best that they cancel the booking. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Michael-and-Jacqui0 Is it generally happening with short notice bookings? If so, could be related to this,

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Request-to-book-outside-of-check-in-window-please-be-war...

Although, it should come through as a request. But, Airbnb could have recently changed the process, as lately they seem to be rolling ever more speedily toward whatever is best for the guest and to encourage more bookings.🙄

Thanks @Colleen253,

No, it's not necessarily short notice bookings... I just get the impression that the guests aren't being made adequately aware of the check-in time when they make their booking.  It's not been a major problem (so far), it just concerns me that our very first interaction with our guests is an email which has the potential to  disappoint them if they were expecting to check-in earlier than we can accommodate.  It doesn't make for a great first impression. 😒

@Michael-and-Jacqui0  Hosts often find that their settings have mysteriously changed on their own, and check-in time changing to flexible is one of those. Be sure to check that, and all your settings frequently.

@Michael-and-Jacqui0 Any person who cares enough to read the listing thoroughly and pay attention to detail has the ability to be well aware of your check-in time. In this particular situation I'd say it's the guest who is not making a great first impression...

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

This happens to me occasionally. I don't let it phase me and many times it feels like the guest just needs to be informed. When there is mention of an early check-in time I say "The space will be guaranteed to you by the 3 pm check-in time. If it happens to be available sooner I am happy to send you a message to let you know." Once I kindly remind/let the guest know of my policies, no one has ever questioned it. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael-and-Jacqui0 Below is what guests are seeing when they book. You ask "When do you think you'll arrive?" So naturally, they answer. To shift the conversation more to your liking, change this to "Check-in is after 3 pm and up until 10 pm. An estimate of when we can expect you is much appreciated."

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 3.12.14 PM.png

Thanks @Emilia42, I'm sure that there used to be a 200 character limit when I set up these questions so I couldn't put too much detail, but looking now, I see it's 400 so will definitely update as you suggest. 👍

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Michael-and-Jacqui0  yep, all the time. I get around this by sending a saved message to all guests who book with the check in time at the top of the message.