Check in times

Joseph354
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

Check in times

I have my Policies set to allow from 3pm - 12am Check-in.

I have repeated occurrences where the guest (on Airbnb app) is offered checking in time selection before 3pm. When they make a selection, it is not sent in a communication and only can see on the guest itinerary.

I understand that the guest can request special time for check-in, but that should be through direct messaging to the Host, and not by a simple menu, especially since i made a policy setting just for this.
In addition there is no special alert to the Host that the guest is arriving early or late or anything that helps with focusing on the special request. The only way to find out if you go into the details of the itinerary of the guest.

Can someone please explain to me if there is another way to manage this?

Thank you.
Joe

23 Replies 23

@Anne1767 Because this is Airbnbs and many hosts got full-time jobs next to being hosts.

I make it very clear on my listing that I have check-in from 5PM - it is simply not possible for me to have an earlier check-in time with my scheduel. If it doesn't fit people they should just find another place to stay. Hotels have full-time staff available but you do also pay way more.

Well, that's of course your choice - there are plenty of properties that will suit your needs that you can choose from. So it is the choice of the hosts to determine their check in time, and there are plenty of guests who are fine with it. So everyone has the freedom of choice, and everyone is happy.

@Pedro421  I had a 8am arriver with departing guest still in house. How is this even allowed. I messaged my guest and told them that would not work... but sure enough no response @airbnb responded "check in time is a think to remember" and the guest requested 8am. I said my check in time states 4pm in multiple places..How is a 8am arrival time allowed to be chosen when the calendar is booked for a departure that day....Let me tell you it was a hot mess and the guest were unresponsive for 4 hours. 😞

Carol354
Level 4
Thames, NZ

Hi everyone!

When I was on holiday I didn't seem to be able to specify an earlier check in time than the host allowed, so I thought this had been resolved, but I have just had it happen to me again! My check in time is 3pm-9pm but I had someone select 1-3. It was instant book & I caught it immediately & messaged the guest. They changed their plans & didn't arrive till around 5. They were perfectly pleasant guests but as yet haven't left a review.

AIRBNB - please fix this, it makes you & your hosts look unprofessional. 

Hi @Carol354 🙂

Did you use the app when you booked? Because it is only when you use the app that the check-in time boxes will appear.

Best, Sandra 

Oh sorry if I was unclear! The app when I booked when I was on holiday in Apri worked as I expected - I couldn't select an earlier time than the host allowedl. But when a guest booked in with me he was able to select 1-3pm on the app, even though my check in times are 3-9pm.

What I think should have happened was the guest should have just been given 3 options;

* 3-5pm

* 5-7pm

* 7-9pm

Lena4275
Level 1
Temecula, CA

This is a big problem . It’s happened to me a couple times and causes a lot of discontent on the guests end a d frustration for the host . Unbelievable that Airbnb doesn’t do something to change this option on the guests and avoid the mess this creates unnecessarily. My new guests itinerary actually said check in time was 11am, meanwhile a guest was still in the space , check out was at 11am! 

Sonya133
Level 2
Rice, VA

Hello,

when families are vacationing in an AirBnB rental, know that we chose the rental versus a hotel because of the convenience of bringing our things and having a home setting. Most people have to shop to stock the home and our request to get in early is simply because we want to get in and get settled so we can actually start vacation. So what you all are saying is pay me for an evening check in that will take a family about 2 hours to settle into from touring the home, unpacking, and getting settled. So if there is a 5pm check in more than likely a family can’t settle down til 7pm but we have paid the price for a day rental for that Friday but the day is gone, so technically we have half a night which is useless for enjoying the rental, one day, and breaking your neck to pack up and check out by 10am (for a weekend rental) but what is asked to pay for is (2) nights, convenience fees, taxes, cleaning fees, etc that adds up to be just as much as the (2) night rental so you’re telling us that for paying all that we do, you can’t accommodate an early check in or a late check out? What’s crazy is most of us are willing to pay for this convenience. Shame on you if you purposely have poor customer satisfaction practices when we are not trying to take advantage of you. We pay as requested for the rental.

@Sonya133 Our check out time is 10am, check in from 4pm. This is essential to properly clean and be ready for the new guests. By my reckoning this is 6 hours out of a possible 24 hours when the apartment is not available. Spread over a weekend this is 12.5% of the total time. BUT we can't just up the price by 12.5% and allow people to stay for these hours as the cleaning has to be done. Realistically we would need to block off a day either end of the rental so the price would double for a weekend.

Now hotels are able to clean rooms from early departing guests and ready them for some (not all) new guests so you could check in earlier.

So you have 3 choices

1) Accept that Airbnb hosts are doing their best to provide a clean listing at a reasonable time

2) Book a hotel and hope you can persuade them to give an early check in or late check out

3) If you are really happy to pay then book an extra day at the beginning and/or end of your weekend and then turn up/leave whenever you want to.