Check out guide (for non-native English speakers)

Check out guide (for non-native English speakers)

In our years of hosting, I would say the majority of our guests who are non-native English speakers have not followed our check out instructions and have been our messiest guests.  It has been difficult at times to hold on to the spirit of diversity and inclusion when time after time you have to do much more cleaning than you have come to expect....but I think I have found a solution!

I have been holding on to the idea that this is a language issue and a simple case of not understanding so I can keep believing the best of all guests.  So, with the help of our adorable dog I have created an illustrated check out guide for our guests.  So far it has been a hit! Silly, playful, fun and most of all hard to ignore!

(p.s. If you want to see the full guide send me a note. )

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 6.06.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.53.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.53.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.56.09 PM.png

15 Replies 15

I love it!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is amazing @Chelsie-And-Kevin0 🙂 Jeff looks very at home with hosting. Does he also help with welcoming guests? 

(Also, you might like this thread Meet the pets)! 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Of course! He welcomes almost all of our guests and we try to personalize it if they are in town celebrating something...

IMG_3308 (1).jpgIMG_2809.jpg

@Chelsie-And-Kevin0

Totally love your approach!!!!! What is considered "normal" and "common sense" really really differs between different parts of the world and sometimes it's not as obvious as some might like to think.

A picture is worth a thousand words 🙂  

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Gorgeous dog!  Does  he get a extra treat if he does the ironing?  I actually prefer to strip the bed myself so that I can see at a glance if there are any stains that need treating before washing.  Lovely idea though.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Exactly, @Rachel0. Usually you know if the sheets are bundled that you will have to do a stain check. But I love love love this manual!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

This is adorable!!  If effective as well, super win-win.  Kudos for your creativity.

Elsa64
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

He's adorable and it's such a good idea, thank you

just saying ...  😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chelsie-And-Kevin0

I love this! What a great way to get your message across in a manner that will make guests smile rather than feel bossed about. Now, if only I could get my cats to do that (fat chance).

I also prefer to strip the beds myself, but there's no reason why you can't check linens for stains when taking them out of the laundry baskets. I also empty the trash myself as I try to recycle as much as possible, and can't rely on guests to separate things properly, but that's just me.

Joanne-Flynn0
Level 9
Phoenicia, NY

What a fantastic idea!!!

we just got a puppy and want to do this

thanks for the inspiration. 

I ask my guest to leave the place as they found it. Wash and put away dishes, etc. This helps to not add time to my housekeeper's work.

I also prefer that the sheets are left on the bed. Much easier to see any stains when everything is flat.

I do ask that they leave the towels hung in the bathroom so that on the rare occasion that I have a very late checkout and the room is not cleaned on the day of their departure, I won't have a pile of moldy towels to wash.

Recycling: I provide a guide to recycling in my Hosts Manual, but don't expect them to put out the recycling or trash, unless their containers fill up. This happens on longer stays, or if they really like beer!

Love the idea of pictures, but don't have a cute dog...

Donatella26
Level 10
Mondolfo, Italy

@Chelsie-And-Kevin0 what a great idea! the instructions of your co-host are very very clear, impossible to ignore them.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

In the balearics, we are bound by licence terms to provide everything in 4 languages.

Everything.. from house rules to house operations, to operating instructions for appliances, to tips and local things to do, TV stations, Radio Stations, right down to the labels on various switches ... is written in German, Spanish, French, and English. 

We also speak German and Spanish. French is pretty rough for us, but we can get by. 

Not that in any practical sense, it matters so much, as Germans (our most frequent guest nationality) tend to be fluent in English. Spanish and French guests less so. 

Personally I think it's a good policy. It makes guests feel more comfortable, it enhances, safety, and that helps with ratings. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

great idea, I love it 😄 lovely dog ❤️