Check out procedures frequently ignored, maybe asking too much?

Joi0
Level 3
Blacksburg, VA

Check out procedures frequently ignored, maybe asking too much?

I was wondering if you all could evaluate my check out list. In the off season (winter) I might have several weeks between guests so I have to ask the guests to do a few extra things upon their departure. I have have about 20 guests and I have never had a single one comply with my list entirely. I am willing to let little thigns go, but I was just wondering, am I asking too much? What could I take off the list? Should I instead as my cleaning person to take on some if these jobs, and pay her for doing so? (I would have to pass the cost along to the guest.) Should I be more insistent with the guests and send them "friendly reminders" on check out day? I have had several problems with the trash-they don't take it out, and it piles up and then the next guest arrives to a pile of trash in the driveway. Any advice on this subject is welcome! Thank you!

See my list below:

CHECK OUT TIME IS 10AM unless otherwise discussed.

Upon departure please:

• Load and run the dishwasher, do not leave any dirty dishes out
  • Add 5 chlorine tablets to filter part of the hot tub- even if you did not use it, latch lid closed
  • Begin a load of towels or bath mats. Please leave sheets on the beds. Our cleaner will remove them.
  • Return any items (deck furniture, baby chair, etc.) to their original location.
  • Bring red and white deck chairs inside
  • Stack red Adirondack chairs outside (so they are less likely to blow away.)
  • Pull all curtains closed, upstairs and downstairs to prevent fading of furniture/rugs
  • If you accidentally break something, or lose something, or stain something, please let me know so I can take care of it before our next guest comes.
  • Leave thermostat on 55 for winter and 80 for summer (upstairs and downstairs thermostats)
  • Empty all wastebasket trash into grey bin outside.
  • Put all recycling into green bin outside.
  • Take trash out the day of your departure. Leave bins at the other side of the bridge, on the little trash can “landing” (both trash and recycling are picked up early Monday morning).
  • Close and lock windows and doors
  • Replace key to lock box
  • Sign the guest book if you please and tell us which restaurants and activities you enjoyed!
1 Reply 1
Sarah12
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I think this is definitely asking too much. I would give them a choice upon booking to pay more for cleaning, and if they dont want to, there is a check list they can follow and see how that goes?

I wouldnt like to do all this. 🙂