Check your listings! Non-shared rooms suddenly marked as shared.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Check your listings! Non-shared rooms suddenly marked as shared.

Check the "Rooms and Spaces" sections of your listings! There are new options for designating which rooms are shared and with whom. All of my listings' bedrooms and bathrooms were pre-ticked as "shared." No idea when that happened but it seems it could explain a slow-down in bookings...

There are also new options to associate photos with specific rooms.

Thanks for another smooth and well-documented feature roll-out, Airbnb!  😞 

62 Replies 62
Zita21
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

This is certainly a topic of conversation across Australian host groups as well. Just fixed my listings up. 😬

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lisa723 

thank you, I checked my listings (entire apartments) and bedrooms seems shared with others 😄 😄  Apparently, if there are 2 twin beds or 1 double bed in the bedroom then it is "shared space" haha

sharedbedroom.jpg

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

I can’t even get to my listing.  The page just hangs...

This is more like a major hack than another tech fiasco.

I wonder how they’ll explain this one...

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Ok...I can only view my listing in the app, and you’re all correct, it’s totally messed up... but I can’t fix any of the mess they’ve made of my listing because nothing works.

What are those in the “ivory towers”  thinking and what right do they have to change our listings into something theyre not with no warning or permission?

@Lizzie  this has gotten too stupid for words.

This has been the month from hell with double talking lack of support and abysmal communication and follow through, and refusal to respond with answers to legitimate issues effecting our ability to safely do business.  

Its become a full time job of fighting to create order from chaos created by those who have no idea what the effects of their actions are and could care less.  The continual nonsense has become so commonplace it can’t be a hack because it’s the norm.

I’ll honor existing bookings but any other open dates will be given to a competitor that actually respects those who pay thier fees by communicating clearly and operating consistently and professionally according to industry standards and safety protocols.

It’s not terrible guests that are driving me away from Airbnb, it’s Airbnb’s management.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Susan1028,

Thanks so much for flagging this to me, I am sorry you and others are experiencing this. 

We have reported this to the Airbnb Product Team and they are currently looking into it. The detailed information that everyone has been sharing has been really helpful in enabling us to do this – so massive thank you.

We will keep you posted and will share an update once we know more. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb too busy trying to rule the world,  and yet do everything badly. All this push for the new ‘airbnb adventures’ and traditional hosts being treated with utter contempt and relegated  way down the list of what seems important to this company. Not everyone can afford £500 per night. But it’s all down to money. Airbnb can make much more $$$$ from Plus, boutique hotels and Adventures, than a just a simple room in our homes. These seem to be their priorities? 

@David6 

Airbnb may want to but won’t “rule the world” because it’s too scattered and can’t handle what it’s already in for.

Meetup, Facebook, and other global competitors already command “adventures” without the chaos, liability double talk and high fees.

Symptoms of dysfunction increase when insatiable expansion and exploitation of foundational elements surpasses reason, mission, purpose, and level of service, eventually rendering it...unsustainable.

There are so many comparisons in history and current events it’s all become a blur of rises and falls...in times when things are coming apart at the seams and as the dust settles, only those that have maintained thier foundations well remain standing.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan1028 

Absolutely agree. Once Airbnb loose their unique USP. ‘Live like a local’ ! Remember that used to be their mantra?!

But now, oh yes the ‘locals’ all live in boutique hotels and trot of on adventures every day. Haha. What a joke. Imagine Airbnb even  2 years ago, introducing hotels. We all would have laughed.  Who is actually steering this company? 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@David6 @Susan1028 I joined 2 years & 4 months ago. I'd always wanted to do b&b/host foreign tourists but feared modern expectations had got too high for my modest, ramshackle, lived in house..... Then I discovered Airbnb with its 'Live like a local',  & thought 'Eureka!  And by & large, guests are more than happy with what I offer, it does the job, & is super cheap. And some find it rather charming! But since the creeping gentrification of Airbnb, I've been worrying that people's expectations will have changed; that they will be expecting hotel standards, because that's what so many rival listings on the same page offer... Thankfully I've only had a couple of guests that looked shocked & dismayed by what they found, most still know what they expect to find & are happy & satisfied.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen350 

Hear you. I’m listing a very modest property in Spain that belonged to my late grandparents. It is old fashioned, very dated looking but has a really nice  view. I explain this in the listing and the nightly rate is very reasonable and it constantly receives 5* reviews. 

When i I travelled around Morocco I wanted to stay with actual local families. Some of the rooms were extremely basic, but the hospitality was next level.  

Not everyone has the budget for a £100 per night room or even wants to stay in a place like that. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

We need an 'Airbnb simple' category/designation.... Or 'Airbnb traditional/original'..... (Or a new company/operator/platform...)

@Helen350  Yes! As a homeshare host AND frequent homeshare guest, I don't think this idea is going by the wayside. People will always be looking for budget accommodations and I'd rather spend $60-80 for a nice room in a shared home, than $60-80 at some creepy, nasty motel. It's only because of the homeshares I'm able to travel so often.

If ABB does not go back to embracing the homeshares, I think another company could steal business easily as ABB has already introduced the concept to the general public, they've just stopped caring about it.

Yup...... I checked my listing..... and my private bedroom w/ private bath listing was set as a shared room shared bath. Thanks for the update @Lisa723 

Elizabeth884
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

I spoke with an Airbnb Representative moments ago-He seemed to have no clue this was happening-has escalated my complaint!!!

When I said I’d like a manager he said that he was one.

How can this be???

each and every host needs an email and a personal phone call.