Check your listings! Non-shared rooms suddenly marked as shared.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Check your listings! Non-shared rooms suddenly marked as shared.

Check the "Rooms and Spaces" sections of your listings! There are new options for designating which rooms are shared and with whom. All of my listings' bedrooms and bathrooms were pre-ticked as "shared." No idea when that happened but it seems it could explain a slow-down in bookings...

There are also new options to associate photos with specific rooms.

Thanks for another smooth and well-documented feature roll-out, Airbnb!  😞 

62 Replies 62

@Elizabeth884 this is par for the course for Airbnb. The company seems to be run by twelve-year-olds.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Both my private rooms had been changed to 'shared rooms'. Very annoyed about this. Why is it so hard to email all hosts in advance with the upcoming changes to booking settings!

Have Airbnb made comment yet?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I did not find any changes to my listing.  I am in California, USA.  I did see the additional options under amenities, accessibility.  I am using a computer, not a device.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Linda108 

Count your blessings & touch wood.  

We've been hit with it here in New Zealand last week

@Helen427  I am going to keep this issue on my radar and check my listing frequently.  That's what I love about this forum - heads up! 😄

I have an airbnb plus listing close to the "mothership" in San Francisco.  Instead of "shared space" boxes being checked for each room/space, my listing now has "private space" boxes that were all checked.  Some of the spaces are not private!  For example, the front of the building at the entrance, laundry area, and backyard are all shared with me.  I also lost the ability to list the pullout bed in the living room.  Exactly the opposite of what has happed to listing in New Zealand @Helen427 !  sigh.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Sleeping arrangements in Laundry!Sleeping arrangements in Laundry!Sleeping arrangements in the Bathroom!Sleeping arrangements in the Bathroom!Sleeping arrangements in Kitchen??Sleeping arrangements in Kitchen??

Too Funny, Sleeping arrangements are now available to be included in Kitchen, Laundry & Bathroom!!!

Wouldn't have thought that was legal, is it?

No wonder we are all been hit with silly Regulations by Councils etc

@Helen427 

Wow - sleeping in the bath legitimised by Airbnb! Heading off to update my listing - now accommodates 9, bathbed optional @ £100 extra per. night! Ka-ching !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kVTqUxJYBA

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue, I've escalated it to the QA team and hope to have some information for you as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Stephanie 

This issue has already been reported to Airbnb countless times, by countless hosts all around the world. It's not like they're not already fully aware of it. 

I tagged @Airbnb into this thread three days ago, and still not a dicky bird from them. What's the purpose of this CC, if not to keep hosts informed and updated - in a timely manner - of serious issues that can potentially have very negative impacts on their businesses and livelihoods? The radio silence and stonewalling from this company has gone way beyond acceptable now. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lisa723 

That's because an SQL programmer does not understand the nuances of what shared accommodation means and is applying inappropriate alterations and updates to code and tables, I suspect he/she probably hasn’t even read the data flow diagram or reviewed the data model for the database.

Remember one of the Airbnb’s corporate mantras is “fail fast”, while host do the bug fixing!  Which incidentally is a very costly element of database development an apparently hosts will do it for free.

Wake up hosts and demand better…

PS. just in case you get confused, I've posted this comment in the "help" section regarding the exact same issue raised by another host, which further goes to show the fragmentation nature of these blogs, which ameliorates their usefulness and pointes to the chaotic of Airbnb’s processes.

Has anybody checked what the “terms of service” say about an issue like this?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Cormac0 @Lisa723 @Susan17 @Lizzie @Stephanie @Ian and Anne-Marie1

It would be good if the "Terms of Contract for those in the IT Team" were looked into as these IT issues are unacceptable.

Bookings have been seriously affected the last couple of months Worldwide from what has been written in here & on other online forums.

Someone's Terms of Contract may need to be torn up as they are not up to the job.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Helen427  @Cormac0  In the US software developers are typically not on contract and are hired and fired at will. Speaking as a professional software developer: all software has bugs. Airbnb’s quality issues probably have more to do with an immature and inadequate quality assurance and roll-out process than incompetence on the part of its programmers. There is really no excuse for management allowing obviously unverified software to be released and failing to notify customers of version updates. If my employer operated this way it would be out of business. Unfortunately Airbnb lacks serious competition.

Toby-and-Nate0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Just checked this on our listing, it has affecting UK bookings as well.

Airbnb
Official Account

Hello,

This month, Airbnb gave hosts a new way to update your listing's rooms and spaces that creates a bit more accuracy and transparency about the space itself, giving guests more details and enabling you to be more descriptive.

The first time you enter the new flow, we ask you to add the new information in a 3-step process. We’ve done our best to carry over your existing settings in the new flow so it’s less work for you. Importantly, none of the new, pre-populated information is live or saved to your listing profile until you hit “Save.”

Last week, we experienced a bug in Step 2 of the process where some homes marked as Entire places or Private rooms incorrectly had all the toggles for their rooms turned on by default to "Shared with others", when the toggles should have been set to “Private”.

This understandably caused some confusion, but rest assured that none of your settings were actually changed, and this information was NOT displayed to guests unless you hit “Save.”

We are in the process of fixing the bug and are currently updating the flow to make the steps a bit more clear. As always, we appreciate your partnership and thank you for hosting!

Thank you