Checkin request for 1am

Esra1
Level 1
New York, United States

Checkin request for 1am

Hey everyone! 

I have a guest that wants to check in at 1am. Do you think I'm within my rights to request them to book an additional night as they will basically staying an extra night? 

Sample dates: 

Day 22 to Day 29

My check in time is after 3pm. They are requesting to check in at 1am on the 22nd. 

I don't think its very fair for me to be holding the 21st for them without them booking - and I would have to close that day for any bookings to accomodate their check in time. 

Hoping for some helpful feedback.

Thanks! 

14 Replies 14
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

Absolutely I would be asking for an extra night. No hotel would allow them to check in at 1am. That is the night before. They are basically trying to get a night for free. I would very politely go back to them and explain that you can offer a check in flexibility for a couple of hours - say from 1pm, but any earlier than that would require a booking for the previous night.

Good luck! 

I concur with Gillian... 1 am is absolutely crazy... 

@Esra1, @Randolph1, @Gillian19:
We have had guests come in as late as 3 AM. I have personally booked into a hotel at 2 AM while travelling. Late night arrivals are common in the travel industry.

Due to the way Airbnb's system works the guest will need to book prior to midnight the night before but then can arrive at any time as long as your house rules permit it. Of course, they would need to check out by whatever time you have listed unless they want to book the second night. Just be clear with the guest when they book and we have had no problems.

@Tim-and-Holly0@Esra1@Randolph1

I wasn't implying you can't check in at any time of the night - just that you would be expected to pay for that night.  I am sure there are a handful of hotels that operate on a 24hr booking (rather than a calendar day) but that is not usual. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You are correct in feeling abused. This is not the way business is done through Airbnb.

Your checkin time is your checkin time.

Stand by it.

They will be there 7 whole days. Is this a relationship you want to start with them walking all over you?

It will be 7 days of hell.

Even if they were good, I'd be constantly thinking what curve ball will they send me.

If they are nice, you like them and it is a slow time of year, you can charge them a $50 early check in fee.

See how they react and let them cancel if they are unhappy.

Esra1
Level 1
New York, United States

I use to have my check in time listed as any time after 3pm, I have since changed it to reasonable hours - I never thought I'd need to get so specific and I've added in wording advising that check-ins after midnight on the day of will need to book the night before. 

This is just raised questions: if I ask for that additional night, will I incur a poor review after because they are unhappy with me. Or if I ask for that additional night, I may also run the risk of them canceling on me. 

This is my first year on airbnb, I'm a fairly new listing. For the most part, my apartment has been booked, althought not only through airbnb. I don't want to run into issues with a poor review because someone decided they wanted to pull one over on me, and then couldn't. 

I wish there was a way for owners to leave reviews on guests that only other owners would see. 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

Are you sure she just isnt confused. Telling you she wants to check in at 1am on the 22nd when she really means the 23rd. Otherwise she woukd be checking in too early. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

IF the guest meant really 1am on the 22nd, then their request is absurd, on two grounds: #1- What a ridiculous thing to ask and expect not to pay? #2- Arriving at 1am is a grand accomodation as it is, paying or not paying.

You now have two yellow flags on what type of people you are dealing with, no reason to overreact, but caution may be in order.

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

Definately.  It's an extra day and night.  1AM to 3PM.  Don't give them any deal either.  I did that once when I waited up until 4AM and then didn't charge an extra day and they gave me a 4 star for VALUE.  Really?  I won't make that mistake again.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Esra1

They booked 22. - 29.

Your check in time is from 3 pm .

They want to arrive 14 hours EARLIER , at 1 am on 22-nd.

No way 🙂 If you had guests before them they would be leaving when..? At 11 am on 22-nd, right? So new guests can not check in before previous guest leave and you do the cleaning.

People are sometimes confused and think in 24 h/ day period starting from midnight to midnight, but in hotel industry it is noon to noon period. Explain them. And of course limit your check in time from 3 pm to let's say 7 pm.... bc there will allways be guests pushing it and arrive at 8 or 9 pm with some traffic excuses

@Esra1

22nd 1am check in means the reservation needs to be from the 21st. This is the same for ALL hotels, motels, guest houses - Airbnb is no different. I seriously don't understand people who say this is confusing - it's only confusing because people are cheap and trying to scam people into providing a free night. I would not put up with that BS and just tell those people to find somewhere else to stay because clearly my listing is not what they are looking for. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

This situation just happened to me. The guest wanted to check in at 4AM on the first day of their reservation. I explained that the room could quite possibly be booked the "night" before they arrive; meaning that at 4AM there could be other guests sleeping in the bed. In this case the standard check out/check in rules would apply. If the guest wanted me to "officially hold" the room/bed for them they would have to book the night before which I would offer to them at a discounted rate. I did give them a pretty low rate (it's during a slow period and I figured it will give me more of a flexible timeframe to clean.) They seemed happy. Either way I make a little extra money and they get an 11-hour early check-in. Hopefully, it's a win-win but we'll wait for the review 🙂

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Never happened to me, well not yet.

I was going to say nobody booking could be that stupid, but on second thoughts....

I would probably make some facetious reply on needing to check with Guests who book that night that they are willing to share.

David
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

In the long annals of hosting, asking to check in at 1AM, and not even thinking of paying for an extra day, is breaking totally new grounds. LoL