Chesky interview on Bloomberg

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Chesky interview on Bloomberg

This is only part of the interview. I must say it the rest was the most inspiring I've seen him give. David Rubenstein asked some great questions and went into Brian's background, growing up, family, education, early photos from highschool, early carrier, etc. How he and his two friends started Airbnb and how they have remained friends and business partners throughout. Also his trip with Obama to Cuba.

He even books Airbnb's himself, stays in them and reviews them, just like regular guest. 

Part of his vision he claimed, moving forward and how he wants to grow the company, was to bring people together and create community.

I'm glad to see some recent improvements with Airbnb policy. I'd like to see more. 

All in all I think hosting is very positive experience. 

Too bad the entire interview isn't available but this is part of it. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2022-03-16/the-biggest-mistake-airbnb-ceo-brian-chesky-ever-ma...

8 Replies 8
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@John5097 I wish I could find this positive and inspiring. But sadly for me its the opposite. 

I have stopped consuming media where Mr. Chesky self-congratulates. Airbnb could  be a vehicle for more community connection and I believe that this is the image the company likes to sell. In my experience, it has been more about opening your doors to people who believe you are offering hotel-like amenities at bargain prices and providing a space where any reasonable rules probably do not apply to them. Most of my guests have been decent to good, but the communication I have to sift through to get to those people is nothing less than exhausting. If he wants "connection" why do reviews matter? I never review the friends and family I connect with....

I want control over my space and I want to be able to say when I don't want someone in it who won't respect it. I want help when I miss the red flags without putting on my attorney hat and presenting a Clarence Darrow- worthy argument to ABB CS. I want no questions or nasty warning emails when a family with a 18 month old wants to book my unsafe space and I say "no." In short, as the mortgage and tax payer on my home I want the rights I actually have as a property owner without fear of a poor review or an ABB bot telling me I am about to get in trouble. The last straw was a guest who shot and killed wildlife on my property. I called CS several times and it was only when I posted here in the community that I got any traction. That is unbelievable to me. All it takes is one bad guest for a true tragedy to occur. ABB seems to twiddle its thumbs in the meantime.

I have said we are selling our property. I bought into the "ABB vision" in the beginning. But the blinders are off. I did not find this to be a great experience and prefer to cash in my chips and move on. I didn't make life long friends with guests or learn new things about myself. I say this as a host who has maintained a very high rating over several years-- the juice was not worth the squeeze. The fantasy of Chesky's ABB is so far off the reality for many of us, its not even worth considering. 

@Laura2592 

What you have accomplished with your listing has been impressive. You found a unique out of the way property and have been very successuful with your vision to create it into a short term rental. I understand how frustrating some of the policies are including the specific one you mentioned about increased risk to host by forcing children or toddlers. In part that is inherent to the historic dwelling you have. In particular a stair case can be a huge risk, and should conform to existing building codes. So I suspect you made the right decission to avoid risk. I'm sure any suggestions or comments you make regarding your hosting experience are valued to the community and company.

Its kind of mind boggling the scale at which Airbnb operates. They must be losing hundreds of listings daily over unfair review or a guest that is being dishonest. I don't think its necessarily an easy situation to balance out. I did take a break so missed the guest who killed wildlife. That would be illegal where I am, and the guest responsibility. 

Although for me its has been a positive experience. I don't interact with gueset much. A simple "thank you, very excited!" is all I need. If they don't communicate its a little stressful but at least they don't bother me and end up leaving great review. 

So maybe you will find another place to list. There have been some recent improvements to the policy. Host can now decline assistance animals, for example. I think there may have been too many injures. 

I also may not keep hosting if there is too much risk. 

Although I did find the interview inspiring. Its a unique story and one of the remarkable individuals who was at the right place at the right time with the right idea. I also think the recent reports of Airbnb host and guest booking reservations in Ukraine one of few silver linings of the awful invasion by evil Putin. Its a bigger story. I think Brian Chesky needs to keep giving as many interviews as possible. I'm just a host renting out a back apartment, but there are a lot of young people who need inspiration. Some of the things he said were very wise that weren't in the clip and unique to his experience. He said to solve something in your own life and that will grow. That with his partners he leaned not to try and win every conversation. The fact Airbnb was the only company operating in Cuba when all the sanctions were dropped and he went there with Obama, is just remarkable achievement. 

But I appreciate your candor. In my experience mistakes a costly. Maybe he isn't listening to host and lose the super host to another platform that does.  Its just a business also. Other personal choices with everyone may be far more important. I thought the same way about Steve Jobs when Apple was tanking and he had been fired. 

As I said the entire interview was inspiring. 

I'm also convinced this was progress and things will work out. Its what you learn that's has value. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Laura2592 

I think a lot of guest and host have unrealistic expectations. I was just planning to rent out a back apartment long term, or me live in the back apartment and rent out the front apartment. Then during the renovation started googling around and noticed a lot of listings in the neighborhood, so that was an option, and I adjusted my reno plans to accomodate both short of long term. STR wasn't even legal at the time but soon became legal so it became an option. 

So I rented out long term for a year while I was working full time. But really wanted to try STR as I put a lot of work into it and it had potential for higher income, and its really suited more for short stays as its a compact space. 

Above all it allowed me more flexibility. I also wasn't getting to interact with many people in my full time job. It was a total grind and very dangerous. 

I don't think Airbnb recruits host with any kind of offers or ask for any money. Anyone can just create an account and start hosting. Just because some host have made a carrier out of hosting or manage to pay for a second home, and they don't like it, broke a fingernail because the cleaners didn't show up, doesn't mean they were scammed or Airbnb has done something unethical.  

I don't find that kids are any higher risk. Mine is just a one bedroom so best for couples or solo travelers. I did notice host are required to maintain 88% acceptance rate for reservations to get super host status so not thrilled about that but there are other options. 

Just the nature of it, where any one can list any space for rent, creates a safety risk. To do this Airbnb has to suspend listing right away and require proper documentation that the safity issue has been resolved. A lot of host get really upset but once again just the nature of it. Same thing if you call the gas company and they detect a leak, the meter gets shut off and locked until its repaired. 

I even think ABB was dissolutioned or had good intentions by accommodating pets as part of their policy, notably ESAs, however one only has to look in the yellow pages under "attorneys" and find dozens of full page ads that say, "Dog bite? Hurt at work?" That doesn't make me non "pet friendly" Same with offering canoe, bike or kayak. Not gonna happen. 

At any rate I was in the camp of concerned about safety of guest pets and someone being injured. Others, like yourself, are more concerned about kids. 

I also had no clue who the CEO was. Just like I have no clue CEO of Expedia is. But if someone has a great story and did something on their own, and I think its interesting, I dont' see why another host would have a problem with that. Why not just start another topic? 

With all the terrible news about the Ukrane invasion, Airbnb had a very positive news events. 

I'm also hopeful that ABB can make some improvements in a lot of areas. 

For me the back apartment is a good fit and I get wonderful guest. Its a very positive experince. I wish the online community was as positive. In fact I'm surprised at the level of bullying, but also the nature of on line communication. 

I don't know if this would have been an option if not for Airbnb. It has opened up unused spaces for travel. I've also been checking out other options but so far don't seem to be a good fit, and Airbnb has better communication and ratings. 

Anyway I just thought it was a good interview. 

Edit: My motivation was to rent out a space so I could also live somewhere else and travel more. And it has opened up more options. There is risk to everything but kind of used to it. So far no safety issues and fully licensed and insured. 

I also think we have similar approach and problem solvers and generally positive approach. 

@John5097 I appreciate your insights as always. 

I have 2 big complaints with Airbnb.  

1. I don't have rights to my property if I list here. That means that if I get sick or need to house a family member I have to "prove" I can't host and be can punished like a naughty child.  I can't say who is safe and unsafe in my space without reprisal.  I get pressure to open my calendar on closed dates, price lower, host long term stays. Airbnb wants to pretend it's a loose feel good connector of people but it's really a nebbish restrictor of owners rights for properties ABB has no stake in. I'm waiting for someone to take them to court TBH. My neighbor can't tell me when I can use my own space, it's crazy to me that some corporate platform can. I pay the taxes. I am the deed holder. I get to say what happens in my space. Someone's "vacation" does not negate my need to pay the mortgage, so it should not negate my rights.

2. Support does not exist.  Unfortunately I have had some issues with guests over the years and there's ZERO and I mean ZERO support.  Hosts know how this is. I don't need to go into a long list of examples-- everything from missed payouts to parties. So you want control of my space to squeeze money out of it, I do all the work and I get no back up? Got it.

Chesky fits the typical 'tech bro' profile of many other popular app CEOs. I'm sorry if I don't get inspired by what he does. I think he was in the right place at the right time and doesn't have any magic about him whatsoever. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. And there's a lot of lumps in the Airbnb pudding that need to be blended. I can't say I am sad to leave. In fact, considering that I might never have to deal with any of this again makes me almost giddy.

@Laura2592 

I don't see how Airbnb is in control of your property. I don't think it reasonable for host to be able to cancel a reservation because they need to house a family member. If that's the primary use of the the host property Airbnb is not a good fit. With Instant Book host get 3 penality free cancelations. 

I have also been very critical of Airbnb policies here at the CC. One in partular was of a video of Brian with the updates. I think all guest and host should have to verify goverment ID although host do have the option to include that in their listing. 

I also not employed by Airbnb so can't speak for any other policies. Of course a lot of people don't like Airbnb. Our city had a two year Short Term Rental public study, that included a STR task force commissioned and hiring consulitng firms, and many open public meetings. It was very controversial with both proponents and opposition. From this the city drafted their STR ordinance. 

To me it is work. I'm sure most host primary reason is some additional income. 

Just being reviewed can cause stress. 

But I think its reasonable that reservations to be honored. Host always have the option to just stop hosting. My situation could change and hosting may not be an option for me. 

I just think its a remarkable achievement that a few individuals started a business and company out of their own apartment. 

There are much worse examples of unethical rental companies. Blackstone comes to mind. Their cash flow is from increasing rents on the second year. For Airbnb host set the rates, host decide how often they want to host. If a host has health issues and can't work about that, its very unfortunate, but a company can't stay in business if guest all get canceled. 

I've had good experience with customer service. I realize its best not to need them. 

I think a female or anyone of any nationality could have started Airbnb. I also like others from all over the world. I only mention that because you said he was a tech bro. Although, I also think it would be a good idea for Airbnb to have other executives, such as Cathleen Powel, or even someone in Europe to give interviews and kind of become a face for the hosting and guest community. I think traveling, tourism, will be a factor in the recent unrest, war, in Europe that has ramifications for the rest of the world.  

I"m also looking forward to the day I'm not hosting, but for now I have obligations and this is a good fit for me. My guest are simply renting a space. I get paid. I'm glad that guest trust me. I like the reviews. They can be stressful but at the same time anyone in the community can find my listing on the first page and see all positive reviews. 

No worries though. Most of the time I find that the future is impossible to predict. Sometimes when something like this, hosting, may not have been ideal, it was still great progress and other opportunities open up. 

On a more persoanl note I was impressed that you are independent and stick to your own values and have been nice to everyone, and contributed so many positive discussions. For me at times its too many problems here at the forums but I'm kind of hard wired to try and fix things that can be problematic. But that's getting even more off topic.  

@John5097 thanks. We can certainly disagree but I'm glad you find hope and inspiration in Airbnb. And I'm sure your guests appreciate your positive attitude.  

For me, there are just too many risks without support.

@Laura2592 thanks, I just thought it was good interview and have been pretty honest and open in my views on various policies on how to improve them. That seems like an odd mischaracterization. This isn't a topic about Airbnb support or other policies. Its more in the context of the recent news coverage of Airbnb guest and host booking listings in Ukraine. The CEO did start this in his apartment. I think that aspect is inspiring story. 

I'm glad so many guest have enjoyed my listing. I get a wide range of people. I enjoy offering a safe place. Some guest are more challenging. I may make some changes in my life and it may improve or there is always risk so its always possible one person could end my hosting experience.  That's why I have options. 

The other Airbnbs in my area are have been doing well for many years. One down the street is a school teacher so its some extra income. 

Anyway good luck with the sale of your investment property and your next ventures!