Chicago Issues Travel Order Requiring Anyone Traveling to, From These 15 States to Quarantine

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Chicago Issues Travel Order Requiring Anyone Traveling to, From These 15 States to Quarantine

Chicago issued an emergency travel order Thursday directing anyone who visits one of 15 states in the U.S. currently experiencing a rise in coronavirus cases to quarantine for 14 days.

Chicago Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said travelers entering or returning to Chicago from "states experiencing a surge in new COVID-19 cases" will need to quarantine "for a 14-day period from the time of last contact within the identified state."

The order is set to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Monday and remain in effect until further notice.

States included in the order are: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/chicago-issues-travel-order-anyone-who-visits-these-15-s...

9 Replies 9
Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

This is the result of spiking numbers of cases in the 15 states listed, and peoples' unwillingness to take this pandemic seriously. 

Also: Chicago Department of Health extends the block on one-night reservations until July 31st. 

oh wow, that's interesting.  I'm surprised it doesn't include Ohio or Indiana since it's so close.  I'm in Cincinnati, and I get a few from Chicago.

@Yiwei3 The issue isn't in Chicago. The issue is in the states that were listed. The states that currently see huge spikes. 

Ohio and Indiana aren't states currently seeing huge spikes. 

The Chicago Department of Health is trying to protect Chicagoans, who have worked inordinately hard to bring the case loads down, from seeing spikes caused by travel to and from the listed states. 

John4753
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Do you know if Airbnb will cancel these reservations or if the guest has to cancel? I have someone coming to Chicago on 7/10 from southern California. She plans to look around town for an apartment so that is not the same as quarantining.

@John4753   I had one guest coming in from Texas. I called him, and he cancelled right away, because he didn't want to spend more than his 6 booked days, and 14 days wouldn't have worked for me either.    Since I have a moderate policy anyway, he would have received his money back (not sure about the fees).

The only thing I know about Airbnb automatically cancelling for you (or your guest) is that they were cancelling any booked stays of one night, due to the health regulations, and blocking calendars. Stays of more than one night needed additional review, but were then allowed to go through. 

I would try reaching out to the guest, and having them cancel. As far as I understand the term "quarantine", it means staying at home, not apartment-hunting.  If the guest doesn't want to cancel, you might have to reach out to Airbnb CS. 

Good input, thanks.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Michelle53 @John4753 @Yiwei3 ,

As local lockdowns and changes to how travel is handled,  it's advised that if you have guests (or are a guest travelling to or from those areas) you contact the CS team at your earliest convenience to handle the booking appropriately. 

We have the same thing happening in UK last week, Leicester went into local lockdown, so we have to be on our toes with adapting to these states of play.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hi @Stephanie 

I think the issue with trying to contact CS is the inordinate wait time on the phone, and lack of response to messaging. 

We're left to handle things as best we can, on our own. 

Perhaps there ought to be a dedicated Covid hotline.  Currently, when you call the Airbnb number, the auto attendant just directs you back to the website for changes and cancellations. 

Two weeks ago, I needed to extend an in-progress reservation for one day. It was complicated because our calendars are automatically blocked for one-day reservations. I sent a message to CS, because I gave up waiting on the phone. I still haven't received any response, and the guest has long checked out.  

@Stephanie   " contact the CS team at your earliest convenience to handle the booking appropriately. "

In case you haven't heard, CS (which now should be called CD- customer disservice) is virtually impossible to reach these days 🙂 Not much point trying to contact them if they never respond.