Children Under 2 for Free Rule Has to GO!

Christine-And-Gary0
Level 4
Spokane Valley, WA

Children Under 2 for Free Rule Has to GO!

As a Superhost with over 55 5-star reviews, I am appalled at this new rule of not charging for children under 2! Airbnb has got to reverse this before we hosts all find another hosting website to switch to. Children under 2 create much more mess, nuisance, damage and cost of linens, laundry and utilites. We have a large jetted tub  in our property and guess how babies get clean? They take baths ever time! We are now supposed to allow free baths with many gallons of water and electricity to families with babies and toddlers? Often there are more than one. Sometimes they take 4-8 baths & showers per day. Right now we have a family of four who only booked as 2 guests but have used all 3 beds and even took one apart and moved it for the baby! They have used every single towel, sheet, trash bin, light, water, etc. and have made a terrible mess leaving sticky food out all day. We provide breakfast here and also have to make sure there's enough for their darling "FREE" children. We are not compensated for all this extra work when it comes time to clean up and pay the bills.  We are not a HOTEL nor do we charge like one. Hotels have different rules and people have a choice to stay in them if they insist their kids stay for free. This FREE RULE is beyond ridiculous and has to go! If not, then we have the choice to take our business elsewhere. 

51 Replies 51
Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

It is quite simple, In the description it allows you to make your property unsuitable for infants under 2. I have done this as my home is more a corporate/ workers style home. Although I have hosted families with older children. On one occasion a family bought an infant but stated that it was 4 yrs so still had to pay. 

I always contact the guest through the chat button prior to accepting the booking and explain that the home is not suitable for infants so they are well aware then if they lie about age they still have to pay.

Yes, and sometimes they do lie. We once caught a lie because the child shouted out his real age in protest. Children can be so honest, lol! Here we have stated that we're not suitable or equipped for those under 2 but they disregard that and bring their infants & toddlers anyway. We would not mind as much and would make it more baby-friendly if they were actually counted as guests. I like how one person said they are "guests not ghosts"!

I find the free baby rule a concern as well.  Previously guests with babies put baby wipes down the toilet for 3 weeks.  It cost $1,800 to have a plumber dig up the back yard because the pipes couldn't be unblocked with the regular methods.  They also put food on every surface in the house.

Other guests with babies think it's ok to put the blankets from the sofa on the floor.  It always causes extra work even it it is nice to see babies in the house.

Christine-And-Gary0
Level 4
Spokane Valley, WA

Ok, now I'm rather pissed! That's horrible that you had to go through that! And what does our "broker" do? Now we all feel resentfull towards these families, however nice they might be, because we have been stripped of our rights as hosts to choose our clientele. You know, other businesses are allowed to turn away customers however they choose. No shirt, no shoes, NO service! Airlines allow babies to fly for free only if they sit on a parent's lap! They do not take up a whole seat, or bed, room, bathroom, kitchen, linens, food, utilities, etc. when they simply sit on a lap and scream throughout the whole flight! We all have to grin and bear those situations. But when it's your own home you should definitely have a choice! Shame on Airbnb for forcing these personal restrictions on us against our will!!!

Just to be clear.  I love Families staying.  I just don't think babies should be free.   With babies, there is always extra heating and extra cleaning and way more smelly garbage/trash.  

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Christine-And-Gary0

This is not a new rule, it has been like that for ages.  We would need to list our places as "not suitable for children under 2". Even worse, the infants do not count against the total number of guests, so you can end up with a booking of say 4 paying persons (if that is your max occupancy) and a number of infants in addition and for free.  

Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Christine-And-Gary0@Marit-Anne0 totally agree. I ended up with a booking for 10 adults and 4 free 0-2. Thankfully they were wonderful guests and very respectful of the property, but it is concerning that the additional infants were not factored into the guest numbers. 

Infants should be included in the guest numbers, and if that exceeds the maximum occupancy then the guests needs to engage with the host for a special offer if agreeable. 

Yes, up to 5 infants. Our listing stated that we were not suitable for children up to 2 yet there is nothing to stop them from booking. Sometimes they just show up with their babies and expect them to not count. Frustrating. ..

Steve416
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Hi @Christine-And-Gary0. I agree that ABB should not impose such requirements. There is also a huge difference between 0 to 2 years - a new born baby versus a toddler. It should be up to the guest and host to negotiate a lesser fee for infants if agreeable.

Also did you know that guests can bring up to 5 toddlers for free! Not ideal if you are on instant book and are a family listing, as I am. Something to think about......

@Steve416 Got an inquiry for this Saturday night. Just wants a nice place to stay and go to SeaWorld. 3 Adults, 5 children and 2 infants. Wants to check in an hour early. We said "Okay". Needs a highchair plus a pack and play for both infants. Hello, I need to buy another pack and play, sheets, matteress pads, anf blankets? I'm pretty sure my listing does not state more than 1 available. Then said they want to stay on Sunday with a late check out too. We said not possible.  She luckily has not booked yet. If she does this booking is going to cost me money for her to stay! 

Had a recent inquiry: 4 adults, asking for a discount for two 'extra' adults - "no discount, sorry". "Ok no problerm, but ok to bring 3 kids?" (under 5 are free in my offering). Hmmm, wasted some time, slot got filled by another Airbnber - "What a bummer, someone else just booked those dates! What a shame". Happy ending.

@Letti0  There are companies that rent baby equipment!!!  My one guests called ahead and rented highchair and pack and play.  We met the lady renting to them.  She says it is a nationwide business.  I have the flyer at the Airb&b.  Can't think of the name now.  No need to buy any baby equipment just have the guests line that up for themselves.  

We did coordinate with the service I drove 30 minutes down to meet her the day before they arrived, then after they checked out drove another 30 minutes and met her later that day so she could pick up.  They were my only guests to give us 4 stars!!!   We were perfect before them.  Ugh!   I will NEVER do that again.  If they rent they can meet the people.  No more being the middle man for us!   It's not like they had to have the items before they entered the house!  

Block the dates for a couple of days to make them book other

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

You do not need to buy anything new, just tell them what you have and leave it up to them to supply!