Children Under 2 for Free Rule Has to GO!

Christine-And-Gary0
Level 4
Spokane Valley, WA

Children Under 2 for Free Rule Has to GO!

As a Superhost with over 55 5-star reviews, I am appalled at this new rule of not charging for children under 2! Airbnb has got to reverse this before we hosts all find another hosting website to switch to. Children under 2 create much more mess, nuisance, damage and cost of linens, laundry and utilites. We have a large jetted tub  in our property and guess how babies get clean? They take baths ever time! We are now supposed to allow free baths with many gallons of water and electricity to families with babies and toddlers? Often there are more than one. Sometimes they take 4-8 baths & showers per day. Right now we have a family of four who only booked as 2 guests but have used all 3 beds and even took one apart and moved it for the baby! They have used every single towel, sheet, trash bin, light, water, etc. and have made a terrible mess leaving sticky food out all day. We provide breakfast here and also have to make sure there's enough for their darling "FREE" children. We are not compensated for all this extra work when it comes time to clean up and pay the bills.  We are not a HOTEL nor do we charge like one. Hotels have different rules and people have a choice to stay in them if they insist their kids stay for free. This FREE RULE is beyond ridiculous and has to go! If not, then we have the choice to take our business elsewhere. 

51 Replies 51

@Jonathan47  What about paying for the baby precludes staying in nice places? Those things aren't mutually exclusive.

I do, however agree that actual babies in arms shouldn't need to be paid for. The problem is Airbnb classifying 0-2 years old as "infants". There's a vast difference between a 4 month old who is being carried around and a rambuctious 2 year old who is running around under his own steam, leaving sticky food messes everywhere, knocking over the lamps, scribbling with crayons, not quite making it to the toilet on time, etc. And I'm not talking about some terror child,  just a normal 2 year old.

Young families are often stressed out and have a difficult financial situation - new mortage, new expenses for the infant, reduced income because somebody has to look after the infant.  So they need a break in every sense. If you fully welcome young families, there is never any mess left.  Can't say that about design professors who are the only one's who left a real mess. They must have thought they were entitled, unlike young families. Perhaps I should charge extra for professors?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can't agree @Jonathan47

This is not about charging families extra it is about them paying for the full number of guest staying.

If young families don't want to pay for their infant there are plenty of hotels or places that price by the apartment that they can stay at.

How can you state as a fact  "If you fully welcome young families, there is never any mess left". Read many on the posts here and on other forums that report the awful mess left by young families". This is not down to the child of course, but their  irresponsible parents.

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

Just don't allow any children. Never been a problem. We don't and we already have a 5 year old

I host a single occupancy private room for 1 adult, and I clearly state we are not suitable for infants/children and that we are not equipped to allow a 2nd guest regardless of age.

People can ask or book but it won't change the fact that I don't allow it. If the guest wants to go thru the bother of dealing with a cancellation and refund, it's on them. Their fault they don't read 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I have to admit, since Airbnb introduced new "Family  collection" we got just 1 inquiry for children 🙂 So, good job ABB !

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I am actually surprised you you have had that result.  A lot of my guest have no idea what Trip Type is and don't click on it or that a Family Collection even exists. I told a few families to use it next time when booking after they complained how hard it was to find places with amenities available for children they did not want to transport via plane.

They really could improve the Family Collection in my opinion. They require 4 amenities: 1) EssentialsTowels, bed sheets, soap, toilet paper, and pillows. 2) KitchenSpace where guests can cook their own meals. 3) TV and 4) Wifi Continuous access in the listing. They need to add a few things like a crib or Pack N Play, highchair, booster chair, toys, games and books. This program is geared to the 0-12 year old group to make sure the hosts provide entertainment for the ages it's serving. All children do not need a TV and WiFi to enjoy themselves there are other options. I wish more parents and AirBnB would realize this. I would bet a larger group than AirBnB thinks would like games for all ages based on how much all of mine are used constantly. Even the all adult groups break out the games a lot. I had 4 business guys in the yard throwing a football and frisbee around for a few hours each night for 5 days in a row. The swingset/playset, bean bag toss and horse pit/bocce ball area gets used a lot too, so it's not just board games I am talking about.