Children

Children

I have a question about children... my listing is not really suitable for young children. I have steep stairs and steps to all bedrroms; due to the age and restoration that has been made to our 1864 farmhouse. There seems to be only two catagories (1) infants ans (2) Not suitable for children (2-12 years)... I would like to reduces second choice to 8 and older (for example)... How can I do that?

13 Replies 13

I wish that was an option, too. I think I posted that in host voice a long time ago. The age of reason is 7, so there should be a range of 7 or older or 8 or older, etc. Since we can't differentiate, we just say not suitable for any children. Perhaps they will get to it one day.

Thanks... that is what I have changed my listing to, as well.

Another host, Izzie, mentions your comment and she suggested adding to House Rules "children eight & older considered"... I may try that and see what happens.

I appreciate you taking the time to rely,

George

well the thing is once you check not suitable for 12 and under, you wont come up in their search engines.  I checked 2 and under with a notation that beware for young children, see my earlier post that if  you come up in the search engines, then they will rent to kids.  Again, mine is a beach house and kids love the beach, but I can't do the small one who run and break things....

Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hi @George232!

Great question! 

I agree with @Todd-and-Reese0, you should submit a request in the Community Forum to add this feature.  In the meantime, although Airbnb does not currently have a feature to adjust the age limit, I would include a note in the description, and/or House Rules, that we do allow children ages 8 years and over.

The tricky part is what to categorize yourself in.  Guests who are completing a search with specific Amenities specified, such as “Family/Kid Friendly” listings, may not find, actually, they won’t find you. 

Show should you add it? 

Then again, if a host adds Family/Kid Friendly as an amenity, this implies that infants, children, and families are welcome in their listing.

Personally, I would mark it as an amenity, so I am not limited to the potential searches by guests/families with children 8+ and include these extra steps:

1. TURN OFF INSTANT BOOKING - I would want to verify with guests that their child is over the age of 8 before confirming the booking. I know this takes up extra time, but the safety of my asset (home) is more important than a few back and forth messages.

Here’s how to turn it off/on:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1510/how-do-i-turn-instant-book-on-or-off

1. EDIT YOUR LISTING – Adjust your listing so guests will clearly see your age requirements before even submitting an inquiry, remember not all guests read this, unfortunately, so you may want to add an Instant Message for inquiries verify guests’ ages.

Here’s how to edit your listing:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/473/how-do-i-edit-my-listing

1. CREATE A WELCOME MESSAGE – This message will be seen by guess BEFORE booking. Set up your message to include you biggest concern prior to booking, i.e. “Thank you for choosing our home. Please verify the number of children in your party and their age prior to confirming your reservation.  Thank you.”  Change it to your liking, but keep in mind you have limited characters allotted.  

Here’s how to edit your listing:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/473/how-do-i-edit-my-listing Go into “Listings” then “Guest Requirements.”  You will see “Your Welcome message before booking.”

1. PREPARE ACCORDINGLY – Finally, wether or not you decide to mark the “Family/Kid Friendly” Amenity for your listing, you should prepare. Better safe than sorry, right?

Here’s what you need to know:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1348/if-i-specify-that-my-listing-is-safe-or-suitable-for-childr...

Hope this is helpful!  Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Izzie.... many thanks for your suggestions & comments... very helpful, George

@George232 You are very welcome!  Happy to help!  I hope everything works out!

Izzie

You're the best... thanks for taking the time to reply!

all the best, George

I definitely do not have instant booking on and have been back to back for a year.  I am having a problem with people not being who they say they are and even when trying to talke them out of booking my place because of stairs, 90 yr old and 2 yr old, they are insistant, which is why this is the first time in this forum, going on season 2, with no winter break in South Carolina, US

Hi Izzie, and everyone.  I have a property that is not suitable for children at all.  Steep stairs, and fish pond.  My listing makes that clear.  What would I do if somebody just turned up with an unannounced child or infant?  Is it permissible to send them away?

Hi Izzie, and everyone.  I have a property that is not suitable for children at all.  Steep stairs, and fish pond.  My listing makes that clear.  What would I do if somebody just turned up with an unannounced child or infant?  Is it permissible to send them away?

@Alastair-and-Woolfy0  Yes, you can refuse entry to guests who arrive having ignored your house rules.

However, you can avoid this nasty situation by communicating with guests when they book or request to book, reiterating your major house rules and letting them know that showing up with more people than booked for, pets, or children (whatever your rules may be) will result in denial of entry to the property. Of course, you should try to state this professionally and politely.

.  @Sarah977 Thank you so much. I always communicate and did manage to avoid the situation by doing just that with one booking.  Which is why I wondered what I could do if they'd actually turned up. There is one coming up where I am just concerned that the third "adult" is not actually an adult.  I will drop them another tactful message.  It's getting closer to their visit now, so would be a good time to message them anyway

Susan-And-Mike0
Level 2
Folly Beach, SC

I have also had a problem with this wide age range.  We rent the upstairs of a beach house and we occupy the lower level.  I had renters that I tried to get them not to rent with their 2 and 5 yr old, told them stairs were high and there was no rough housing. because of breakables and antiques.  He assured me that his kids were quiet and that there would not be a problem at all.  Well for 4 nights, the kids were running back and forth and finally a very loud crash, where we had to go upstairs to make sure everything was ok, thankfully it was, but I immediately for our stress level had to click that no children under 12 are allowed.  I would like kids 7ish and up are allowed in our beach house, but such a wide range to put it at 12, who came up with that age range?