Christmas decorations

Answered!
Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Christmas decorations

Hello hosts - season's greetings, happy holidays!
Do you put Christmas decorations in your listing? I usually put some bright & sparkly baubles in a large bowl and use it a as centre-piece on the dining table & a smaller version in the living room. I think it's a nice touch for guests who celebrate the Season and the stuff is small enough for guests to put away (e.g., in a draw) if they don't like it.

What do you do?  Some decorations- a little, a lot?  None? Love to see pics so please share.

Wishing you all a safe, healthy and prosperous 2022!
1 Best Answer
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

just rebooting this topic because this is our 2nd xmas hosting and we have a family booked into the cottage. Last year we had a single man doing covid QT, what a different year it is!  I'm thinking at the least we will do a Xmas tree and probably a wreath on the door and xmas lights, but I don't really see fairy lights as "xmas" haha, we have quite a lot of fairy lights about the place. I also buy xmas tea towels (usually animal or botanical themed stuff to go with our styling, there's been a great shift in the past years to make Xmas decor more appropriate to our landscape so there's more things with native flowers and plants, and cockatoos and other animals etc) and I don't do anything religious, just festive.  

View Best Answer in original post

40 Replies 40
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

No decorations here, @Flavia202 . I never know what faiths or traditions my guests follow. 

Guests sometimes decorate for their social media posts. Current guest tagged our place in her Instagram story last night. Camera moves into the space and reveals the greyhound on the bed with battery-powered lights draped above. Cute. However, I just painted the walls, and I'm not looking forward to seeing how those lights were tacked up... 😕

Lol, @Lawrene0 .  

Happy end to the story, @Flavia202 . The walls are intact. The muddy paw prints on the bedding were easily removed. No host items were damaged for a Christmas Instagram post. 🙂

Great @Lawrene0 ! All's well that ends well. 😊👍

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We do. Small tree, some garlands.  Not anything crazy. We had someone make a few things for us as well. IMG_20211127_160232_750.jpgIMG_20211212_163858_225.jpg

Nice. Cozy. Warm. Less is more.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

We don't decorate the cabin -- it is rustic enough without a lot of fluff, and we never know if our guests want it or not.  We have a young couple coming this year, and the "demands" have begun.  Will there be a large, decorated tree? (No).  Are there lights decorating the deck and eaves? (No).  Do you have outdoor speakers for playing Christmas music? (No).  Is the neighborhood (15 acres of woods) decorated? (No).   Is the hot tub heated?  (???Yes, it's a "hot" tub???)

I did put a wreath on the porch wall, some christmas bows and electric flickering candles that look like birch logs in the living room and a large snowman wall hanging in the kitchen.  Should do....

Should do... 😄.  

outdoor speakers” - omg

apparently Santa with real deers 🤪

It looks like it’s needed to attach the house rules to the Christmas card.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Flavia202  We decorate the outside of the house w/lights and ornaments and the inside of the Airbnb with a few decorations.... red woven stars, a jar full of ornaments, red ribbons here and there & a few other holiday items.  In years where our own family came during December we have a tree, but not this year.

Sounds very welcoming, @Mark116 .

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Flavia202 

I have a Christmas tree in the hallway and a wreath on the front door. As I am a home host, I do display my Xmas cards on top of a dresser and I might also have some Xmas themed table decor (in moderation) right before Christmas.

I have never found any guests be offended by this, regardless of their faith or culture. Quite the opposite. Guests seem to love the tree in particular. It's something they expect when they come here to London even though the UK is actually a very secular society and not as Christian as some might think.

On the other hand, I've stopped going all out with cards, little gifts, crackers and decorations in the guest bedrooms. I used to leave these and even mince pies and little tipples, but I found that only about 2 out of 10 guests actually appreciated it. Overall, it was a bit of a waste of time.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

They don't know what they're missing with those mince pies @Huma0 . I grew up in London, myself and love 'em!.  I thought about putting up a tree in the apartment this year but decided against it, just in case. Glad to hear that your guests like yours.  Cheers!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Flavia202 

Well, I understand that not everyone loves mince pies. They, like Christmas Pudding, are a bit of an acquired taste. However, I was a bit disappointed at how few guests actually tried them. A lot of them threw them straight in the bin and never mentioned them 😞