Christmas gifts for guests

Christmas gifts for guests

I bought some Christmas gifts for my guests (a family with two kids). I told this to an other host and he said it is over the top and not done. However I thought it was a nice gesture for the kids if they come and stay to find a nice present. Wondering what your opinions are.

13 Replies 13
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi @Miriam164, many hosts give small gifts to guests who stay longer, lme a bottle of wine or chocolates or something local. I get a lot of gfts from guests as well. 

If you buy something for the kids and wrap it as a present, I would think that it is very nice, but not over the top, as lmg as it stays in a reasonable relation to the price of the stay. 

Tell us afterwards, if they liked it !

@Helga0 I just bought two little gifts for the kids, not over the top. I'll keep you updated.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

There are no set rules about what a host can give her guests, @Miriam164, no matter what the other host said. That covers everything from breakfast to a welcome basket to firewood. The cool thing is that he gets to do things his way, you get to do things your way, and I mine. He may be worried, like me, that a Christmas gift will make a guest uncomfortable, since it is often considered an exchange and they won't have anything for you. But gifts for the kiddies shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure they will always remember what they received from the nice lady in Israel at Christmas. 

@Lawrene0 it was just two little gifts for the kids, so I'm sure they won't get unconfortable about that.

They are sure to be delighted, @Miriam164. As @Helga0 asks, will you write again to tell us how it goes? 

I'll keep you updated. @Lawrene0

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Miriam164 I think it is nice to give a small gift to your Christmas guests .We also leave them a small gift like a box of chocolate or a panetone cake or something... it is not expensive but it shows that we care.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 that's exactly what I thought. Happy Christmas to you too!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Miriam164 We've purchased small food gifts for all guests staying from tomorrow through New Year's. I think it's a nice idea.

I agree with you @Alexandra316

Hi All, My guests where really happy with the small gift. I think really appriciated. It was not over the top, and I would advice other hosts to give a small gift on those special days as well. Thank you all for your advice. @Helga0 @Alexandra316 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Lawrene0

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Thanks @Miriam164 for letting us know how it went. It worked out well for us also: everyone seemed to enjoy their gifts. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Does anyone have any suggestions, in general terms, what are appropriate Gifts for Christmas for Guests?

My thoughts are a nice local hand made piece of useful ceramics would be suitable, or some local chocolates, book, or other handmade item.

Perhaps those of you who are offering Experiences could provide feedback what type of gift to provide Guests.