Chronological order of reviews

Cindy237
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

Chronological order of reviews

PLEASE AIRBNB put the reviews into chronological order.

it is extremely important that guests see the traffic moving through the listing.  If you have 10 international guests in a row, it shows up as if you had no booking for two months, because their reviews are pushed down to page 7, which is unsatisfactory visibility. 

Out of basic respect to the guest who wrote it, and the host who constantly tries to improve their listing, the most recent reviews HAVE to sit on the top of the pile!

thank you

43 Replies 43
Kagan1
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

Could not agree more. Most illogical thing. Discourages bookings too. Who at AIRBNB is making these decisions? I have hundreds of fantastic reviews only to have all our hard work ruined by one or two difficult guests who complained about things as small as the brand of toilet paper. AIRBNB chooses to display their negative, very outdated reviews first. It’s wrong.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kagan1 

I don't get your concern.

On the contrary it seems you should be grateful to the system that jumbles up reviews on the listing, but maintains it in chronological order on your Profile

This is the first review I see on your listing from January 2018

January 2018
We had a wonderful time in this beautiful villa, which is in all respects the photo no bad surprise the cigne is there! The villa is quiet, no noise! Kagan knew how to be available for us and to answer our requests, I recommend.

But on your Profile, in chronological order a negative review from this month. 

avril 2019
Water is not hot!!!! And the water pressure is so weak!!!!!!!! The swimming is a little bit dirty Toilet paper is quite bad quality Air conditioner is not strong. Location is not easy to reach for drivers (Hidden by Airbnb) map cannot show the accurate spot if u search the address that shown from airbnb So...... i suggest all of u get the polar coordination or captured some photos of the map after arrival. And then send that to drivers..... I guess it will help Asa (the driver) charged us

Kagan1
Level 2
Denpasar, Indonesia

Yes, that is a 1 out of 50 bad review. She was complaining about the toilet paper for crying out loud. Anyway she will get bumped down fast enough on my profile. I would prefer the reviews to be all in chronological order as some of the bad ones are displayed near the top and they are few and far between.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Here here, one of the most heart felt reviews I had is buried last because it's in Chinese but newer than stuff showing first. 

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

I have once again contacted Airbnb about reviews being out of order. They did phone me back which is great and the agent gave me the first rational explanation for why latest reviews don't show up first.

They explained that:

* Reviews are sorted on the listing page based in the following order:
1. Reviews in the guest/visitor’s preferred language come first.
2. Reviews from the guest/visitor's country come second.
3. All other reviews come last.
* Within each of those subgroups, reviews are sorted chronologically.

While this may make sense to a guest it doesn't make sense to hosts! My latest review showing at the top of my listing is from September 2018 because guests from other countries are showing on page 7 of 18 pages of reviews! They did suggest that if I went to Airbnb.com it would show them in the correct order but since I am in Canada, the computer automatically reverts to the Canadian site. We figured this out after I sent screen shots of what I am seeing and Airbnb are seeing the latest one as they are using .com

If Airbnb is able to manipulate the listing, why can't they just put the latest review first regardless of language and country of origin. Surely they reason for reviews is that a potential guest wants to see that you are still hosting and maintaining high standards.

Hmmm...good info, Rosemary. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

But if there was an autotranslate option, the the supposed problem would disappear. I don't agree with you that Airbnb's policy makes sense to a guest.

Nikki158
Level 2
Halfmoon Bay, Canada

YES! Cindy said it perfectly! I am currently frustrated with this issue as well. I see it's an older thread, so this problem is still ongoing. AirBnB hear us hosts, please! Most of my recent guests were all from the US or UK, so it looks like nobody's been here, when we've actually been quite busy! We need chronological order! Pronto!!!

Deborah489
Level 2
Ferring, United Kingdom

I completely agree with all the comments here. Please, just put reviews in the order of the bookings, most recent first. My last two reviews have been put onto the last page of my reviews ( amongst those dated 2018). Both reviews were written in perfect English. One of the reviewers actually lives in the UK but because she listed herself as living in America sometimes, the listing got bumped.  

When I'm looking to book I like to see that the place is busy and getting lots of recent good reviews.  The current system is very misleading and typical of AirBnB - they constantly tell us to be accurate and adjust prices, push the cancellation policy and offer discounts, but they don’t fulfill their end of the bargain by supporting us with cancellations properly, or helping to promote our listings by sensibly matching search criteria e.g if I search for a room in my village, on dates I know that I have availability, at least 4 pages of other properties will come up first - and they may be located as far as 100 miles away from my preferred filter.  Really.? Apart from being a web based advertising platform- what exactly are we getting for our money?

I feel like this issue of reviews out of order has been going on for too long! I just had a lovely review left and of course, it is buried 7 pages back and only my Canadian guests are immediately visible to potential guests!  Then I had a thought and looked at several guest's own reviews and guess what....guest reviews are in date order, not by country of origin. How can Airbnb explain that one? If they can do it for guests, they can do it for hosts.

Time for us all to send Airbnb another message saying that it is not good enough.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Rosemary12 I found out today that a recent review that was being discussed on the CC when I was looking for it on the App had dropped down to between 2016 and 2018. Yet on the website it's at the top.

Kerry-and-Rob0
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

So peeved about this......My listing now shows our first ever AirBnB review from a guest from India from almost 3 years ago as the FIRST REVIEW.  So all the talk about reviews being placed in order of County etc is not correct for my listing, I am in Australia and a review from 3 years ago from a Guest from India being first up.....go figure!  I have received some fantastic reviews and as time goes by they get better.  No one wants to read a review of a property from 3 years ago they want the latest.   My reviews have become more glowing as the years have gone by and I want my Guests to see the latest.  A review I received last week which was one I am extremely proud of, is now lost around page 4 of my reviews after I went hunting for it.  AIRBNB DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE!  

Bob40
Level 10
Montevarchi, Italy

At this point, one wonders what's the use of posting anything in this forum. In fact, what is the point of this forum?

Nick315
Level 2
Harrison, NJ

Need the reviews back in chronological order. Just because it's in a different language doesn't mean it's not relevant to me. In fact, if I'm staying in another country where that is the primary language it might even be MORE relevant to me. Airbnb provides a translation button and it's super simple to use. A review in another language in 2019 is more relevant to me than a review in 2016 just because it's in my language or from my country.