Should I get Cigarette / Marijuana Smoke Detectors ?

Lindsey-J-0
Level 2
High Point, NC

Should I get Cigarette / Marijuana Smoke Detectors ?

For hosts who have NO SMOKING as part of their house policy, do you have any type of Cigarette / Marijuana Smoke Detectors inside your home? If yes, what brand/type? I'm looking into this because I consistently say no smoking and yet have guests who do (thankfully not many guests, but still 1 is too many)

The longer back story if you'd like to read it.... Was renting to a group of folks recently who stayed in the main house and I was staying in the garage apartment with my husband (converted into an apartment for us to live on-premise while guests are there, separate entrance and living space from the main house). We started smelling something coming from the HVAC unit that is located inside the garage and when we put our nose right up to the HVAC system could clearly smell marijuana smoke coming through the machine which indicates that folks inside were smoking. We message them and said " I just wanted to check in to ensure your stay is going well. We got a notification from the alarm company that there is smoke currently in the house. Please be aware that there is no smoking allowed inside the house. If there's anything you need from us, please let us know." This is a partially true statement, our alarm company would notify us if there was a smoke/fire situation but cannot detect cigarette/marijuana smoke. The guest's response was an immediate response that said "yes ma'am" followed by another response 12 mins later saying "We were baking cookies". Ok while I have never smoked before I have DEFINITELY baked a lot of cookies before in my life and know that the smell of cookies is not strong enough to penetrate my HVAC system. Secondly, when the guest checked out one bedroom reeked of the same marijuana smell. Since I do not have any cameras inside my house, I have no way to "prove" that the guests were smoking inside the house. I am thankful that a day of open windows and replacing all the filters in my house/HVAC system took care of the smell - but seriously, I would really like smokers to be charged the "smoking fee" for smoking inside my house. Not to mention, in the state where I operate my AirBNB (North Carolina) marijuana is illegal on both a state level and the Federal level as well.

41 Replies 41

Dear @Lindsey-J-0 , @Thea284 , @Melodie-And-John0 , @Branka-and-Silvia0 , @Sarah977 , @Elaine701 , @Anna1459 @Tamara240, @Denvy-And-Latasha0, 

Concerning the cannabis & tobacco smoke detector only sold in 50 packs, if there are 50 AirBNB hosts willing to purchase, I’m game for getting them if they truly work. I have built in carbon monoxide & fire detectors for guest safety, so I might as well have a cannabis smoke detector for my family’s safety. 

Are there 50 hosts who are in?

It might pose a challenge doing it that way.

Firstly, we might all be in different countries.

Secondly, not many people seem to read this thread, so to find 50 people who are interested might be difficult.

Thirdly, I think they have to be fitted by the manufacturer, bit I might be wrong on that account.

They do work, hotels etc use them.

I think it would be better to put pressure on Airbnb to purchase the Airguards and sell them on to hosts that wants them.

Dear @Lindsey-J-0 , @Thea284 , @Melodie-And-John0 , @Branka-and-Silvia0 , @Sarah977 , @Elaine701 , @Anna1459 @Tamara240, @Denvy-And-Latasha0, 

So this is what each cannabis detector costs in a pack of $50

40BBA1BF-DC51-4C40-A459-24BF41B3DD23.png

I'm down to give it a try. I have 3 properties and this is a constant problem. Probably once a month per property. I'd need about 14 devices. 

The big question is if Airbnb will recognize this as evidence of smoking and we could charge against our clearly stated several times rules about smoking.

So am into understand there is a a monthly charge after we purchase?  That’s how they get you. 🙄

@JaLane0  Seemed pretty clear to me- it says you either lease it for $6/month or buy it outright for $360. Leasing seems like a better deal, as that would equal 5 years. Who knows if the thing might break in 4 and a half years (planned obsolesence and all) or if your even still running an str business 5 years down the road.

That's cute. You think Airbnb gives a crap about Hosts

I am in for this and have a neighbor who would go in.  I’m on the dc area. We could probably find 50 local here.  I have a small basement apartment and would like two of these. One for the bedroom and one for the kitchen. My neighbors might want two. Does anyone have info on cost for the pack of 50? 

Kate-and-Isaac0
Level 2
Carnation, WA

We just started our Airbnb and while the first guest was amazing, the second was horrible. We could smell marijuana through a very thick door that separates our space and guests space. I wanted to go over to ask them to leave but the only reason why I didn't do that is because they had kids with them. Imagine that.

I looked it up and found FreshAir. We would be more than happy to go in on this 50 unit deal for 2 units. Sounds like leasing is the better option. 

Wade88
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

We need a FreshAir unit! Would love to be a part of buying in bulk and splitting the price!

Question - why is Airbnb so far behind the curve in this? I would expect the company to be a part of the solution and be buying these in bulk. It's such a no brainer.

Wade88
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

I also did just receive this. Going to look into it more, but the pictures and explanations leave me with plenty of questions...

-----

Thank you for your inquiry. The Aretas Sentinel product detects cigarette/cannabis/cigar smoke, vaping and poor air quality conditions in your property. Yes, you can purchase one unit.

Our most popular solution is listed below. It can be ordered with or without sound/noise detection.

Please see pricing below:

Small quantity pricing is $299 USD/unit for a WiFi enabled cigarette smoke detection and environmental monitor with wall power adapter. Sensors included in this unit include: temperature, relative humidity, eCO2, particulate matter and volatile organic compounds (Sentinel Basic). There is also an add on for sound/noise detection with this monitor for an additional $20.

*Pricing includes a one year Cloud Software subscription for cloud software usage, alerts and long term data storage. After 1 year, the cost is $50/year or $5/month/device. Alternatively, you can pay $249 USD up-front for the monitor, and $5/month for the cloud software. 

Prices do not include shipping and taxes. 

Each device covers approximately 500-600 square feet.

When you are ready to order, the order can be placed through me and I will provide an Invoice that can be paid online.

Best regards,

Jessica Pothier

877-218-6232

I also found this. 

https://www.verkada.com/sensors/sv11/

Would love input.  

R--Derrick0
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

I’m so glad to read this post and would be interested in joining the group buy. 
I actually live in a loft space and have neighbors below who constantly smoke/vape and he Landlord has shirked all responsibility to enforce the no-smoking policy.

They’ve challenged all tenants to provide “proof” of the smoking violation as a way to avoid enforcement.

Cannabis is not legal for recreation in Philadephia so I definitely need a unit for the apartment and will be recommending them for the building if they want to enforce their smoke-free building policy.

Angela3005
Level 1
St George, UT

I also would join a group buy. I would need 6 of them.  

We are probably late to the party LOL @Angela3005  @R--Derrick0

I found this product called SENTRY the purchase amounts are not crazy, I hope the results of my hours and hours of research and reading all these threads will help you both (and the tenant too R--Derrick0 LOL)

Link from my research about the smoke/marijuana detector
Product page: https://hellowynd.com/pages/sentry?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=lagref&utm_campaign=sentry_preorde...
Bloomberg: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220714005703/en/Wynd-Technologies-Unveils-Innovative-Smoke-...