Circumstances where Airbnb should suspend or cancel the review process

Katie---Sean0
Level 10
Carlsbad, CA

Circumstances where Airbnb should suspend or cancel the review process

I've seen this issue in many different threads, and I wanted to try and pull it all together in one place. There are genuine circumstances where Airbnb should either suspend the review process, or cancel the ability to leave reviews entirely for both Host and Guest. I'm interested in other Hosts thoughts on such circumstances. Here's mine:

“Revenge Reviews” – such as when a host files a damages claim, the guest threatens a bad review, and the host has no choice but to close the claim and beg for a good review.

The review process should be suspended until the claim is resolved. Even better, the Host could be given the option to forgo the review process entirely, in which case the Guest would not be able to leave a review either. This just seems... fair!

The system now is awful. What's the point of having a "deposit" if I can't claim on it because a Guest can threaten to trash my reputation and get away with it? This happened to me for the first time recently. I was pretty shocked that the review process didn't stop once I filed the damages claim, at least until it was concluded, or even better, giving me the choice and power (POWER to a Host, imagine that!) to not review the Guest, and them not review me. 

Let's hear from other Hosts about other circumstances where Airbnb should suspend or cancel the review process.

8 Replies 8
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Katie---Sean0, that's a very good suggestion.  I had one guest who got caught bringing extra people and left a revenge review.  Airbnb was very good about it and buried the review all the way at the end.  But she should not have been allowed to post at all.

Your suggestion that once we decide not to leave a review, the guest's review shouldn't be posted, is also excellent.  

Others have suggested that outlier reviews be removed.  Or that at the end of the year, the top and bottom reviews be taken out.

The only thing I don't agree with is that we have no choice but to close a claim and beg for a good review.  We do have a choice.  I don't negotiate with bullies.  I just say, "Go ahead.  Make my day."  I've never had to make a major claim, though, only claims under $100.  And other guests who have brought more people than they had booked for have been nice about paying the extra.  Luckily!

Airbnb has made some modest adjustments in an attempt to "Make reviews more fair for hosts" (Airbnb Updates blog):  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Making-reviews-more-fair-for-hosts/bc-p/972257#M9...

BTW, has the guest reviewed you yet, or just threatened to leave a bad review?

@Ann72 — I didn't respond until now because the review situation with this particular guest was still underway. 

My situation was — a guest threatened an "honest review" because I opened a damages claim. Using the word "honest" was clever, because it means his threat does not technically viotate Airbnb's "Extortion Policy". 

He went ahead and left a review, which of course I couldn't see until I left mine. Airbnb support wouldn't tell me what the review said, but a rep did was kind enough to tell me it was "long" so I knew it likely wasn't good.

I asked the guest if I closed the damages claim would he remove the review, and he said yes. So I closed the claim.

Then he went ahead and left his review anyway.

The review read well and sounded nice on the surface. However he gave us poor star ratings, which stopped us from being a SuperHost for another 3 months, or probably longer given that we do long-stays and don't get reviewed often. I was just about to qualify for SuperHost status on 1st April, but he put a stop to that.

I remained friendly and polite, and asked him to remove his review completely. I also mentioned that a taxes refund check had arrived at our house for him, and where would he like it sending lol. Long story short, he removed the review so we're back to 5-stars across the board.

It's been a tough process. I had to be patient throughout... when I really wanted to say... why are you being such a **** [insert word of choice] after we were such awesome hosts to you?

Joy209
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

I am here today looking for others opinions or advice on topic of reviews.  While I did not open a claim, I recently encountered my first guest who completely ignored the house rules, including 'no partying'. Alerted by neighbors at 11 pm, the front living room window was noticably lined with beer bottles.  Going to check we found the guest on the back deck hacking up from over indulging, the smoking equipment at his feet.  The door wide open, I entered to see a shocking mess.  Still cold weather, windows wide opened and heat turned high as it goes. Rule is also 'no smoking' but included amoung the beer bottles sat their vaping equipment.  ( I felt near sick myself to see such disrepect .. furniture moved, food across the living room, entire coffee table covered upset can ...)  Instantly I had a strong urge to insist they immediately leave but  instead I attempted to bring the situation back to some thing reasonable.  Under the influence, he was verbally combative insisting he had rented this place and I had no right to enter the property and he could do as he liked until check out time.  And threatened calling AirBnB, to which I agreed.  I think the girlfriend then began to realize the situation was more serious and maybe she should find a way to comply with some reason.  She made a few verbal promises and that is the only reason I let them stay.  She would take the beer bottles out of the window, clean up their mess and be ready to leave at 10am (an hour earlier than normal check-out)   I greet all my guests and not unusal to collect the key when they leave.  Both looking like they had been at an all night party, he was not happy leaving and her only comment was, they didn't want any trouble.  (although they didn't mind creating it for the host)  They did take their mess of food wrappers, bottles, cans but didn't manage to clean the food from the floor and walls.  

I have not been a long time host but I am pleased to say before this I had not encounter such a negative experience.  Most of my guests if not mature, at least have been respectful in attitude and care of the home. 

That brings me to How to Write the Review.   Thinking about it, she said they rent an AirBnB nearly every weekend.  Reading their 9 reviews, 1 host reviewed them 7 times happy with their repeat business and the other 2 reviews were hospitable with nothing alerting.  

However, my experience was quite different.  While I have no problem in writing a Fair assessment.  I also feel some responsibilty to allow other hosts to know.  But wonder,  what does the effort bring .. I am fully aware the guest was not happy to be called out on breaking the house rules, so then his Ratings bring down my Star Rating.  Or I can review but will he even review and if not then really want is the point to a host attempting to warn other hosts?  If he's been renting numberous AirBnB prehaps others have had the same issues and he just doesn't bother to rate them after he's used the home as he pleases.  Is that possible?

So while I mull over my decision to write a review or let it pass .. I am curious on what other hosts have to say.

Thank You .. 

@Joy209  — sounds like a really stressful guest, sorry that happened to you. From a host perspective it does feel like the reviews system is weighted heavily in favor of the Guest, making it impossible to warn other Hosts about bad Guests without risking a damaging revenge review in return.

I wish Airbnb would add the capability for Hosts to at least add private comments that are only visible by other hosts. Then we hosts can warn other hosts, but not receive damaging payback for it.

Has the guest left you a review yet? If they have, you should have received notification, but you can't see it yet until you leave yours. (Apologies if you already know this, I didn't know how reviews worked at first and it caught me out).

@Joy0 I’d write honestly what bugged you about this guest. No need to go into every detail of what transpired but just mention the breaking of rules. Some here in the discussion forums include the star ratings in their written reviews so you could do that, just include the 3 performance markers and stars. 

If they leave a bad review you can always respond to it thanking them for the review and saying that you’re sorry that they weren’t happy with their stay but the house rules are there for a reason and they broke them so unfortunately you had to call them out on that. Not to mention that they caused a disturbance in the neighbourhood and potentially causing serious problems for you.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Katie + Sean, that's a very good suggestion.

No reviews when host submits a valid damage claim.

No reviews when the guest breaks house rules.

No rating/reviews in case of a no-show or the cancelation at the day of check-in.

The worst rating/review should be removed

Hosts shouldn't be afraid of retaliation reviews.

Kyla11
Level 2
Scotland, United Kingdom

No reviews when the guest cancels. I've had 3 low star reviews now which Airbnb wouldn't remove despite all of those guests not actually staying in my home. It's ridiculous a guest is allowed to review 'based on their experience' when their only experience of your hosting is that they cancelled and you stuck to your strict cancellation policy! 

@Kyla11 – I didn't realize a that a Guest can still leave a review when THEY cancel, that seems grossly unfair. I'm fairly new to Airbnb (6 months offering long-stays) and still learning the ropes on the complex review process which — the more I find out — seems heavily weighted in favor of the Guest.