City forcing mandatory in-person check ins

Jonathan315
Level 1
Burbank, CA

City forcing mandatory in-person check ins

Hello,

Been hosting for a couple years now. Late last year, we purchased a place in a small mountain resort town in California (a couple hours away from us). The first year was busy through the ski season, and everything went well overall.  But just recently, the city has put new ordinances in place that say Airbnb'ers in the city must use an in-person check in.  We have always used a lockbox and been in good communication with incoming renters.

Is this a common thing? Do other cities do this? I'm frustrated about it. Seems to add an extra step that renters (at least the majority of them) won't appreciate, since it takes more coordination, and cell service is spotty to say the least coming up the mountain. Obviously, it also adds more to-dos for our housekeepers (or whoever we get to meet guests to check them in). I'm assuming the management companies in town have a great deal to do with this getting put into place. I get that Airbnb and companies like it are taking $$ out of their pocket, but the truth is they do a poor job and take a huge percentage off the top -- 30-40%, which is why so many more people are managing themselves.

Anyway, I'm probably just venting, but wanted to throw this out there. Has anyone else dealt with this? Just seems odd to me for a city to enforce this, especially when our rental is a privately owned home and they already take an 11% tax from our rental, which we have always paid on time.  Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

Jon

21 Replies 21
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

So this is a Big Bear thing? Hope they don't bring this ordinance to Los Angeles. 99% of the time my guests check in without me meeting them when they arrive.

Why would the city care if guests are checking in with a lockbox?

Kristin950
Level 1
Big Bear Lake, CA

The reason this is happening is because too many tourists are inviting too many friends, booking for the agreed upon guest number and then throwing late-night parties causing mass disruptions to the locals. It has put a major strain on the police force, and they simply do not have the numbers to accommodate so many house calls. It is not the sheriff department's job to micro manage rental agreements to keep the guests and their friends in check for every rented house especially when you got 100k people up here renting on the weekends.

I don't agree with it and I don't know how enforceable it is - but that is the reason for it.

Kris K

Hello, We too are having to go through the hoops of finding someone to be our 24 hr emergency contact and  check in agent. We recently bought a place in Big Bear Lake and this has definitely been a hassle. Any advise or references would be fabulous! Thank you! @Jonathan315 @Didi400 @Nancy353 

Bill1082
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Hello all! have any of you read the new proposed vacation rental ordinance that came out today? It seems to make things even harder on us.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Jonathan315 @Bill1082 @Stephanie-and-Robb0 @Kristin950 @Pete69 

Just a note on all of this as a lot of great points were made.

This whole vacation rental thing, which is hitting higher and higher velocities in many communities, is still in its relative infancy.  Regulators are sticking their noses into the innerworkings like a game of whack-a-mole (to, say, reduce parties stretching the police force) and other "housing advocates" trying to stand up for ski lift workers and maids. The free market is taking too long for these sorts of people (and for us at times too!). 

However, we all just need to settle down and be patient.  Obviously, no owner wants parties to be held at their house.  Just like a conventional landlord doesn't.  In time, bad apples will be rooted out (getting their accounts bounced, getting their deposits withheld, etc.).  And those parties will decrease.  Eventually wages will rise BIG TIME for maids and ski lift workers.  They have to: we're all making a fortune with our vacation rentals.  At my listings, we pay our cleaning crews/handy people fantastic compensation.  The initial build?  It’s unimaginable how much I paid my GC, his subs, materials, etc. to make my listings what they are.  All that went to those deserved hard workers.  Maintenance?  Just now, I paid my plumbing helper $400 just to adjust my hose!  However, they do great work and they make ends meet as they have to.  If the day comes where that compensation is not enough for our workers, they will tell us, we will increase our prices to our guests, and we will increase our worker's wages.  Everyone wants this whole thing to be perfect TODAY.  But it's just not going to be like that.  

All of this has happened in other industries before, it's happening here now, and we're all whining about it to each other (which feels good, I agree!).  Policy makers are really doing their best (and failing miserably, but they’re trying).  We all just need to keep calm and carry on.  Build awesome listings, attract guests willing to pay massive rates for our effort, and compensate our people well.  The housing stock for low-income renters will recover, parties will diminish, the local economies will thrive with more tourists, and all will be well.  

Jarrett17
Level 1
Alpine, CA

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a cabin in big bear/Sugerloaf /moon ridge area. I’m in search of a cohost and cleaning services. If anyone has any recommendations or is interested please contact me. Thank you! 

@Jarrett17 - Happy to help. We have a cabin in Green Valley Lake, which is between Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. We've taken on a higher price, design-focused, minimum stay approach to limit our risk towards parties. I also work as a real estate agent in the area. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Best,

Tommy