City of Calgary wants me to apply for lodging license

Tai26
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

City of Calgary wants me to apply for lodging license

So the city of Calgary received a 311 complaint that the home was being rented  daily and weekend renters (I know the reason my neighbors called the city because my tenants sometimes parked in front of their house (public street), and I does remind my tenants to park in garage or front of our houses only but they are not always available because it is public street).  The City of Calgary inspector told me that The City of Calgary Business Licence bylaw states that a license is required if I am providing sleeping or lodging accommodation to four or more people. That may include room by room or the whole home. Is it true? I don't live there so is that still considered lodging house? Applying for a lodging house requires zoning and plan development which is quite expensive to do 

Has anyone dealt with this before and what should I do?

Thank you

2 Replies 2
Carly81
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

I suggest keeping the AirB&B guests less than 4 and host a WWOOFer and plant a gardened that the WWOOFer and YYC Growers can help you with. WWOOFers stay for free but help you out, you just need to provide food and a room. YYC Growers you can sign up to 'Donate' your yard and they will come work in your back yard (or front or both if you like) growing organic food to sell and you would keep a bunch of it too so your guests would probably really like that.

Ramzan2
Level 1
Coquitlam, Canada

Anyone has any knowledge about the licensing requirements in Coquitlam