Claim insurance of public area, who is responsible of my guests?

Alexandra1141
Level 1
Izola, Slovenia

Claim insurance of public area, who is responsible of my guests?

I rent out 3 different rooms, and just outside of them there's a public area where I've put a common fridge, microwave, coffee machine etc. An accident has happened without anyone mentioning it to me, and there's now coffee stains on the wall that cannot be removed properly. If all three deny, how will I go further by getting reimbursed for the damage, since I cannot hold anyone specific responsible, but all three? Appreciate help! Thanks 🙂

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alexandra1141  There's no way you can hold anyone responsible, since 3 guests are using the area. Coffee stains on the wall don't sound like a big deal to me, they sound like normal wear and tear. You have to expect that things won't be kept in pristine condition when you do short term rentals. 

I'd suggest you add an easily cleaned surface to the wall near the coffee station. Or repaint the wall with a high gloss, oil-based paint which can also be easily cleaned.

I'd also suggest you add a photo of that kitchenette area to your photo gallery. That's of more interest to prospective guests than all the outdoor shots. If I were looking at your listing, I'd assume that there was no place to prepare any food or coffee, even if it's mentioned in the written info. Be aware that many guests don't bother to read through all your listing information, they just look at the price and the photos.

@Alexandra1141  I agree 100% with @Sarah977 's wise advice. 

I'll only add that from a hospitality perspective, it's best not to make your guests feel penalized for accidents that occur during normal, permissible use of your amenities. If you provide a coffee area, coffee is eventually going to get spilled there. If you provide delicate glasses, they'll eventually get broken. Hosting will make you an expert in stain removal, as that's a normal part of the job. But as a new host it's especially vital that you earn great reviews and 5-star ratings, and you can't accomplish that by demanding reimbursement for petty things. Damage claims should be reserved for the exceptional circumstances when the value is high enough to be worth the risk of a damaging review, and generally only when it was caused by improper use of your facilities.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Alexandra1141   Try the Mr. Clean magic eraser, I've found  that they do get stains out that regular sponge+cleaner did not remove.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark116  I was tempted to suggest that, too, but I doubt they're available in Slovenia 🙂  They aren't available here in Mexico- I had a guest bring me a box of them from the States, when she asked if there was anything she could bring me from up north.