Claiming on security deposits for additional cleaning

Tasha1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Claiming on security deposits for additional cleaning

Hi,  we rent our home for groups of up to 10 guests.  We've just had a group leave that left an awful mess.  A couple of things were damaged, but no major breakages.  Our house rules clearly state that the house is to be left in the state you find it.  However, when I arrived home today to clean nothing had been cleaned or tidied away.  There was half eaten cooked food everywhere, bins were over flowing so the corner of the kitchen had been used to dump packaging and food (I leave extra bin bags for guests so i would have been easy to change)...the dining table had been taken out onto the patio and left there...glasses and bottles left out on the coffee table...it took me agaes to clean (so lucky we did not have guest booked in for the aftnoon as there is no way I could have had the house ready).  I charge a £50 cleaning fee, but this covers only the laundry...is it possible to draw on the security deposit for additional cleaning (as well as the breakages)  or is it just something I have to learn to accept.  I clean other holiday lets for other people, rented through different companies and I have never seen anything like it!!!  Thanks.

6 Replies 6
Ana5
Level 3
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Hey, Tasha!

Sorry to hear that. I have been through something similar but i didnt request the security deposit. It would be more stressful and I would not be able to let it go in the meantime. Best tip I have is: charge enough to cover a professional cleaner. By doing that you assure you will always have the possiblity of calling for help in case you need. 
I doubt you could guet the security deposit because of tht, perhabs if you took pictures to prove professinal help was indeed necessary and proof you have paid for it.

Tasha1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Ana, Thanks for your comment.  I did think about putting my cleaning fee up...but thought it would put people off booking.  Other companies have an additional fee for excessive amounts of cleaning and I wondered how this would be possible as the security deposit seems to be for damage (that said there is a terrific stain in my corrian worktop that won't shift 😕 )  I am a professional cleaner myself, as I do this for other holiday companies...guess I could invoice myself for the extra hours!!  It's very sad that some guests think it is okay to abuse the trust within the hosting community...I get worried about turning away bookings as it affects your rating...but I'm now wary of younger student groups and that spoils it for genuinely lovely, respectful younger travellers.

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

My suggestion also is to raise the cleaning fee. Although, the higher the cleaning fee the guest pays, the less will he clean after himself.  

Kerry15
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

We've just had a similar experience of a large group of students leaving our house in a very dirty state and not telling us about some breakages despite us being very clear that we need to know about any problems.  We didnt claim on the security deposit (too much hassle) but instead have taken the decision not to rent again to large groups of 'under 25s' and I've put that in our listing.  It's a shame that one bad experience can spoil it for others but I'd rather risk a bad rating for turning people down than having our house treated with no respect.

Marie-And-Neil0
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

I had the same thing. guests left the apartment dirty, bins not emptied, food on the floor, pan not clean, dishes and cups put away still dirty. and urine on the duvet! I asked the guest for more money to cover extra cleaning. its quite simple to do. If they refuse you give them a bad review. He paid it. worth a try. good luck.

You should give them a bad review anyway - would you want to be warned about this sort of guest @MarieAndNeil ?