Clarification of a head count maximum

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Clarification of a head count maximum

I had a guest today insist that only those over 2 count towards the Airbnb's 16 person headcount max. I read Airbnb rules and they just keep repeating 16 people, no mentioning of age. I know airbnb allows infants stay for free and book over the capacity with them. I wonder if this applies to the party ban headcount. I am not going to host this group regardless but was curious.

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  Seems to me that 16 human bodies is 16, regardless of their age. Fire regulations and such which state maximum occupancy are certainly based on that.

And of course it isn't up to guests to interpret the rules to their liking.

I say each person counts in the headcount. It's in my listing. Babies count as part of the headcount.  Here's what burns me - I have 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. It's clear. I had a couple book for 5. Then realized it wasn't 5 it was 6 (My maximum is 5). It was going to be a couple, their two children, a nanny and a baby.  That's six. I do charge for extra people over 4 and wouldn't charge for a baby. But good grief, Airbnb is attracting some guests who have an entitlement issues.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Inna22 

When booking, it looks like infants do not count as heads. It maxes out at 16 adults (and/or children) but the infant count can be added to. There is even a nice little discloser that says "16 guests maximum. Infants don't count towards the number of guests."  Crazy.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.30.49 PM.png

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 Youve always been allowed to both count and charge for infants. You just need to specify it in rules. And then deal with the arguing from guests who don’t read. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Party and Events Policy

Note: As of August 20, 2020, Airbnb announced a global ban on all parties and events at Airbnb listings, including a cap on occupancy at 16. This party ban applies to all future bookings on Airbnb, and it will remain in effect indefinitely, until further notice.

It sounds like this means 16 plus infants?

@Inna22  Two adults and 16 infants sure sounds like a party to me :-).

Actually most if these house thrashing party guests should be classified as infants- the kind of infants who get charged double.