Classic review from guest

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Classic review from guest

I know we have chewed this subject to mush, but it amuses me every time. A guest left an overall five star review that said: Great location!! Five stars in all categories and 4 stars... for location!

25 Replies 25

@Robin4 I might just use that with my guess! To somebody who keeps complaining, I will ask them to look at what was right with her stay rather than what was wrong with it

Megan378
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

This is so true. Older guests have different expectations. Today, for example, an older woman said she'd imagined a cottage in a big garden, and was disappointed we weren't close to a tourist landmark that's miles away. also not near enough to the shops. However, 1, no garden is mentioned or photographed on the listing; 2, she hasn't paid for a garden; 3, there are close by shops, a ten minute walk away, as it says in the listing... Honestly, it drives me bats.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22  Didn't you know? 50 is the new 40 so "4" is the new "5"! LOL!

Hahaha @Suzanne302, but by your logic,  5 should be the new 4! Where's the generosity of spirit for goodness sake? Honestly, NONE of my guests is perfect (how can anyone be?), but 99% of them get 5 stars for everything. People just love to not be 100% happy with stuff.

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

I think poor ratings relate to the power of bad!

I am a new host and have all five-star ratings to date and wonderful comments. That is great but the one that I remember vividly is the ratings that were less than five stars for location and value.

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Inna22 , seems that people will never stop surprising with their attitude. 
I also got several 4 stars already this year. Location-value from new girls, that were permited late check out.

But the best was 4 for check in. This man was so absentminded that have passed controles for departure just after he arrived. Great control in the airport:) When he arrived to my home he disturbed my neighbors, ringing their door, so they opened it for him. And I get 4 for check in😆😆😆😆 

@Yulianna0  The star rating page on the guest review form should read:

Accuracy- this refers to how well the host described the listing in their ad. It does not refer to the fact that you didn't bother to read any of it before you booked or arrived. 

Cleanliness- this refers to whether you found the listing to be clean when you arrived. It does not refer to how messy or dirty it became while you were staying there or that the host didn't clean up after you, nor that a space which was off-limits to guests looked cluttered when you snooped.

Check-in- this refers to whether the host sent you clear information as to how to access the unit and at what times they would be available to check you in. It does not refer to any difficulties encountered because you failed to read the check-in information, didn't answer your host's request for your ETA, or that you thought it would be okay to sightsee and go for dinner, arriving 3 hours later than you said you would.

@Sarah977, that will be great! Those who can not read will just close the page with so many letters:) I prefer not to be reviewed than to get stupid evaluation:) 

@Sarah977 SOOOO true!  LOLOL.

- Especially the lazy, thoughtless check-ins who arrive early/late at our remote location
- The ones who fail to grasp the meaning of "OFF THE GRID" and complain bitterly when the solar power quits at 10pm because they used all the lights/plugs and fridge was turned to freezing level. Battery-operated lights are supplied of course.
- Use every possible dish and utensil without washing them, and complain about insufficient supplies. There's four or more of everything, place sleeps four.

We had an older foursome for only one night this past weekend who must have kept each other awake all night with their "tsk, tsk, tsking..." about nothing.  There are infinite views of ocean, lagoon, forests, mountains, valleys,  unique wood-fired hot tub, huge patio, dream-away comfy chaises to read and relax, walks through our private nature reserve ... even a stunning full moon.
Not.One.Thing.To.Enjoy.

Not even the complimentary bottle of wine and other goodies.
Left a really crappy note in our guest book (which is filled to the brim with gushing love notes) and no doubt an equally crappy online review will follow. 

However, we have 97% really fabulous guests so those who are under par really hurt.  

-

@Layna0  I think it's just a truism about basic human nature that some people can manage to have a good time even when there are legitimate adversities. They see the positives wherever they go, the good in others, and even can laugh when things go sideways. Then there's the people who seem determined to find reasons not to enjoy themselves and take note of every little thing that they don't consider perfect. I feel sorry for the latter- life must be a constant disappointment.

Sometimes I see review like that in playmarket, app is good but 3 stars... so can't understand what means that? download or not? But 4 stars is ok anyway.