Cleaning Fees Including in Price on Search Results

Linda100
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Cleaning Fees Including in Price on Search Results

Has anyone else noticed that on the mobile version search results our listings show our basic nightly rate as expected but on the desktop version it's showing the basic nightly rate PLUS the cleaning fee?   So in my case, the nightly rate is $128.  I charge a $32 cleaning fee (no matter how many days people stay) but on the desktop search results my listing show as $160 per night (on the map and on the thumbnail) until you drill into it to see the breakdown.  This is misleading since the cleaning fee is one time, per stay, not per night.  It makes our listings appear more expensive per night than what they actually are which is most likely causing people to not even click on our listings (if you have a separate cleaning fee which is being automatically bundled on top of your nightly rate) on the desktop version, thus everyone loses.  Can this be fixed?  Maybe they are running tests in different markets.  I find this scenario on the San Diego listings and the regular results on listings I know in Long Beach.  smh

23 Replies 23

Here is with NO dates selected - everyone base rates displayed. 

no dates.jpeg

With WEEKEND dates selected - in case owners have different weekend rates.  Reservation dates were Friday till Monday.

weekend dates selected.jpeg

With weekDAYs selected.

weekDAY dates.jpeg

Teresa31
Level 9
Montana, United States

@Willow3 I agree wholeheartedly. I travel quite a bit on Airbnb and like to know the whole picture, rolling all the costs into one is helpful, but I've been in the same boat as Christina328 above. One way I've gotten around that is to lower my nightly rate extremely during the "off" months,  keeping my cleaning fee the same. I've found it has drummed up reservations a bit. 

Wendy149
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

I just discovered that my listed price when searching depends on how many nights are booked because they have added in the one time cleaning fee.  On the app. the nightly rate shows the correct amount.  So, if someone is searching for a listing at a certain price range, my listing may not show up because Airbnb has already added in what my cleaning fee divided by those nights would be.  I list at $78.00 a night with an added cleaning fee per booking.  You can stay two nights or 10 nights.  Cleaning is the same.   As a person searching for a place, I wouldn't know that fee was added in the, let's say $103.00 I see when searching.  Airbnb doesn't show that the price listed (before clicking on the listing) inlcudes the cleaning fee.  They show in print that I'm a super host and have free cancellation (which in reality I don't have unless it's cancelled 14 days in advance), but not that the rate shown includes the cleaning fee.  They need to list this, as I feel I'm loosing out on bookings because someone may be searching on a lower nightly rate.   So, any of us who charge a cleaning fee, our listing when searching is going to show a different rate until you click on that specific listing.  If I saw $103. 00 for two nights, I may not look at that listing because I wanted to spend less.  I know in the long run I will be spending $103 a night, but I'd prefer figuring that out once I got into the listing.  At least then I could say it was worth or not worth the extra because the place is so great.  It really concerns me.  Also, they need to fix the difference between what a browser shows and what the app shows.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Wendy149 Actually the price shown in search results with dates and number of guest has been including the cleaning fee and, if applicable, the extra guest fee. Airbnb has been doing this for over a year now.  This shows the guest the real cost per night.  I think it is a good thing because this way guests are not surprised when the see the cost on the check out page.  

So if I put a price range up to $100, that is the total I want to pay and it should incude the cleaning fee and extra guest fees, if the host has them. 

They appear to have now removed the cleaning fee from the searched price atleast from what I am seeing on the web (not in the app) and are now showing it next to each listing.

So if you had no or low cleaning fee you might find you get no bookings since your base price will now seem much higher than competition 😞

Seems completely broken to me. Now I have to create a cleaning fee to lower my nightly price to get bookings.

Lei1308
Level 2
San Jose, CA

When I started hosting in north Lake Tahoe area 3 months ago, I was pretty sure that the nightly rate being displayed doesn't include the cleaning fee. Until very recently, I was always checking my listing as an anonymous user to get a feeling what my guests are seeing. Then I noticed my bookings suddenly stopped and I thought it might be that the ski season is about to be over. However, when I checked again the nightly price, the cleaning fee was included to my surprise! That would certainly deter some potential guests. I can understand the motivation of airbnb, but I hope they could be transparent to host about the change. Unfortunately I have a big house so I cannot just absorb the cleaning fee unless I rent it for a loss.

Also does airbnb displays nightly rate differently based on the regions? I noticed this thread started at least 3 years ago. Buyt why cleaning fee was not included in the nightly price in north Lake Tahoe region a few weeks ago? This is maddening!

The solution is to go to:

https://www.airbnb.com.au

instead of the normal:

https://www.airbnb.com

Apparently in Australia, you have to display the full price including the infamous cleaning fees.

PS.. You need to change your currency to US dollars at the bottom of the initial web page.