Cleaning Lady responsibilities?

Cleaning Lady responsibilities?

Hey everyone,

This is my 2nd year in hosting, when it comes to cleaning ladies what are your expectations for them? 

Very basic - wash/change sheets, bathrooms, wipe counters, do floors or is it more in depth as to clean kitchen cabinets, oven, dust ceiling fans, baseboards and so on? I do not expect these will be done on weekly basis but once every couple months, especialy in the off season when guests are not checking in back to back I expect these things to get completed. Am I asking for too much? This weekend has been a second time that I stayed at one of my homes without telling my cleaning lady that it will be booked by us and I found gross and disgusting oven, freezer, dirty kitchen cabinets and now I am debating do I ask her again and again to so a better job ( this also happened many time in our other home), look for someone else or am I asking for too much? She does ok job with basic cleaning, but it stoppes there.. window sills will have dust and dead bugs behind  curtains, light furniture is never moved to vacuum or mop under, please help me out with your experiences 🙂 

3bed/2bath - 100$

4bed/3bath-150$ 

renters take out their garbage, undress beds, clean dishes before leaving. 

THANKS! 

6 Replies 6
Evelyn86
Level 3
New York, NY

Sorry to hear that Goda. Even though it takes a lot of time to clean 3 or 4 bedroom spaces, there is no excuse for a dirty oven! My studio is in New York. It rents out 2 or 3 months at a time so naturally it is deep cleaned every time. It takes 2 people 6 hours to do. Windows, fans, even the light bulbs. Time management is key.! Dishes in dishwasher and oven on self clean, sheets, comforters, that can take hours. ***I leave a checklist of what has to be done***. That way they know what's expected. You may have to pay more for the extra time.  Definitely take pictures to show her. She might need a helper if its too time consuming. Bottle line: the checklist is for her to check what needs to be done, and manage her time accordingly. But dont be surprised if she doesnt do windows, clean refrigerators or ovens.  Experienced that once. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Someone you are paying to clean needs to do just that, clean. Everything. All surfaces wiped down, including window sills, fridge and oven, kitchen cabinets, light furniture moved and vacuumed under, etc. I'd be upset if I booked a place that had a filthy oven, and dust and dead bugs on the windowsills.

Now of course, you have to make sure that she is given enough time to do all this. If there is only a 2 hour window to clean between guests, or if that is all the time you are paying her for, then obviously she wouldn't be able to get to everything in a 3 bedroom place.

It takes me and hour and a half to THOROUGHLY clean the small bedroom and bathroom my guests use. Which I do between every booking. (I have a cleaner who does my whole house once every 2 weeks, but her day doesn't often co-ordinate with my guest change-over)  I don't wash the windows every time, but I do everything else, starting with vacuuming from the ceiling down. @Evelyn86's time frame of 12 work hours for a thorough deep cleaning of her studio sounds about right to me. Not that you have to do a total deep clean between each party of guests, but one or 2 deep cleaning things each time, in addition to the normal stuff, should keep it decent.

So, to be fair, make sure you are giving the cleaner enough time to do what you expect to be done, and if she's still leaving things dirty, find someone else who actually wants to do the job they are being paid for.

Aurora52
Level 4
Miami, FL

Goda ,I will look for another cleaning person.This is unacceptable.I clean my rental by my self .My place is spotless.After every guests I turn my place around and clean from the floor to the sealing.If you don’t have the time,hire somebody else.Youre guests are the priority and deserve a clean place

Is just me 😀

Like Sarah said,you have to give enough time to clean.I have a 2 bedroom,1 bath and it takes me 4 h ore more so the place looks spotless 

I do not have a lot of back to back check ins,  so she does have a lot of time for cleaning. Also I dont expect baseboards, fans, behind furniture to get cleaned each time but maintained. This is not the first time I have to point out things to her ao I think I will keep my search open and see if there is someone else that wiuls be more on the same page with me. 

Hello I'm a cleaner and I would love to have your job except for I would charge a fair amount more and I would want a partner I think a job that big needs to have at least two people working on it and or did you get everything done in that timely fashion between 11 and 3 and it's what she's got to be in paid nearly enough if she's doing it. Especially if she's doing all by herself in that short window of time I would insist on at least two people working on each unit one person cannot do it in that short amount of time she's probably doing her best but to ensure that it gets done properly I would demand to people working on it two heads are always better than one just my opinion thank you and have a great day