Cleaning an apartment is not like cleaning your own home, it's MUCH more detailed

Answered!
David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Cleaning an apartment is not like cleaning your own home, it's MUCH more detailed

Apologies, I copied this from another reply to a message & I thought HOW TRUE!

We do all the cleaning at our places and they are so much cleaner than our home!

Anyone else agree?

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@David3267We clean the same way, but the details are definitely different! I sure as anything don't spend a single moment in my own home checking glassware and flatware for smudges, nor would it have ever occurred to me to do so until I began hosting.

Like you, my home gets a bit neglected when there are lots of turnovers happening. I figure the only person judging me on my home's cleanliness is my mother, though. My secret is safe with her 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@David3267 it depends on the person that cleans it 🙂 We clean the same way both at home and in the apartments, but in the apartments guests come and go every 2 days and the cleaning is much more regular so it might appear cleaner. But when it comes to details it is the same, I just clean in detail every week at home and not every other day. And although I deep clean once a week it is so much cleaner than when I enter an apartment that has had guests for 2 days. I don't understand how they manage to get a place so dirty in such short amount of time. 

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

so far (very tidy...some even hoover before they leave!fingers crossed) we've been lucky, most of our guests have been very tidy, some even hoover before they leave!

@Ana1136, once I had a couple that arrived at 2.30 am and left at 7 am. And they left the room so dirty that I was really surprised 😆😆😆. Sorry for them, but I had to mention such talent in my review. 

@David3267, I think that the cleaning of separate place is different than the shared place. I do not make any difference in between my space and the room of the guests. First of all I want to live in clean environment and I’m happy to share it with others. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David3267

During the peak season, I am so tired of cleaning for guests that I often neglect my own space. In fact, this year I hired a cleaner to help me clean my home 🙂

You know the saying:  The shoemaker has the worst shoes 🙂

Crikey! Guests must come first though!

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hi @David3267 I so love that you use our Aussie word, "Crikey"!!! 😊

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Gosh yes. So true. Also pets in my own home make cleaning it pretty futile!

We allow pets in one of our apartments and so far have been pleasantly surprised how well owners look after them

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

So true!!

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

So true, @David3267!! 🙂 

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@David3267We clean the same way, but the details are definitely different! I sure as anything don't spend a single moment in my own home checking glassware and flatware for smudges, nor would it have ever occurred to me to do so until I began hosting.

Like you, my home gets a bit neglected when there are lots of turnovers happening. I figure the only person judging me on my home's cleanliness is my mother, though. My secret is safe with her 🙂

Mothers are  the biggest judges!

@David3267 

No, Anne-Marie is the biggest judge. I do the cleaning in the letting and I'm fastidious. It takes 12 hours cleaning. Thats 12 hours for me alone or 4 hours for 3 people so I'm not a slacker 🙂

On top of that is the barbecue (!!) and the hot tub. I don't count the kitchen 'search and destroy' greasy pans/plates/glasses or baking trays in wrong cupboards and onions in the pan drawer in that cleaning time as Anne-Marie does that so is extra on top.

On 3 people cleaning days which happen on same day change over I get volunteered for the two bathrooms and the lounge. These are hair collectors! 

I forwarded the idea of shaving all our guests before they were allowed in to save a couple of hours but my family didn't seem to think it was a good idea. I told them they were wrong - obviously. I'm wondering if adding this to the house rules might give guests prior notice and if they don't read it I can get busy with a shaver 🙂

Wow, looking at your place I can understand the time it takes. It looks fabulous. We stayed in a place in Ambleside in the summer which I think had probably had about half an hours cleaning for a five bedroom property!