Cleaning an apartment is not like cleaning your own home, it's MUCH more detailed

Answered!
David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Cleaning an apartment is not like cleaning your own home, it's MUCH more detailed

Apologies, I copied this from another reply to a message & I thought HOW TRUE!

We do all the cleaning at our places and they are so much cleaner than our home!

Anyone else agree?

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@David3267We clean the same way, but the details are definitely different! I sure as anything don't spend a single moment in my own home checking glassware and flatware for smudges, nor would it have ever occurred to me to do so until I began hosting.

Like you, my home gets a bit neglected when there are lots of turnovers happening. I figure the only person judging me on my home's cleanliness is my mother, though. My secret is safe with her 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25

@David3267 

Thanks David, its taken quite a few years to get to where it is now and because its not been designed as a rental unit some things make cleaning time consuming. Lounge floor for instance, clean and move table, vacuum and remove rugs, vacuum wood floor whilst shifting sofas to get underneath, vacuum under log baskets and around fireplace, then mop shifting sofas back, dry, replace rugs, replace table. It surely would be easier to have just a carpet with valanced sofas down to the ground and just vacuum around everything! Cleaning, de-hairing the sofa covers and cushions is job in itself.

With specific planning for a rental space fast cleaning could be made a priority and the likes of integrated bathroom units, wet room type showers and fitted shower gel/soap dispensers could help reduce cleaning time.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David3267  I'm definitely fastidious when cleaning the guest space- it's a small room and bathroom, for 1 guest only, so it's not a lot of space to clean. I clean every square centimeter, even turning the single bedframe on its side and vacuuming the underneath of it for cobwebs, bugs, etc (a constant vigilance here in the tropics). Use antibacterial wipes on door knobs, faucet handles, light switches, and of course the toilet. The only thing that doesn't get done every single time is washing the windows and taking down the curtains to wash. 

While I like a clean and tidy house, there's no way my own living space is kept that immaculate- I'm too busy for that, but when I do tackle a room (other than the daily sweeping) I do it the same way I do the guest space. It just doesn't get done that often 🙂

I used to have a stellar cleaner, but she quit to take a full-time job. Tried out a couple others, but they weren't up to snuff, so I do all myself now until I can hopefully find someone who actually understands how to clean throughly.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

You know no one will do as thorough a job as you would!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@David3267 absolutely! The cleaning is constant and I would never clean my home to the level I do if I wasn't an Airbnb host. My normal visitors (i.e. friends) always comment how clean and tidy my house is when they drop in. Guests really have no idea how much work it is. 

I agree. I do a thorough Spring Clean before any guest arrives (ok, it's a tiny house, so possible), but I would be mortified if anyone found anything to complain about. I always say, I wouldn't have me and my husband as Airbnb guests in my house.....apologies to Groucho Marx!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@David3267  Absolutely! Ugh! My guest bathroom is always sparkling, but my own bathroom, neglected....

Miriam436
Level 2
Austin, TX

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0A clean place AND a free haircut. It's a deal!

@Miriam436 

Sounds like a great idea! Just don't ask for a discount because you won't be shedding hair. Thats my benefit! 🙂

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0   House rule: Bald or brush-cut guests only. Do not book this listing if your hair is over 1 inch long. 

@Sarah977 Maybe a bad idea on hindsight. Legitimising a bunch of Orc's turning up for a party wasn't my intention of the mass shaving 🙂

Perhaps I could run the vacuum over them and give them a quick lint rollering before I allow access instead?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  I've actually vacuumed my dog before when she was plagued with fleas. Worked like a charm. But she didn't have an opportunity to leave a review 🙂