Cleaning complaint - am I being out of order here?

Cleaning complaint - am I being out of order here?

So I hire a professional company to clean who do an amazing job. I just had someone complain because we didn't leave cleaning supplies under the sink for their own cleaning. I have dish soap, dishwasher tablets, liquid soap everywhere and hand sanitizer on the wall and my floors are so clean you could eat food off of them. I was accused of not caring about the guests health! Am I wrong here? I didn't want to leave bleach under the sink in case someone had a child and they accidentally drank it, plus I didn't want to leave materials guests could steal. I have guest steal toilet paper, towels, soap already (anything they can get their hands on). What do other hosts do? Do you leave cleaning supplies? I am worried I will get "the host left supplies expecting me to clean and thats their job" comments.

32 Replies 32
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liam1556,

I looked at a few of your listings, and they all stated or displayed that you are following the enhanced cleaning protocol.  The cleaning handbook does tell hosts that cleaning materials should be provided for the guests to use during their stay.

I no longer follow that specific protocol, but I do leave cleaning materials for my guests.  For the items that I think are too large to be left, I put some of the cleaning agent in a smaller reusable  bottle and label it appropriately.  I only leave enough toilet paper for what I consider to be a reasonable amount for the length of stay.

I am in this jam as well! I left some wipes and a guest moaned about how I was expecting her to clean up after herself and how it meant I hadn't cleaned properly!

@Seth157  That's absurd. Your guest's line of thinking is like saying that just because you provide coffee for your guests, that you expect them to drink it, even if they aren't coffee drinkers. 

@Liam1556  I'd leave a bottle of general purpose cleanser, a rag, a broom and dustpan. Maybe some disinfectant wipes. But not huge containers of anythig.

If your guests "steal everything", perhaps you could find ways to vet your guests better before accepting their bookings. 

I leave paper towels, rags/clothes (though someone complained the rag was "old looking"), dish soap and liquid hand soap. It still wasn't enough. Maybe some cheap bottles of cleaning spray would be good. Not leaving wipes as this will get stolen. As for the guests, well airbnb don't let you do background checks or screening and tell you to trust them. So I am at the mercy of Airbnb. 

What specific materials do you leave? I was thinking maybe a bottle of spray? I already leave 3 rolls of toilet paper per bathroom per night plus kitchen towels, plus rags, plus scrubbing brushes and dish soap and liquid hand soap. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Liam1556 we leave cleaning supplies as we find it intensely irritating when staying places if we can't clear up after ourselves.

By leaving supplies ( a sensible quantity for the length of stay) it can only encourage the guest to leave the property in a good condition

I have this too! What do you do?

Thank you - I am scared about a child drinking bleach. Plus I get robbed already. People steal everything. So what do you leave?

Don't leave bleach, but leave a few items that guests can use to clean off surfaces, etc.

Well I have liquid dish soap, paper towels and scrubbers and that wasn't enough. 

@Liam1556  Liquid dish soap doesn't make a good all-purpose cleaner. It's far too thick and sudsy. Would take way too much rinsing to get rid of the soap. And you can't clean a countertop properly with paper towels and and scrubbies. You need cloths and sponges.

I guess you don't have much personal experience with cleaning.

Hence whyI am asking. I use a professional cleaning company, it's a lot cost wise but worth it. My apartments are spotless (I can't stop guests making stuff up). I am just trying to go above and beyond for every guest. 

@Liam1556 In your own home, what do you use to clean up after dinner?  What do you use to clean the counters and wipe off the table? Often times I just use water but that doesn't count right now. Put that bottle of whatever you use under the kitchen sink for guests to use if they need it.  

Well I use everything and bleach too but then again, I'm not stealing from myself. I think I will get some cheap all purpose spray in a bottle. Something that if got stolen wouldn't impact me too much. Problem is I don't want to overpromise to a guest and then something is missing and the guest complains.  I don't know why people steal so much!