How do you handle cleaning during stays of 2-3 days or more?

Answered!
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

How do you handle cleaning during stays of 2-3 days or more?

I've been reading the posts here for about a month and have heard several opinions on cleaning. Most of the opinions i've read are for shared rooms, which I understand. This is the majority (by booking count) of AirBnB's business I am sure. My question is more for my studio (rented as a fully separate unit) and therefore more likely to get longer-term bookings for people who may want/expect cleaning by the host.

So, I am tagging a few people who I've come to trust @Farah, @Annette@Sharion0 to get their responses to this question.

I'm gonna put the Studio up for 2 day minimum, 7 day discount and monthly discount. In our area several events get hotel bookings that are more long term (I have friends in some of the major hotels here that are giving me hints on what those days/weeks are). So during many times of the year people would probably stay 3-5 or 7-14 days to take advantage of them. 

My quesiton is: What are some good policies regarding cleaning/freshening of linens, changing of beds, cleaning of bathrooms (private) and the kitchen (private as well)? When I say private, all these things are rented to that one guest, closed off from everyone else and have private entrance to guest. What have other guests told you they are experiencing when booking studios & 1BR apartments?

Anyone else, of course, is welcome to chime in but I'm mostly interested in what your policies are in non-shared-room-environments.

If it helps, the studio WILL have a cleaning fee attached to listing and a deposit. No children, extra guest fees (sofa-bed for 2ppl if they wish.)

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Hi @Jann3 ,

I have 1 entire apartment listing (1 BR apartment). The longest stay I have was 15-17 nights I believe. I charge $25 cleaning fee for this listing. For this listing, I offer laundry service for guests who stay for 5 nights or more (one load per week). So, I provide a hamper in the bedroom's closet. For guests who stay longer, I offer new linens and towels every 5-7 days. I do not change them myself though. So, the method that I have been using is: I explain during check-in tour that I can provide new linens and towels after 5 nights of stay (or a week at most). A day before that day, I send them a message asking if they would like new linens and towels (or if there is anything else they need) and what time do they want me to drop them off (I live upstairs). I ask them to put the dirty linens and towels in the hamper, then I trade them with the clean one. So far, nobody have asked me to put the replacement linens and make the bed (though I can do that too if they want me to do that). There were guests who only took the new linens, but not towel or vice versa. I am running the airbnb under/as a business, so I need to be careful regarding "extra service" that is comparable to hotels such as providing breakfast or maid service.

For kitchen and bathroom, I have never receive a request to get them re-clean during their stay. Fortunately, based on my experience, kitchen and bathroom have always been left in a clean condition by the long term/short term guests. There are extra TP in the bathroom and under the kitchen sink there is a cleaning spray (if needed). I always remind my guest to please do not hesitate to let me know if they have any questions or need anything. I also check on my guest on the 2nd day (for guests who stay for more than 1 night - for all of my listings) using the airbnb messaging system.

I hope this help and have fun hosting!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Hi @Jann3 ,

I have 1 entire apartment listing (1 BR apartment). The longest stay I have was 15-17 nights I believe. I charge $25 cleaning fee for this listing. For this listing, I offer laundry service for guests who stay for 5 nights or more (one load per week). So, I provide a hamper in the bedroom's closet. For guests who stay longer, I offer new linens and towels every 5-7 days. I do not change them myself though. So, the method that I have been using is: I explain during check-in tour that I can provide new linens and towels after 5 nights of stay (or a week at most). A day before that day, I send them a message asking if they would like new linens and towels (or if there is anything else they need) and what time do they want me to drop them off (I live upstairs). I ask them to put the dirty linens and towels in the hamper, then I trade them with the clean one. So far, nobody have asked me to put the replacement linens and make the bed (though I can do that too if they want me to do that). There were guests who only took the new linens, but not towel or vice versa. I am running the airbnb under/as a business, so I need to be careful regarding "extra service" that is comparable to hotels such as providing breakfast or maid service.

For kitchen and bathroom, I have never receive a request to get them re-clean during their stay. Fortunately, based on my experience, kitchen and bathroom have always been left in a clean condition by the long term/short term guests. There are extra TP in the bathroom and under the kitchen sink there is a cleaning spray (if needed). I always remind my guest to please do not hesitate to let me know if they have any questions or need anything. I also check on my guest on the 2nd day (for guests who stay for more than 1 night - for all of my listings) using the airbnb messaging system.

I hope this help and have fun hosting!

Hi Jann,

I only rent a room in my home, and the maximum length of stay is 4 nights:). I don't have much to offer in terms of long stay cleaning in a seperate unit. I think @ Farah seems to have it down to a science:) I don't offer new linens since their stay is short. However I do have bathroom cleaner and paper towels under the sink in the bathroom and let the guest know at check in they are welcome to use it if they want to wipe out the bathroom sink. I stay out of the bedroom and bathroom while they are in my home. Wish I could be more assistance:)  

No, don't worry about "not being of assistance!" All views and viewpoints are welcome. Think of it this way; you read what we wrote and if there was anything obviously wrong you would've told @Huma0@Farah1 AND me! Thanks for taking the time to read and answer!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jann3 thanks for including me in the conversation and it's nice to be trusted! While I am currently OBSESSED with cleaning (my cleaner quit and this is the busiest time for me for bookings since I started doing Airbnb), I only have private rooms in a shared house with shared bathrooms, so I'm not sure I can give any relevant advice.

From a guest perspective, if I was renting a self contained unit, I would expect it to be very clean on arrival and spotless if I'd paid a cleaning fee. If I was there long term, I would hope it would be cleaned and fresh linens/towels provided on a weekly basis (this is what I offer to long term guests staying in my house and I don't charge a cleaning fee). If a cleaning fee had been paid, I would expect this to be the minimum.

However, I do think it depends on what you have paid. When I have rented cheap holiday apartments outside of Airbnb, they have been clean on arrival but I don't remember any cleaners coming in while I was there, even if the stay was for two weeks. The more expensive the accommodation and the higher the cleaning fee, the more often I would expect it to be cleaned.

Sorry, I know that's probably not a great deal of help!

By the way, how lucky you are to have insight from hoteliers! I'm jealous 🙂

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Jann3  I have an apartment on the ground floor of our house that we Airbnb. I have the place cleaned and refreshed every five days for a longer term guest (I allow only 2 weeks max). This includes fresh sheets, towels, etc. I top up the snacks, water bottles, coffee pods, etc.