Cleaning fee and deposit combined.

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Cleaning fee and deposit combined.

On another forum I was reading where an experienced host made a change to his listing that I found interesting. So apparently he had a few instances over the course of a year where guests ruined linens or caused damage and when he called to report he found that they don’t actually collect the listed deposit. He then had to go through he11 getting reimbursed (on one he didn’t as I recall). So then he changed his cleaning fee from $50 to $200. He then in the listing advises the guest that at checkout when he determines no damage and such that he will refund $150 and keep $50 for cleaning. He said he’s had great success with this change. He had a bit lower occupancy but the guests that did book left his space in much better shape than he’d become accustomed to. He also said he has kept part of it when there were more guests than booked. Of course his guest house is on site so he can see extra guests and can check the condition of the space himself. 

I’m  thinking I may do the same and will also use the extra amount to collect my pet fee.

Thoughts? 

6 Replies 6
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Annette76 

Personally I think that is a bit over the top and cumbersome!

I look after my listing myself, am retired and do all my cottage servicing so, there is not an outgoing cost to servicing, it should be covered in the listing amount as far as I am concerned.

Having said that Annette I do charge a cleaning fee of $10 AU and 18 months ago I lifted my listing amount by $7 per guest night to cover small losses.

This money I put into another bank account and I regard that as a building/damage fund. That account is all the time trending upwards and currently sits at about $2,300....I do have the odd breakage or wear replacement but when that happens I don't hassle the guest or Airbnb, I just drag the cost out of that fund and it works well. I just put it right and get on with the business of hosting the next guest.

As hosts we do have to understand we are running a business for profit, and with any business we must take our own steps to protect our investment and not expect someone else to be our financial dustpan!

I have never tried to claim any compensation from Airbnb, and Annette,  I never will! I have an insurance policy to cover major events but that has a high excess of $2,000, so the premium is low.

I think I saw that post that you were refering too but I dismissed it as causing more work for the host, and aggrivation to guests than it was worth.....but thank you for bringing it up again, it does have a valid merit!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 

As we are dog trainers by trade and are starting this venture in order to host people and dogs who want to hike and such in the area I will have a high likelihood of people bringing dogs. As Airbnb has yet to figure out a way to add a pet fee(other than as an add on in the resolution center) this is what caught my attention. The wear and tear on linens and such is not a concern to me as like you I consider it a cost of doing business. 

I will say that as a dog trainer I do get what the original guy discovered, in that when people were told they could “earn” back up to $150 dollars just by following the house rules it made complete sense. My dogs work for cookies and praise, maybe guests understand this as well lol. 

@Annette76 Your last sentence made me laugh out loud - but I really think you are onto something.  I say go for it!

I host remotely but keep a set of linens and pillows in a separate closet for my own use when staying at the house.  At first I just said in the house rules that they were off-limits, but people still used them.  Finally I wrote: "The linens and pillows in the cedar closet are reserved for the owner's use.  Anyone using them will forfeit their entire security deposit."  No one has touched them since.  🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Annette76 

Hi there! I tried to check out your listings so I could see your dogs but couldn't see them 😞 Are you still preparing your listing? 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I am renovating the kitchen and still buying furniture. Hoping to get it finished soon, but inspectors are backlogged which is holding up progress. Here’s a pic of a Lancashire Heeler puppy for you! EFBDCED5-C5C5-49A5-AB6D-D9DE1E7B06EC.jpeg

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

My goodness me, so gorgeous!

Thank you @Annette76 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines