Cleaning fee for an extended stay

Donna287
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Cleaning fee for an extended stay

Hi Community!

Our house frequently gets booked for extended stays: weeks/months. I do the cleaning myself and like to go in once a week to clean, put on fresh sheets and give them fresh towels. However, the cleaning fee is only a one time charge so I’m not getting paid for my multiple cleanings. Am I missing something on the pricing page? I would hate to tell a guest that is staying for more than a week (and thereby getting my week or month discount rate) that I am tacking on an additional charge - I know I wouldn’t like that! Any suggestions?

Donna

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

A discount for weekly or monthly stays means that the guest does not get the same service as short term rentals, @Donna287.  That being said, if you have the time to clean your listing, you are protecting it from abuse, which can occur with long term bookings.

If you are not concerned about guest abuse of your space, it would be okay to stop the cleaning.  The cleaning fee is defined as a one time preparation of the space.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Linda!

But . . . Does the guest know this about long term rentals? Or do you state this in your message to them?

Hello @Donna287. Let's say it's a kind of unwritten rule of hosts, but guests don't necessarily know about it. Put it in your house rules, and in this case (now) make sure the guest understands it.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Helpful advice! Thanks!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Donna287 

as @Linda108 said, if you have time to clean 1 x week and protect your unit from damages by doing it this is good. You can compensate cleaning fee by not giving any weekly discount. This is what we do. 

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

This is a weak point in AirBnB's pricing model, and something they should address. One approach would be to allow a host to specify the cleaning fee on a per-(day-count) basis, where the "day-count" could be specified by the host. For example, a host could specify that stays of 1-5 days (or whatever) would incur one cleaning charge (and come with one change of sheets, towels, whatever), but that an add'l cleaning could occur every X days for an add'l charge of Y. Leaving it up to the host to specify the values for X and Y.

Or AirBnB could allow the host to set the cleaning charge on a per-day / per-stay basis. By that I mean, we could specify cleaning charges at something like a base charge of $XX (for example, $20), then an add'l $YY (for example $10) for each add'l day.

Basically, something more realistic that the current $XX ($35, or $50, or $150) single cleaning charge, no matter the length of the stay. Obviously, a stay of 2 nights will require a lot less cleaning (and turnover of sheets, towels, etc) that a stay of 25 nights.

You nailed it! Thanks!

Sarah2345
Level 1
Coventry, United Kingdom

Was literally searching this community because I was thinking exactly this. No idea why air bnb havent updated this yet

Daniel381
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

Also in need of this cleaning fee per amount of days!

Andrew1976
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

+1

Agreed , it's something airbnb should definitely consider

Jodi37
Level 3
New York, NY

Yes! I have my first month booking and although we can change the discount rate per days, there is nothing available for cleaning amount. Ugh. I thought of suggesting to the guests upon check-in that cleaning can be available for the cleaning fee rate once a week. Not sure they'll bite, but otherwise it won't be cleaned until check out and I'll feel the need to give the cleaning service double at least. 

Heidi493
Level 2
Charleston, SC

We use PMS that ties into Airbnb and allows us to charge or add extra fees daily or after a certain amount of days.  It will just add it to the rate.  One of the many benefits of using PMS by the way.

if using Airbnb to manage though I would suggest disclosing it or putting in your lisitng so guest will know about the extra fee for longer term stays.  This is key.  As long as you disclose that in your listing your good.  Then send them a resolution right away for the extra service charge so if they want to cancel they have that option unless it is a last minute booking.  Some will not read it and ask what is it but 99% will not have an issue and pay it as it makes sense.

Happy hosting!😀

Scott and Heidi

Katarzyna65
Level 2
Orlando, FL

I have guests staying for over a month and am charging them a $75 fee for a cleaning after they move out. Is it acceptable for me to leave them some phone numbers to the local cleaning comp or is it too much?