Cleaning fee if guests cook curries or fish in the studio

Lynda18
Level 5
Kaikoura, New Zealand

Cleaning fee if guests cook curries or fish in the studio

I rent a self contained studio for holiday accommodation.    I don't want to charge a fee for cleaning, but in my house rules, I state that no curries or fish are to be cooked in the studio and should be cooked outside on the barbecue.   I don't know if they have broken the rules until they leave - so how can I charge them $40 for the extra decontaminating?   Is it even possible?

8 Replies 8
M19
Level 1
Aruba

Greetings, I understand your concern with cooking certain dishes. We don't charge a cleaning fee and guests can use our kitchen while staying at our home. We do request that they make easy, quick and light meals. It is a challenge as everyone has different cooking habits but they understand and cooperate. Maybe this can help, blessings, M
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

If it's one of your house rules and you find its been violated when the guests leave, you can go to the Resolution Centre and ask for compensation for your additional cleaning costs. There's no guarantee the guests will agree to pay though. Would it be easier to just add a small cleaning fee to your listing, and then use the extra money collected for the occasional guest who may fail to follow that rule?

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You would be much better off adding a very small cleaning fee for each guest. You won't find AirBnB very willing to support a claim against a post-stay demand for additional cleaning for someone cooking a curry. You really mean smelly food and everyone will have different idea as to what is smelly and what is not.

Good luck

Natalie482
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

Hello! We have been washing and scrubbing our studio for a week and the curry smell has not left. I have covered the room in baking soda, vaccummed, washed all pillows, blankets, scrubbed the walls, baking soda in the microwave with water, left windows open for a week and it still smells a full week later. I was wondering if you all think this is a respectable note to leave in the kitchen. I do not want to offend anyone from other cultures that cook curry traditionally so I’m avoiding the word curry:

Welcome!

Enjoy the kitchen!  As a courtesy to future guests, we ask that you refrain from the preparation or cooking of strong aromatic foods and spices.

Thank you!!

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Natalie482  if you are still struggling to remove the smell, I suggest you hire a professional grade ozone machine.

An ozone machine is the only proven way to get rid of the smell of curry. The machine creates ozone (O3), which is an instable molecule that quickly breaks down into oxygen (O2). The breaking down process is actually a chemical reaction that naturally neutralizes odors. 

That said, you have to be very careful using one of these.  Ozone is a gas and is toxic to humans, so you should treat it a bit like a "bug bomb" and take safety precations, the same way you would do if your house was being fumigated.  Sometimes all you need is 3-4 hours with it on and a good one will neutralise particals that cause the smell.

Gayle27
Level 2
Margaret River, Australia

Hi Natalie,I had the same problem and was recommended in this forum to abtain a product called Nilodour it worked a treat ,but does leave a hotel room smell so i guess its what hotels use to combat odours ,Good luck

Thank you, Gayle! I will look into that! 

Thank you, Ben! Will look into it. I’ll try Gayle’s tip first. Thanks again!!!