Cleaning services for a rural cabin

Yazmin30
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Cleaning services for a rural cabin

I purchased a cabin in the Sequoia National Forest in April. After securing a cleaning lady (who charges $50/hour), I went ahead and listed the cabin on Airbnb. To my surprise, the cabin booked almost completely for May, June, July and August. I think people want secluded areas due to COVID-19. Unfortunately, the cleaning lady has twice not shown-up and this has caused me stress and embarrassment. I have refunded the guests the cleaning fee and one night's stay.

I have already searched high and low for an alternative cleaning option (a company or person) to no avail. So I am considering changing the model whereby the guests are required to leave the cabin the way they found it. In exchange I would:

1. Remove the cleaning fee

2. Extend the departure to 5pm instead of 10am

3. Add more amenities, like dry staple food (rice, beans, pancake mix, etc.)

4. Leave cleaning instructions

I live about 3.5 hours away and I will be there monthly to deep clean.

Any input or suggestions and how I should word this?

Thank you.

16 Replies 16

@Yazmin30 I see, a person who is not glued to her phone, how refreshing. 😉

Did the two screw-ups involve last-minute changes that she didn't see notice of? If so my feeling would be that that's not entirely on her. It doesn't make sense to accept a reservation (or a reservation change) that you're not sure you can clean for, regardless of your cleaner arrangements. In your situation I would suggest you not accept last-minute check-ins unless you can reach her and get confirmation that she can accommodate them. 

I think in your situation I would have a talk with her and ask her what you can do, together, to make sure  communication is consistent and cleanings are done as scheduled.

FWIW, my feeling is that for every host the initial learning curve is significant and there are going to be some bumps as you figure out processes that will keep your place running smoothly. My own response to this bump would not be to give up on professional cleaning; my fear is you will be trading one set of challenges for another.

Also, how would you know how to review guests if you're only in there once a month for a deep clean? Did I miss something? Since the "cabin" is a big place, I would raise the rates somewhat and yes, have a backup for when your cleaner is unavailable or find a "team" to clean. The fact that it booked up so quickly indicates to me that you could get a little more money for it, which would help pay for the cleaning. Good luck!  M.E.