Cleaning tips from Airbnb Hosts - I'm so proud to be part of this article and wanted to share with U

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

Cleaning tips from Airbnb Hosts - I'm so proud to be part of this article and wanted to share with U

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/cleaning-tips-from-airbnb-hosts-36607520

Apartment Therapy has some really cool stuff so when I got a call to contribute I was thrilled.

Read and see some tips that might be new to some host. I am excited to share with you guys!

happy hosting, Clara

34 Replies 34

@Helen427  Mexicans use brooms. Then they have these big brushs on long poles that they use to get the cobwebs down from the ceilings and clean the ceiling fans. Vacuum cleaners are a rarity but they are available to buy and I have one. My dog is a huge shedder and her fur is everywhere- light and fluffy undercoat that bounces across the floor and lodges itself everywhere. A broom doesn't do it- a lot of the hair just flies around. The vacuum cleaner is a godsend.

Seems like a leaf blower would just blow the dust into every nook and cranny. 

But it reminds me of one summer when the fleas were just terrible. My dog was plagued by them, and nothing was working- not the flea collar, the flea baths, the Frontline. I was vacuuming with my shop vac one day and had an idea- I took off the attachments and just used the hose, pressing down hard and running it all over her body. It worked like a charm

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HAHA! Glad I'm not the only once that's hoovered the dog @Sarah977 !

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Clara116 

Great article 🙂 thanks for sharing~

Henry likes scents whereas I don't.... so we usually go for non-scented items but my experience is that they still have *some* sort of smell. 

I don't mind a hint of lavendar or citrusy or minty smells but even for scents I like, being exposed to strong scents for extended periods will give me a raging headache. 

Henry absolutely hates rose or lilac  scented products, it makes him gag. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Mexicans seem to love heavily scented products. You really have to make sure to read the label- it's hard to find toilet paper that doesn't have "aroma". I've accidentally bought some a couple of times and couldn't figure out why my bathroom had this gag-worthy scent. 

It reminds me of food product labels- if you read the label on a pack of commercial cookies (not just in Mexico, in Canada as well), it'll say it has coloring. What possible color can cookies turn out that would necessitate adding coloring?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Well done @Clara116 ! Fantastic read! Did the publication reach out to you out of the blue or... tell us the story! 😄

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie @Lizzie Thanks for the support. Actually our Airbnb  team that head up all of Florida are in Miami (long way from us) and since I'm kinda the leader/moderator of our FB group and work to organize activities and do merchant walks/ and meetings.....they always call me about news stories or such articles being done. So they asked if I'd help with this writer's request with Apartment Therapy...... Of course, I said YES. I'm always good for a challenge and learning new ideas from others. Thanks for asking!

Nina204
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

I hate the smell of peppermint oil!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Woohoo @Clara116, this is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing it here in the CC, it is always lovely to hear what fantastic things and very well deserved things are going on in our community. 

First of many perhaps? 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Clara116  Congratulations and thanks for posting.  I shared it with my housekeeper and she asked for a supply of lint rollers.  🙂

@Ann72  They are magical in an AirBNB space! Costco, package of three. These work for real!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

NIce achievement, @Clara116 - Apartment Therapy is a very cool site! Well done to you! 👏👏👏

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Boiling water poured on the kitchen floor.  Sprinkle just a little Pinesol, let sit for a few mintues then on hands and knees with a towel, wipe up.  I have never seen my floor look so clean.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Mr. Clean magic erasers- they really are magic.  Take off scuff marks on walls, black streaks on the floor from suitcase wheels, etc,.

@Sarah977  I always wondered about them....I'll give it a try now. Thanks for the tip.