Cleaning white linen and towels myself

Sylvia328
Level 1
Grover Beach, CA

Cleaning white linen and towels myself

Hi, I'm a super host with 107 stays. This last year, I have lost an unbelievable amount of towels. People have used my white bathtowls to remove makeup and Nail Polish! I want to charge a $50.00 linen deposit. How do I itemize this in the rates?

14 Replies 14
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sylvia328  Listing -> Pricing ->  Standard Fees and Charges  ->  Edit  ->  Go to bottom  ->  Add a standard fee  ->  Linens fee

@Ann72 Sure wish that I had this option on my listing, but I do not.

@Susan151 I didn't realize it wasn't standard.  Maybe it's one of those professional tools they've recently introduced?

@Ann72 . Or a beta test. Or a random offering based on whether or not your listing ID is divisible by three. [tongue firmly in cheek]

@Susan151 LOL I think the latter!  🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sylvia328  Many hosts recommend providing black washcloths for make-up removal. Apparently these are available with "Makeup" actually woven into them. Perhaps Google where they are available.Then have a small sign in the bathroom asking guest to please use the black washcloths for that purpose.

Mike-And-Dana0
Level 2
Locust Grove, GA

I have put disposable wet facial cloths also  designated  makeup wash cloths in the bathroom for this very reason and they still use my towels. So I know exactly what you mean. 

@Mike-And-Dana0  Did it cut down on towel staining at all? Or same same?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sylvia328 Buy a bunch of makeup towels. Even hotels are doing it now.

This simple little invention is said to be saving the accomodation industry millions....

DDE5292C-4DF0-43AE-A316-E30B92E39A86.jpeg

Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

One more recommendation for black towels and washcloths.  I always provide them for guests, and I also buy makeup removing towelettes and leave a stack of them in the medicine cabinet.  You can buy makeup towelettes in bulk from Gilchrist & Soames online (that's where I get my toiletries).  Generally speaking, though, I consider towels and linens to be "consumables."  I expect to have to replace them, so I find towels and linens that are the right balance of quality and value, because I know I will have to replace them on a periodic basis.  I actually found some AMAZING wrinkle-resistant, super soft sheets for $21.99 a set online.  You would never know they cost so little, and that makes it a lot more affordable if I have to replace them.  Also, if your white towels and sheets start looking dingy or yellow, you can use laundry bluing to help restore their whiteness.

Where did you get the sheets?

Donna316
Level 4
Tasman, New Zealand

I just wanted to say I also have put disposeable makeup wipes in the bathroom on the shelf in front of the mirror.  Not many people have used them, but I also at this stage haven't had anyone wipe their makeup off, on to the white bath towels.  I would never do this and find it very rude that people would even do this. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I provide disposeable makeup removers; when the occasional white towel or robe or sheet gets stained, I use 'Shout' on the stain and then wash in hot water with a cup of bleach. Works most all of the time; only a couple of times when it didn't. Even got out hair dye a few times. The black make up wash cloths are a good idea as well.

Ruth331
Level 2
Spokane, WA

I'm having a hard time cleaning tiny little spots in my white towels that looks like rust. Any idea how to clean it? I tried bleach, ammonia, awesome, alcohol, nothing is working...