Cleanliness Reviews in the country

Laura967
Level 1
Nanticoke, Canada

Cleanliness Reviews in the country

Hello fellow hosts & superhosts!

I am loving the overall hosting experience & have been meeting some wonderful people. We were consistently getting 5 star reviews across the board until a couple of months ago with the warmer weather & now we are getting lower reviews for cleanliness with comments relating to "bugs". We are located in the middle of the country, surrounded by forests, agricultural fields, & we are right on the lake. We get a lot of bugs because we are in the country & it's not something that we can control. We've ensured that all of the windows in the space we rent has screens on them, have used solar lights low to the ground to encourage bugs to stay low, & obviously we clean (dust, mop, sweep & vaccuum between guests). We have now received several comments about bugs with additional notes that specifically say bugs can't be helped, & yet it affects our overall rating. We've updated the listing to make note that there are bugs as our Air BnB listing is advertised as "glamping" & that is situated in the great outdoors, but it continues to happen.

Any suggestions or has anyone else had a similar experience? Would love to get this sorted or have Air BnB review some of their questions as it's difficult to have generic cleaning questions across the board for very diverse properties.

Thank you!
Laura on the Lake

3 Replies 3
Amy-and-Chad0
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

Hi Laura on the Lake!
Besides what you're doing, I have no advice. I just wanted to say some people have unreasonable expectations. Like the person who said I lied about our lake being swimmable... she said that it wasn't b/c there are weeds.... it's a lake in MN, of course there are some weeds, but people swim in it every day! All we can do is make these obvious points in our listings.
Good luck to you & hopefully you'll get better advice than mine!
Cheers,
amy on the lake

Giannis7
Level 2
Athens, Greece

hello all, trying to discover this part of air nbn as an owner..

Nick222
Level 2
New York, NY

Dear all,

I have had this problem on a couple of previous occations and I agree with the other replies in as much as that some people are not realistic  about country rentals and that they may have highlighted an issue because they were not enjoying their stay for other reasons beyond the control of the host. A word of advice ,try not to take it too personally ,as long as you have plenty of other good reviews one difficult to please client should not effect your overall booking rate and just eccept it as part of the process (job )

all the best

Nick