Cleanliness

Jonathan294
Level 1
Midlothian, TX

Cleanliness

We're new to hosting, so I'm still trying to set my expectations of guests. Out second guest just left after being here for almost a month. I don't know how to rate her because I don't know what normal cleanliness is expected to be after people leave. However, what we found after she left was disgusting. I understand that some amount of cleanup is normal, they are humans after all. But we just had the carpets cleaned before she came. Now they have gum ground into them and have a dirty dingy look that is even worse than before we had them cleaned. It's like they walked through a mud ouddle right before coming inside. The rest of the place was equally disgusting after they left. I won't have her back, but not sure if I should rate her poorly and warn other hosts or if this is normal.

8 Replies 8
Ron103
Level 8
Galveston, TX

Yes, you should post your experience with this guest in their review section.
It should not be considered normal for a guest to leave a hosts space in disarray or an obviously dirty state, regardless of how long they stay. I expect my place to be tidy when guests leave, regardless of how long their stay was.
Yes, we do expect a guest that stays a month to have a bit more cleanup after checking out then one that stays a week, but a hosts space should never be left dirty.
If I had a guest do something like that, there is no way I would give them higher than 2 stars and I would point that out in the written review. Something like, "Unfortunately, this guest left the carpet extremely soiled and we were left to clean several messes that we consider excessive, so they were given only x stars for Cleanliness."
If communication was good, bad, or indifferent, note that.
Same with following the House Rules.

@Jonathan294

I completely agree with what @Ron103 says.  I suggest you have clear expectations about cleanliness mentioned in your rule and state the obvious (like "no wet, muddy shoes or food on carpet"). Also consider a way to "check up" on the state of your house while the guest is there, especially for guests staying longer than a week. My listing is a private room in my home and I mention that I enter the guest room to change sheets or vaccum under the bed occasionally, so it's easier for me to catch things that could end up needing extensive clean up before they get out of hand.

In case of the gum, I'd try to get the guest to pay for professional cleaning (without mentioning how dirty it is, because cleanliness is subjective but gum ground into carpet is not) and if they refuse, escalate to the resolution center. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Thank you both for your response, clarification, and support. I appreciate it.  This puts my mind much more at ease.

Brett61
Level 2
Coupeville, WA

Appropriate levels of cleanliness are subjective. I think of public restrooms in different countries and the conditions in them are vastly different. Then I visit homes of people I know. Some of them are utter pig stys by my evaluation, and yet I'm certain I have at least one friend who considers my space a total wreck too. 

Lori83
Level 5
Omaha, NE

Just as you would have liked to have been warned about this guest, the hosting community would appreciate it if you let us all know to avoid this guest as well.  Please be sure to give her a 'thumbs down' when reviewing indicating you would not recommend her to other hosts.  This will help other hosts to be forewarned.  

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

I agree with everyone here. I expect to have to dust, take out the trash, do laundry, vacuum, clean the toilet/shower, wash splashes of toothpaste off the bathroom mirror. Things that come with someone living in a place. I'm even forgiving of a few dirty dishes in the sink. Things like shampooing the rugs should only be required once every year or two, not after every guest. 

As a fellow host, I'd certainly want to know this information if the person was requesting to book my place. 

Steve
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

We all live differently, which is the main thing to remember with being a host.  Most people are filthy....and they may want their space clean when they get there, but that doesn't mean they have a standard once they are actually living in the space for a period of time!  If the carepts need professional cleaning after just 30 days..yeah, that's disgusting.  If the towels are soiled or the bathroom is icky, that to me would be a normal- guest- dirty- no biggie thing.  I don't charge for cleaning--I do everything myself.  I have a note in the space reminding folks the reason the space is so cheap is that I expect they leave things in order...help me by bagging up their trash and leaving it outside the door and eating food only at the table.  Most people actually do that...and those little things really help with keeping the space cleaner. I was using this beautiful linen cream table cloth and got so upset when it was totally ruined by coffee someone spilled....then I reminded myself:  Hey, they drank it at the table and not on the bed!  So..plastic table cloth from now on lol

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jonathan294

I've seen hosts who rent longer than let's say a week advise to not give weekly or other refunds and instead tell guests it's because there is a weekly cleaning. That is to prevent losing their property out of sight and not knowing it's turning into a pigstye. When you or a cleaning person enter on a regular (pre-determined) basis to change linens and towels and to clean up, you can take preventive measures faster.

However, don't ever let anybody talk you out of that cleaning service by insisting they will do it. Just stick by your guns. It's part of your service. Period.