Clothes and personal items left in a room?

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Clothes and personal items left in a room?

I wanted to get some opinions as I'm only on my second round of guests and still have things to learn about hosting.

My question is somewhat hypothetical, but what are exactly the rules about clothing and personal items left behind in a room after checkout.  For instance, if checkout time is at 11AM and I come home at 1PM to find the house empty, yet the guest left a bunch of clothes in the closet and personal items like toothbrush, razor, etc in the bathroom, what would one do?

I ask this since there is some basis in the Airbnb horror stories around the web (of which there are several).  From what I have read, most of time when people left all their clothes and things in the room after checkout, its because they want to get back into the house as a potential squatter.  I have also heard of some law in Texas where the police can't do anything to an overstaying Airbnb guest if they still have all of their belongings in the house.  I've also heard that if the host removes them, they will be delisted by Airbnb.

So would you just gather up everything in a tot or plastic bag?  Keep it by the door or put it outside  Or actually be required to leave it in the room (which could be a problem if you have another guest coming).  Thoughts?

10 Replies 10
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Guests leave stuff behind all the time. I offer to ship it to them. I don't think there are any particular rules, and I've never heard of the squatter angle.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anthony608 @Lisa723

In America it is easier than it is in some other countries!

The law in America says the the tennants Fourth Ammendment rights are extinquished at 'check-out' time.

And this includes the removal of the tennant (guests) possessions. This link better explains it. The only differing of opinion here is police in general will not get involved in the removal of a guest unless personal injury could be involved.....If the guest suggested the use of a weapon Police would respond but not otherwise.

https://www.gsblaw.com/duff-on-hospitality-law/guest-room-privacy-and-the-fourth-amendment

Cheers.....Rob

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

When guests leave something by mistake I will  request the money to ship it from them through Airbnb. Normally I send the guest the cost and money request firts through Airbnb and once they have agreed I ship the goods and send a picture of the waybill number through Airbnb. I sometimes even ad a small fee for my trouble as it can be quite a process here in Africa if you ship parcels abroad!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I go to the house as soon as practical after guests tell me they have left. Often there are things still in the house and I will contact them as they may still be in the area. If they are too far away, I have been known to post without charge, but that depends on how much they paid for the booking. If a short cheap booking, I definitely charge. A longer one I will feel more generous towards paying the postage. Often guests say don't bother, but once I posted two big bottles of schampoo! Yup. Couldn't believe they wanted it posted. They paid for that heavy box.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Anthony608

"Dear guest, you left  XXXX. What would you like me to do with it? Would you like me ' to leave it on the porch for you?"

Let common sense guide you - not arbitrary and conflicting laws.

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

@Anthony608 Out of curiosity, did the guest return the key? That should give an indication as to whether it was deliberate or not. It seems like a lot of items to simply forget! 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Michelle-And-Michael0- This is a situation where the guests are still here and part of me is just being paranoid.  They are only my 2nd AirBNB guests ever and are staying for the maximum amount of time possible then swithcing with a back-to-back reservation to stay even longer.  I have talked to both AirBNB and the county authorities, and both have said I am protected if the guests try to overstay the booking and claim that they are residents of the home.  I am not saying that they will do that, only I am keeping an eye on them as thier behavior has been somewhat odd and a statement was made a week ago about needing to stay in the house until March, which I told them was not possible.  I live here as well, and they are occupying only a single room of my full house.  I was mainly thinking what I would do if I came home on checkout day and all thier belongings were still in the house.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Anthony608

By your questions, I can see you're a little concerned about the law. You're inexperienced and it's good you are coming here for opinions.

Don't listen to the scary tenant rights stories you hear.   They don't really apply to you.

You are in your own home,  so you always have possesion of your apartment/home. 

You can easily kick out people from your own home. Just use common sense. 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Paul154- its very good advice you gave, thank you.  The first 20 days have come and gone and there has really been no problem with these guests  They've followed all house rules and have been respectful the entire time.  One of them also appears to have some type of full time job now, so I just can not believe they would want to risk some type of trespassing situation if they try to stay in the house which might get the police involoved.  90% of this was me just being wary becuase of the elusive way they switched reservations to stay longer and the cryptic comments about staying until March past thier checkout.  Hopefully, everything will work out fine.

David6487
Level 2
Richmond, VA

@Anthony608 
Squatters rights most likely only becomes an issue if you let someone stay beyond the AirBnB reservation. Once you let someone stay they now have an implied lease, I believe a month-to-month lease. If you come home and there's no one there then I'd assume they checked out, but you should contact them about any property left behind. Remove their belongings and contact them. I'd recommend you do not let them back to the room. 

For items left behind it's been my experience with leases that you need to hold on to it for 30 days, and after 30 days you can sell the items, take out anything to cover storage and any additional cleaning charges, then donate any remaining proceeds to a charity.  That's how it is in VA.