Co-Vid19 guests booking for parties

Karina192
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Co-Vid19 guests booking for parties

Dear community,

I hope you are all doing okay in this crazy time!

Obviously with the outbreak of Co-Vid19, many cities are closed to International guests. However, I have read of trends that locals are booking local accommodations for change of scenery, quarantine and also for parties. (I think because we have all dropped out prices.)

I had local guests book for the weekend, and I explicitly said no additional guests or parties (that is the South african regulations at the moment - it is a very strong lockdown)

However, from Friday evening until midday today they were playing loud music and shouting and screaming. Neighbours complained to me and I messaged numerous times to ask them to respect the neighbours and the residential building.

They said they were sorry, but then never turned the music down. Today was there check out day but they asked if they could check out later (3pm). I however asked them to leave this morning at 11am.

And my flat is an absolute mess today. 

Does anyone have advice to how to handle this better in the future?

Best, 

Karina

5 Replies 5
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Karina192  at the first sign of noise.... problem or upset neighbor....you must be very assertive....that means you don't ask them you TELL them...no party. Music down or police will be dispatched....u must take charge...they will do whatever they can get away with....the saying "what you permit...you promote" is correct here. Be the boss, stand firm! 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Karina192sorry you had to deal with this. I have lots of experience in this department. These are the steps I take. When locals book, I send a pretty strict message that outlines all the evil things I would do to them if they party. I have a device that counts the number of people at the property. I can detect a gathering as people are starting to arrive before the music is even being blasted. I do have a noise monitor but it hasn’t been as useful. I have a contract with a local security company. For $150 they would come out and kick everyone out. I do not call guests more than once. If they do not leave/stop after the first call- they are out. You can also call Airbnb.  While they are too slow to help instantly, they would attend to it within a few hours. I also have language in my listing about all this. I don t know how many do not book After reading  in the first place - no one reads- but I can always direct them to it if there are questions during stay by them or airbnb. I also state in my listing that I require IDs from all guests and that I take picture of them. I normally only check the primary  guest but if I sense trouble, than I take them all. While many still try to break my rules, this should never go on to second night. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You have a beautiful, high end apartment with very positive reviews so you might not have run into the type of guest that seems to be part of the short term rental market at this time.  Allowing single day booking, especially to locals, should be avoided most of the time but especially now.  A single neighbor complaint can start a process of restricting short term rentals, especially now when so many of us are isolating and super bored!  Be careful and vigiliant in your guest vetting.  Good luck!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Karina192  "(I think because we have all dropped our prices.)"

Dropping your prices is a big mistake. Raise them again. You can always set discounts for week or month-long stays, but keep the price high enough for short bookings that you don't attract these types of disrespectful rule-breakers.

U mnie było podobnie. Przyjechaliśmy interweniować, dodatkowe osoby wyszły i wróciły po naszym wyjeździe kontynuować imprezę. Dzwoniliśmy  do Airbnb i wysłałam  zgłoszenia problemu ale nie uzyskałam pomocy.  Teraz realizuję proces odzyskania kosztów za zniszczone rzeczy.