Cockroaches and refunds

Answered!
Brian311
Level 2
Valletta, Malta

Cockroaches and refunds

We have a guests staying for about 2 weeks, half way through their stay they are complaining that there are cockroaches in the house. Our properties are on an island (tropical weather), therefore a cockroach entering the house is not unheard of, although we haven't had any complaints whatsoever this year.

They called this evening, after a series of  'coincidental series of events' that I wouldn't like to go through here...

In any case I explained that we have no control over cockroaches entering the house and that I can spray the house tomorrow morning. I feel there is nothing more to do. However the guests are indicating that they will probably leave tomorrow to go to a hotel and I'm assuming that they will request a refund.

I don't feel they are entitled to any sort of refund in this case, however I wanted to get some feedback.

What are your views?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Jason1364
Level 3
Chuluota, FL

I live in central Florida, 40 year resident.  

Have killed 1000 roaches in my lifetime. Have de-infested rental homes myself. A properly sealed, dry, and treated home should not show more than one roach in a weeks time.  

If a guest encounters more than one rogue cockroach in a week, then the host has a problem with sealed, dry, or treated. Period.  

Occasionally one large one may be able to sneak in for the night, but more than that and you have a disgusting problem that requires sealing, drying, and treating.  Refund $ then go seal, dry, and treat the property before renting it again

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72

Thank you, @Sarah977. I’ll try cinnamon powder, sounds like good natural thing and I like the smell. Here from spring till deep autumn we also have windows opened. I have nothing against spyders, but this huge flyin cockroaches are scaring me. And ants can bite, not pleasant at all to have them. I have special boxes agains ants, but prefer to have extra protection. The most difficult thing is to forse guests not to eat anything in the room! 

@Yulianna0   Yes, those flying cockroaches (in English they're called saw palmetto bugs) are horrid.

I find just alerting guests that if they leave food around in their rooms, cups with an inch of sweetened coffee or other drinks or even food wrappers, that they might find ants or cockroaches crawling all over their room within a very short time, freaks them out enough that they don't do it. Most people don't look forward to an insect invasion.

I do offer use of my kitchen, so it's not a problem for them to eat there or if they want to consume something in their room, to bring the dirty dishes or food leftovers down to the kitchen when they're done.

@Sarah977, I also put it in house rules. But I think that I will copy some pictures of their possible “roommates” and will show it in the beginning of their stay:) As I’m on the ground floor, I’m aware of possibility of invasion and cleaning the floors every day. But not in the guests room. Let’s see if terrifying pictures will work.

@Yulianna0  I don't mention it in my listing at all, I think it would turn away potential guests. I just mention it casually when I'm showing them their room, etc. "So as this is the tropics, there's lots of insects- they're endemic to the area, whether you're staying here or at a fancy beachfront house. It's really important that you don't leave food or dirty dishes around in your room or you might have an ant invasion. Here's your clean towels and the light switch for the bathroom is here, etc." I find if I just mention it casually, rather than make a big deal of it, they seem to take it in stride.

@Sarah977, I have it in the listing even with posible fine for breaking the rule. But seems that people don’t take it seriously until they see this big ugly creatures. 

Hello,

My company provides cockroach pest control service you should need after contact this company & get the details. I share my company site http://www.wollongongsafepestcontrol.com.au/cockroach-pest-control/ you should try this.

Lizz157
Level 1
Hayward, CA

Roaches are different from other kinds of bugs though. They carry tons of bacteria and taking them home and having them infest their own home and having to hire an exterminator at their own cost isn’t cheap. 

Jason1364
Level 3
Chuluota, FL

I live in central Florida, 40 year resident.  

Have killed 1000 roaches in my lifetime. Have de-infested rental homes myself. A properly sealed, dry, and treated home should not show more than one roach in a weeks time.  

If a guest encounters more than one rogue cockroach in a week, then the host has a problem with sealed, dry, or treated. Period.  

Occasionally one large one may be able to sneak in for the night, but more than that and you have a disgusting problem that requires sealing, drying, and treating.  Refund $ then go seal, dry, and treat the property before renting it again

I stayed in a place that had so many roaches Florida Scorpions had come in also. That was least of my issues. air bnb doesn’t seem to care about it or their reputation 

Bianca467
Level 1
De Motte, IN

WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SOMETHING?! **

**[Inappropriate comment edited in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Anna11861
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Hello guys,

I just moved out of an apartment with cockroaches. Furthermore, there was bad smelling air coming into my room when I opened the window. The room was located in the basement (I knew that), but it was not clear that through the whole apartment (with in total 7 rooms) there was no fresh air coming in and no sunlight. When I moved in, there was still a smell of paint or new floors, which did not go away. One morning I woke up next to a half-dead cockroach. The place is in the South of Europe, quite warm but usually no unwanted insects (I lived in this city before). 

When I contacted the host, she became defensive, saying that its normal to have cockroaches in this city, and explained that the building was very old and thats the reason why its quite common to have these issues. She did not agree to any kind of refund, from her messages I would say she is angry. I also contacted the AirBnB support, but they said I should fix this with the host. 

Does anyone have experience with this? I am afraid, I am going to lose a lot of money 😞

Regards!

What was the end result of this? Did you get your refund for the nights not stayed 

Same here, support refused to refund me.